Technical Abarth Kangarooing when cold

Currently reading:
Technical Abarth Kangarooing when cold

wilsy66

Has anybody else experienced this problem with cold starting. Any heavy pressure on the gas peddle results in a lovely learner driver Kangaroo. When the car has warmed up it is no problem at all.

Has anybody got it fixed as my dealer (excellent as they are) does not have a fix.

Yep! I've got the same problem. I asked the dealer was there an ECU mapping upgrade but they said there wasn't. The car's due in for a service soon so I'll raise it again and mention that others are having the same problem.
Maybe all Abarth owners should pester Fiat if we get no joy from the dealerships.;)

I've got similar problems with my dynamic. I wondered if there was an issue with the connection. Isn't the Stilo 'fly-by-wire'?

2003 Stilo 1.6 Dynamic, Orion Grey, 17" Alloys, Dual Zone Climate Control, Aluminum Sills, Clarion ICE, almost de-badged

[:0] Sounds like the ecu doesn't realise the engine's cold, and it's running too weak.

Pete.
Cinq sporting 1242cc
http://mysite.freeserve.com/close_to_cracking_up/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cinqs_and_Seis/
http://www.clubcento.co.uk/

Well I'm glad someone else has the problem too. I just happened to come across this forum and *heypresto* what was the first thing I noticed, but the kangarooing car.

Whilst it is embarrassing to say the least, it is also flipping dangerous too. I have to pull out of my office carpark onto a busy main road from a hill start. I've lost count of how many times I've hopped down the road waiting for an idiot to arrive in my backseat travelling at warp 10.

The only solution I've found is to pull off in 2nd (bit slow on a hill start) which gives you a chance to give it a bit of welly whilst it complains and grumbles without kangarooing. Also, if you can wait until the automatic choke has gone in before setting off it then appears to be OK.

Also, glad(?!) to see people suffering with the radio (stupid CD player not restarting from where it left off) and noisy suspension. Does anyones sky window also squeak? I'm sure its the seals and it doesn't half get on my t*ts. Also, I have a nice collection of bolts and screws from the cabin (can't find where they go back though). But after owning 2 Bravo's, it's all part of the Fiat experience.

Other than these problems, I really love the car and I even got loads of free stuff from the dealership when they lost my original car (I'll tell you the story sometime). I was also most impressed that I had to wait 13 weeks for the car in the first place. I mean, a long waiting time for a Fiat is almost unheard of!

Barbarian
3dr Stilo Abarth, Leather, Broom Yellow and Sky Window

After reading this topic I have to agree my car does exactly the same. Also I've noticed a pinking noise from the engine when cold.
I'm thinking of buying an air induction kit from K&N will this help sort these issues.

Spint Blue Abarth, HiFi upgrade, 17" Alloys, 5CD Changer, Alarm Sys.

Fiatnut - bit off thread so apologies - does your CD changer remember the CD position of the CD it is playing when your car ignition is turned off?

Only I'm thinking of getting one to try and work around my Connect Nav system forgetting the track position when I turn the engine off!

Ta.

No mines the same as all the others it returns to the begining of the cd. Very anoying.

Spint Blue Abarth, HiFi upgrade, 17" Alloys, 5CD Changer, Alarm Sys.

I have also noticed a slight kangaroo when pulling away first thing in the morning, I thought it was just my dodgy driving, I tend to ride the clutch a wee bit when pulling away now, take no chances.

Hate to say it guys. My CD Multichanger restarts from a few seconds after the position it was in when the ingnition is stopped and restarted. Never had any problems with the sound system, this is one of the cars best features.

Stilo 1.6 Dymanic 3 Dr

Hi guys,

My abarth is exactly the same. Kangaroos like mad when cold. Useless
dealer refuses to admit there's a problem, but it is quite dangerous.

As for CD player, if you have sat nav (abarth) the cd always returns to the beginning after the ignition is turned off. The sat nav wouldn't work otherwise. As far as i can ascertain there's no over-ride either. What a pain in the arse!

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sounds like the ecu doesn't realise the engine's cold, and it's running too weak<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thats bad if it is, this is also known as Detonation for those that don't know, too much of this and it could be, bye bye pistons time!

I have considerably more mods, THAN YOU!​
voldar02.gif
Pssssst my cars for sale​

I may have a solution to the problem. My car went in for a service and I asked them to investigate the kangarooing problem. I got a call to say they needed a part. I did ask what the part was and what it did, but if they guy had spoken in Swahili I'd have understood him better.

When I go for the car I'll ask again and let you know (assuming it fixes the problem!)

Barbarian

Hi
Yep our new abarth is the same toom, kangaroo's when cold (how embarassing, even for a lady driver!!).

We r booking it in for service this week, so will ask the question.

Also the cd returns to beginning when engine turned off, grrrr!!

Apart from that the car is amazing, am really pleased.

Can anyone recommend good alarm system??

Thanx

Mrs D

According to my dealership the part at fault is the "P1653 Phase Variator" (sounds like something out of Star Trek!). Unfortunately, (but not that unsuprisingly) there are no parts in the UK (or Milan for that matter) so the part is now on back order.

So no dashing to your dealership to order a part until I get mine! :D

Barbarian

Hi ,this could be a fix for your bunny hoping problem.

Talk to your service agent , but this fix has been successfull

replace the clutch solonoid valve which is situated in the selespeed robot. Then have a clutch degradation carried out on the examiner (diagnostic computer)

Hope this helps. Let us know your outcomes.

:D there is a intervention for engine@gearbox ecu,snew pt no can now be fitted for kangarooing from cold this problem occurs for the first minute or so then goes

my first abarth which was a pre launch 2001 model kangarooed badly when cold my dealer fitted 3 E.C.Us to the car it was fine for about 3 days then started to do it again, now have brand new abarth 3dr broom yellow its just over a month old done about 1,600 miles hassel free im over the moon. Can anyone tell me if this kangarooing starts at any particuler time of its ownership many thanks P.S has anyone had a result on there abarth kangarooing

Back