Technical new cinq - few questions

Currently reading:
Technical new cinq - few questions

have just picked up a '97 R Cinq sporting and have a few questions, most are just me being picky and as i didnt have a stereo to turn up i couldnt just hide them away :D

Passanger seat is squeky, have found the problem a little rubber bit is missing from underneath, where the seat meets the runners, can i get another bit or is there an alternative way of fixing it

Drivers door makes a cracking noise when i open/close it, the hinges are not buckled so no metal to metal contact, but the owner told me about some kind of strap on door was casuing this :confused: , he said he was planning on taking it off but never got round to it :eek:

Fan vibrates and car sounds like a tank when it comes on, i dont remember it being as noisy in my sei :eek: , possible problem or do they all sound like that :p

other than that a great little car, puts the fun back in driving (y)

cheers dave, with my large ass the drivers seat got no chance of moving :D , it is only a temporary measure until i get enough money together for a new interior :eek:

the fan, a quick search has lead me to think it bearings are shot, possible re-oil or new fan??

Hi Gaz
The piece the guy was talking about on the door is the check strap it`s the metal part in the middle of the door aperture(between the hinges)it stops the door opening to wide,they wear out over time,sometimes you can clean and regrease them but if it`s been worn it would have to be replaced.
Cheers
Adrian

my horn doesnt work either, i can here clicking when i press it, am going to have a look at the connections cause i've read about dodgy horns before

AIJ29 said:
Hi Gaz
The piece the guy was talking about on the door is the check strap it`s the metal part in the middle of the door aperture(between the hinges)it stops the door opening to wide,they wear out over time,sometimes you can clean and regrease them but if it`s been worn it would have to be replaced.
Cheers
Adrian

i can see it now, you can see it jump when you open the door more than half way and that what makes the sound (well it looks like that to me :eek:)

gaz_wrexham said:
i can see it now, you can see it jump when you open the door more than half way and that what makes the sound (well it looks like that to me :eek:)

Hi Gaz
Yep thats the thing,if it`s jumping i`d say its fooked:D
I think they are only bolted in inside the door and have a little rawl pin(type thing)in the other end,Get down to the scrappies and try to find a quiet one(y)
Cheers
Adrian

J333EVO said:
just replace the hoen as it ounds crap anyway, you can for about a tener get a decent sounding horn from halfords or anyonther Ring supplier!

my last attempt with a horn from halfords resulted in a new ecu, codebox and a ride home from skeggy on the back of a low loader :eek: , but will i learn from my mistakes, i think not......trip to halfords is called for :D

AIJ29 said:
Hi Gaz
Yep thats the thing,if it`s jumping i`d say its fooked:D
I think they are only bolted in inside the door and have a little rawl pin(type thing)in the other end,Get down to the scrappies and try to find a quiet one(y)
Cheers
Adrian

they look easy enough to replace, wasnt sure if door need to come off to get at it though, the pin type thing looks like it can be gently removed with a hammer and screwdriver :D

is there need for a check strap or can i just remove it and not replace it, or swap with passanger side maybe :chin:

Hi
You MUST have a check strap as on a windy day creased door/wing/a piller may appear:D
Not sure if they are sided it`ll be worth a look but then if you find one at a scrappy you may as well get the right one
Cheers
Adrian

yay, back with a cento - and you bought one without a cock this time :p

them rubber bits from the seats, i bought some from fiat the other day. I have some spare, pm me your address and when im back in stafford i'll post one out to you.

As the fans wear out they do get noisy. It might just be loose. Its bolted to the rad at 3 points. Should be able to reach them all with the bumper still on. If not, £58 from fiat if you fancy a new one.

re new interior, evil jaxx is selling his sei abarth interior for around £120-150 iirc, would look amazing in their, i was gonna get it but no £££s atall! and too far from me to travel.

hope this helps

Craig

AIJ29 said:
Hi
You MUST have a check strap as on a windy day creased door/wing/a piller may appear:D
Not sure if they are sided it`ll be worth a look but then if you find one at a scrappy you may as well get the right one
Cheers
Adrian

have just checked the passenger side and there aint one there lol

cheers arc (y)

will have a look at the fan and if it not loose then i let you know dave, thanks :D

a few other things i noticed today

i found a 3rd brakelight in the boot :confused: , is this standard on a cinq or has it been put on by a previous owner?

went to change the bulbs with 100w ones and noticed the drivers side connection was melted, im thinking of getting a good connector from a scrapyard and making it fit

the horn is now working :woot: i fiddled around with the connections and checked the fuses, not sure what i done but it now makes a peep :woot:

so my list for scrappies is :

headlight connector
door bins (drivers is broke but could do with a pair)
check straps

have been reading through the reciepts that i had with the car, it was first brought from research in nuneaton, had a new rad in 2003 , new backbox and centre section in 2004 , rear suspension arms at 52k they had worn and has had the petrol tank done under the recall

EDIT - cheers craig, will see if he has it in a few weeks, im broke now until payday :( , but the chances are it would be gone as they are sought after

gaz_wrexham said:
went to change the bulbs with 100w ones and noticed the drivers side connection was melted, im thinking of getting a good connector from a scrapyard and making it fit

the horn is now working :woot: i fiddled around with the connections and checked the fuses, not sure what i done but it now makes a peep :woot:

You may find the reason its mealted is cos someone was running to high a wattagw of bulb, like the 100W you are propsoing to use.

See the Auto Express bulb test to choose an upgraded bulb that will not melt anything. http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

J333EVO said:
You may find the reason its mealted is cos someone was running to high a wattagw of bulb, like the 100W you are propsoing to use.

See the Auto Express bulb test to choose an upgraded bulb that will not melt anything. http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/

i better get my bulbs checked then cause i have swapped with same wattage ones that i have on my sei 60w/55 (i think) ring xenon ones

it won't have melted the connection down to the higher wattage bulb, its done it because its a bad connection and gets hot. mine has done this. clean up the spade connector the best you can and squish it slightly with some long nose pliers before you put it back onto the bulb

arc said:
it won't have melted the connection down to the higher wattage bulb, its done it because its a bad connection and gets hot. mine has done this. clean up the spade connector the best you can and squish it slightly with some long nose pliers before you put it back onto the bulb

What you say is correct, but i have seen many cars melt there connectors due to high wattage bulbs being fitted, high wattage, more heat, more current draw etc etc on integrales the blooming column switch actually melts if you fit to high a wattage bulb, best sticking to the legal and correct wattage bulb for your car, just go for a better bulb.

Last edited:
Back