30th Birthday Ideas - Help!!

Currently reading:
30th Birthday Ideas - Help!!

My dear Brother is 30 years old in June and want to get him a nice present. Was thinking about one of these half day / day driving experiences.

Anyone been on one of them? If so, what are they like? Worth the money?

Anyone have any suggestions? Car racing etc?

I know a lot of them only do them certain times of the year, with his birthday being in June closest to then.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you (y) (y) (y)

thankfully charlotte has already said we cant do it as there is a wife, so i dont have to dignify that with an answer :nono:

I've done one of those Rallying Red letter days. absolutely brill!

Made the Sei feel really lame when I got in it though. all slow and i almost put it in a hedge as i overestimated the handling after throwing a seriously modded 206 around all day.

I upset my Sei when I thought that but she forgives me and knows I love her really. lol

Charlotte, i did the Boots Ultimate Driving Experience day at £180 (i think). I had a large choice of what I could do from rallying to single seat racing to Silverstone Grand Prix Experience.

It started off great, we were told that we were some of the few people who get to drive the full Grand Prix track (exactly how it was raced the week before for the British GP) and we were going to be driving the Audi TT 3.2 V6 DGS (twin clutch+gearbox = extremely quick gear changes). Then they said "you will get 20-25 minutes in the car" - everybody but me seemed happy with that so I shut up and pretended it was what I expected (for £180 I expected alittle more I admit!). Drove down to the pits and parked up, got helmets and were given partners. Mine was an old bloke and so was my "instructor". I allowed him to go first, I wanted to get my feet a bit and play with the camcorder my gf had brought lol.

The cars went around (along with a Caterham at the same time making a hell of a noise!) and came back, all but my car, nice, he came about 5 minutes after everybody else (mainly because the old bloke took 3 mins longer than everybody else to get strapped in lol) so I quickly went to the car and introduced myself etc.

From this point he made me feel totally uncomfortable (this isn't something I really told my gf) like I didn't understand about the harness straight away so he got quite rude about that making me feel dead stupid. OK, i can forget that. However, over the next 18 minutes he made me feel even more uncomfortable, I felt like he wasn't constructively advising me on my driving but was actually criticising and at times nearly taking the ****. I know totally why he should be quite stern about it incase I was dangerous (which wasn't the case, I simply wasn't aggressive enough IMO) but when I came down the start finish straight and went underneath the second set of lights and not in between the second and third set and got shouted at I got quite upset if you get what I mean?

So yeah, it was fun driving but I wanted an ejector seat button for my "instructor". He asked me if I wanted to go off auto and I said "no thanks, it's hard enough and I just want to do everything else I can right now" "oh, ok" he seemed shocked rather than understanding. Next time we came past the pits "can you go in please" thought fine as my concept of time was obviously destroyed in the car. Pulled into pits and hang on, where is everybody else? Last out by 5 minutes I was first in by 3 minutes - so assuming the first out was the first in after me, around 10 minutes less than everybody else! 18 minutes it was I got (camcorder showed it) and I was quite pissed off.

He then took me around the track once (i.e. out pit lane, in pit lane, not a full lap) which was mind blowing but i frankly hadn't wanted to get back in the car with the idiot.

Then drove back to the building we were based in (as smurfhead, my car felt like a joke! The acceleration from my uno in second was like the tiny delay you got in the TT when you floored it and it took a short time for the car to change down gear or whatever)

Then got a crappy certificiate and supposedly an advice slip on impoving driving, all of which I think I was given As on - so kind of pointless! We were told we could get a photo of us driving too, went to the gift shop for it and i think the disc version (floppy disk) was £26 and the disc plus print was £35.....for a photo!

Walked out with gf and said I needed the toilet, she said "well go" but I was so pissed off by it all I didn't even want to go back in the building.

It was a good experience, worth a £180? Personally I think definitely not, you must be joking but I am quite mean with my money. However, £10 a minute is a serious expenditure for most people, i mean it's more than Stu earns! I was unlucky with my instructor and the timing, I complained to boots who agreed with me and gave me £35 as an apology - originally offered a high speed passenger lap but I told them it would cost me more than £35 to get to Silverstone!

Silverstone also lied to boots sending them the brief from the day claiming that everybody had done 2 lots of 6 laps and maybe I had missed my second go?! Erm, I bet my life there was no second go! Silverstone also claimed that it was possible I was first in and last out due to overtaking everybody and lapping them, to which I replied "yeah right!"

Maybe I was unlucky but I will never do an experience day in my life, if I want to do something (like Stu mentioned) I would sort it out myself, lots of people offer services like that you just have to do a bit of looking and don't get the fancy packaging you get at say Boots.

BTW: If I had a better instructor but still got the same amount of time I would have still have been dead annoyed so it wasn't just our personality's clashing.

If you still want to go ahead whatever you would do I would make sure you know exactly what you will get for your money - I told boots that this is a huge problem, if people were aware they would get 20-25 minutes in the car they wouldn't be so unhappy when they got that. They said "they would look into it" but they know as much as i do that sales would drop if people say they were spending the best part of £200 (excl. transport etc.) for 20 mins in a car which you are even guarenteed!

Sorry about the length of this, I find it hard to be brief sometimes lol, PM me/post here if you want any specific questions answering.

Paul

My mum went on a couple of hours flying in a little aeroplane a couple of years back...a two hour lesson or something at a local airfield, she enjoyed it (the view mainly) and I think they're fairly decently priced.

yep, because you're not going through a huge company like boots who don't need their cut. All they do is make products available that usually are available you just need to do work a little to find them.

I told boots I wouldn't ever recommend their products - £35 was the only apology I got and a "we do understand but we can't be mean to silverstone" or similar!

Panda-gal, I am sorry :( I don't know if it's good or bad I have put you off, i did enjoy it just no way was it worth that much in my books and if I saw that stupid man again I would severely have an urge to hit him! :D

At some point I think I will go on a flying taster session, obviously can't afford to start flying now but the tasters are fairly good value, I did a scuba diving taster once too which was cool. I would however (like you Kirsty) go through a local airfield (there are a few near here) because you get a lot LOT more for your money.

I really feel companies like boots are ripping you off when they say "grand prix experience" and you get 20-25 mins or less and they don't say as much! 18 minutes in a car isn't long!

I have done flying before, although not for a long time.

We live right next to an airfield, and managed to get an hours' trial flight for a birthday some years ago. It was great fun. Something I would like to pursue in a few years time, but it is expensive [my old partner in previous workplace got his PPL, though].

I did one of those experiences for my 16th- went to london for a photoshoot with hair and make up and stuff, it was actually quite good fun and gave me evidence that I could scrub up well if I wanted to! But I think it would have been cheaper to just contact a photographer and beautician without the middle man.

My parents offered me a flying lesson or a few hours off road driving after doing so well in my GCSEs. I chose driving (not sure why now) and we went to SafeStart in Newark. I had phoned up and explained I had about 50-100 hours of off road driving all on my own (I taught myself to drive) but obviously hadn't been told if what I was doing was correct and it was spread out from 12-16 and hadn't driven for 6 months or so. "Fine" they said and went on to say they had lots of oppotunities for anybody. I foresaw a huge centre set on the aerodrome with junctions, roundabouts, parking oppotunities etc. When we got there I sort of felt "oh ****" £50 i think it was for 3 hours. It was a piece of land about 100m by 50m overgrown by grass in areas through the old airstrip with fake roundabouts and a few nicked signs (roundabouts were drawn on with pieces of wood and arrows trying to fake it) - it looked like i had been disused for 10 years. There was a little shed and the man had arrived after us (late) and opened the gate and went infront of us.

We went in down this path (which is rain would probably need a 4x4!) and after about 10 seconds my dad stopped, said "are you all thinking what I am?" "yes" so he put it in reverse and we drove off as quickly as we could! £50 to drive around that? I would have been bored after 5 minutes. It may have been fine for an hour or two for a total beginner but I had told them my situation, grrr! A waste of a morning, instead I got a cheap digital camera which was also **** (despite being 2MP) so what a let down!

I think anything you do like that really should be looked into as much as possible to see if it suits your situation. But I guess that's the same as everything; my family for about 10 years holidayed in France in various gites/villas. When I was about 13 my mum had an op on her foot and we weren't expecting to go but late on she realised she would be ok to go so got looking really late, got a building which we knew was smaller than what we were used to, f-ing hell was a shed! I know we were used to villas with pools, a bathroom each etc. but this place was so mis-sold to use by Eilizibeth Burt, fortunately we got her banned from all the major French villa magazines but although promised a refund we got nothing.

Kirsty; you can do wonders with modern software ;)

Go for a trial flying lesson, I had one from Southampton airport to Sandown on the Isle of Wight. We landed on a grass strip and had a coffee in the flying club house and then flew around a bit before heading back to Southampton.

You really got a go on the controls, so much so that I thought if he didn't take over I would have to land the plane myself at Southampton.

As Southampton is an international airport, you get to fly among the big jets which is pretty good.

The place is called Solent Flight and I have had a couple more lessons since.
www.solentflight.com. I just checked and it is called the "Land Away" trial lesson and cost £159.00 online.

I think it is actually really good value as you do get a full 1 hour flying.

Andy

Back