Technical Whining Noise from passenger side engine bay

Currently reading:
Technical Whining Noise from passenger side engine bay

deziking

Hello,
I have a 2014 500L with 68k on it automatic italy transmission. I am hearing a like a whining/whistle noise from the passenger side engine bay(I'm in USA) I took dealer for oil change and had the tech test drive and then afterwards I drove with the tech. He did hear the noise but says that he checked front both sides of suspension/brakes but couldn't find anything. This noise is kinda annoying when its really quiet in the car with no radio or hvac on. Anyone else came across this issue? Since no check engine light or performance issue dealer says its okay to drive. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Is the noise louder when your first start the engine
Or is the noise only when the engine is running or when your driving?

There is no noise when its idle or when first started. Its when you drive it the noise comes on and when you stop goes away.

Does the pitch change with speed or does it go away if you turn one way or the other

OK so if you come to stop and turn the pitch gets higher as speed increases. Now if you go on high way with curved turns pitch sound stays the same unless I give acceleration it goes up. But it goes up to point where it won't get high pitch it will stay the same but you can really hear it even with radio on. The pitch gets higher as you accelerate from 0-60mphs or higher but the noise reaches it top level and will stay the same as long the speed is high.

Not familiar with the us model not living over there
But it sounds like it's probably coming from the one of the belts or pulleys either the aux belt that drives the air-conditioning alternator ect or the timing belt

Most likely the bearing on one of the pulleys. That's where I'd start looking

Last edited:
Not familiar with the us model not living over there
But it sounds like it's probably coming from the one of the belts or pulleys either the aux belt that drives the air-conditioning alternator ect or the timing belt

Most likely the bearing on one of the pulleys. That's where I'd start looking

Thanks for replying brotha. In order for me to test this is kinda hard. Because If I take the belt out I won't have steering and I don't want to mess that up. If I spray the belt I dont think that will help. Brings it down to the pulley/idler maybe no way to test unless I take belt off and spin it by hand or see if there is play but that wont be a big help.

Back