Technical high pitch noise from engline and knocking noise in rear

Currently reading:
Technical high pitch noise from engline and knocking noise in rear

elcrack

sometimes when i accelerate there is a high pitch noise coming from the engine, the noise stops when i change into 3rd. i have a feeling it is a belt slipping or something? any ideas?

and the other worrying thing is that whenever i go over bumps in the road there is a knocking/clunking noise coming from the rear. i have a feeling it is the suspension because i went over a huge bump in a field at around 40mph and eversince its had this problem so its most probably because of that. does any1 know what it would be though?

regards,
elcrack

have you had a new exhaust fitted or a new back box?

I had a new back box fitted and have the same noise coming from mine when I go over large bumps or at low speeds on uneven roads.

theres alot of after market exhausts that knock on the underneath of the car and they need to be adjusted.

Alos check your exhaust and see if any of the fittings have come lose.

Thanks

Dan

kwik fit are saying it is the rear passenger radias arm which costs £119 including VAT. ill go elsewhere to here other professional opinions and prices. gd to here your opinion,

elcrack

the noise from the back could be a number of things with puntos bushes,exhaust,shockers and sumtimes the rubbers that hold the exhaust up can perish and make it nocking noise. and the front noise could be the tensioner for the cambelt the barings tend to fail in the tesioner good idea to change the belt and check for play in the tensioner or just replace it.

Sounds, from what you described, that cam belt tensioner is noisy - worse when cold.

Could be rear subframe bushes are worn - can get cup bushes to cure this and inexpensive to fit - if it is these.

hey guys

That whining noise Ive had early in the summer, but it went, and now its come back over the last two weeks.

So I need to check my cambelt tensioner and possibly replace it, or replace the cambelt? I've prob got this wrong now.

Whatever I need to do, should I be able to do it myself or is it a job for a garage, cos I know nuffin.

ste :bang:

The knocking noise is caused by your exhaust coming out of the rubber clip at the back. I had the same problem after having a new exhaust fitted.
It was ok until I went over a speed bump, then it was back to the knocking.
I took it back to the garage 6 times until it was sorted. In the end I ended up having 2 new exhaust.

I also had the high pitched noise, from what I have read I now know for the future as I no longer have the car, as I part exchanged it for my new Punto :)

hey, the knocking noise may be a radial arm as this is a very common problem with the puntos especially, if you look on search thing then im sure there has beeen post on here before about it. Does the noise only occur through a certain range of revs as this is similar to what mine does as if i keep my foot down and dont change gear until a bit later then it stops. It happens in all gears i think

Anyone know of a good garage in the birmingham/coventry area to help me sort my whining engine?

Back