Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2014   #1
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Different airbag problem!

Hi Everyone


I know there have been loads of issues on here with airbag lights on with Punto Mk 2 (03 plate), but this seems to be a bit different from all the others.
Firstly, yes the drivers airbag light stays on, secondly, the passengers flashing airbag light does NOT come on when the ignition is turned. Thirdly, there is no communication with the ECU using Halfords systems (Autocentre). I tried other auto electricians too but the same thing.
Today I have downloaded FiatEcuScan and have ordered cables. I have also decided to remove the ECU and see about ordering one off Ebay.

My question is...has anyone else come across this particular problem before?

Thanks

Colin
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by colin lambert; 01-08-2014 at 08:18.
colin lambert is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-08-2014   #2
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,584
Thanks: 542
Trader Rating: 0
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta) 
Re: Different airbag problem!

unusual to say the least
be sure the one you buy off ebay has matching numbers and is also from a vehicle where airbags havent fired
(talking to someone i know this week who purchased a radiator off an accident damaged car about 2 years ago on he boy and radiator came with hole in it,seller responded, "well it came of damaged car what did you expect")
Thanks oldhammer thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

s and b is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 01-08-2014   #3
`
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 6,118
Thanks: 183
Trader Rating: 0
flisko has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Different airbag problem!

Quote Originally Posted by s and b View Post
unusual to say the least
be sure the one you buy off ebay has matching numbers and is also from a vehicle where airbags havent fired
(talking to someone i know this week who purchased a radiator off an accident damaged car about 2 years ago on he boy and radiator came with hole in it,seller responded, "well it came of damaged car what did you expect")

that is called a scam, unless guy selling it, didnt knew about that hole which is highly unlikely
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by flisko; 01-08-2014 at 21:59.
flisko is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-08-2014   #4
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cannock, Staffordshire
Posts: 800
Thanks: 37
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Different airbag problem!

Quote Originally Posted by colin lambert View Post
Hi Everyone


I know there have been loads of issues on here with airbag lights on with Punto Mk 2 (03 plate), but this seems to be a bit different from all the others.
Firstly, yes the drivers airbag light stays on, secondly, the passengers flashing airbag light does NOT come on when the ignition is turned. Thirdly, there is no communication with the ECU using Halfords systems (Autocentre). I tried other auto electricians too but the same thing.
Today I have downloaded FiatEcuScan and have ordered cables. I have also decided to remove the ECU and see about ordering one off Ebay.

My question is...has anyone else come across this particular problem before?

Thanks

Colin



Hi Colin, I had the exact same issue as you have been having about 2 months ago. I purchased my car with the airbag light on. I tried plugging it in with multiecuscan and it wouldn't communicate with the ecu. I also took it to a specialist and he couldn't communicate with it and I was told the ecu had gone. I panicked then thinking that it was going to be the worlds worst problem.


It wasn't just look on ebay for Airbag Ecu modules and there are plenty. You can normally match it up with the colour of the label or if you check the numbers match that's a better way.


I just plugged in the new ecu and like magic the airbag light went off. Didn't even need to clear the error code.


I hope this helped, I know @Ziggy122 and @oldhammer helped me alot when I had this problem
Thanks oldhammer thanked for this post
Likes homeward liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by oXRUSSXo; 03-08-2014 at 12:05. Reason: n/a
oXRUSSXo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 04-08-2014   #5
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Different airbag problem!

Thanks oXRUSSXo

I went to ebay, found the exact one for about 17 and got it today. I went straight out and removed the old one (40 mins after disconnecting the battery) and fitted the new one.
The light for the passenger airbag came on which we didn't have before, and the main light stayed on.
I connected fiatecuscan with the red cable, connected to the airbag ECU and cleared the faults. Lights went out and all is well!

Perfect result.
Thanks

Colin
Likes oXRUSSXo, AndyRKett, homeward liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

colin lambert is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-08-2014   #6
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Different airbag problem!

i mite have this problem just wait 4 the cables to come, if i wont read the ecu is it hard to remove and where is it located and what u mean by matching the no's
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

kevavo is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2014   #7
Busy rebuilding pand'a
 
oldhammer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: manchester'ish'
Posts: 5,048
Thanks: 437
Trader Rating: 0
oldhammer has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Different airbag problem!

Quote Originally Posted by kevavo View Post
i mite have this problem just wait 4 the cables to come, if i wont read the ecu is it hard to remove and where is it located and what u mean by matching the no's
look to the left of the clutch pedal,and you will see plastic pannel,
take talks screws out and take pannel off,

4x 10 mm bolts is holding airbag ecu down, one of the bolts might be holding a earth strap in place if loom as been modified,
TAKEBATTERY LEAD OFF AND WAIT 15 MINS BEFORE REMOVING AIRBAG ECU
Thanks kevavo thanked for this post
__________________
if some one has helped you here click the thanks button it costs nothing,

Last edited by oldhammer; 12-08-2014 at 23:12.
oldhammer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2014   #8
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7,584
Thanks: 542
Trader Rating: 0
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta) 
Re: Different airbag problem!

Quote Originally Posted by oldhammer View Post
look to the left of the clutch pedal,and you will see plastic pannel,
take talks screws out and take pannel off,

4x 10 mm bolts is holding airbag ecu down, one of the bolts might be holding a earth strap in place if loom as been modified,
takebattery lead off and wait 15 mins before removing airbag ecu
3
Thanks kevavo, oldhammer thanked for this post
__________________
s and b is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 12-08-2014   #9
Busy rebuilding pand'a
 
oldhammer's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: manchester'ish'
Posts: 5,048
Thanks: 437
Trader Rating: 0
oldhammer has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Different airbag problem!

Quote Originally Posted by s and b View Post
3
i put 4 becoz 3 isnt a even number,

thats my excuse anyway,



good point tho// there is indeed 3 unless someones nailed an extra one in,
Thanks kevavo thanked for this post
Likes s and b liked this post
__________________
if some one has helped you here click the thanks button it costs nothing,
oldhammer is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) airbag light problem? oldhammer Punto (Mk2/2b) 4 26-10-2013 22:35
(T) A different airbag problem Lynton56 Stilo 2 08-10-2012 12:58
(G) airbag problem - can you help with these parts? grundleweed Stilo 0 06-06-2009 12:02
(T) airbag problem scintilla Punto (Mk2/2b) 2 28-04-2009 10:02
(T) airbag light problem? Joe H Punto (Mk2/2b) 3 12-10-2007 12:12