General oil and battery light dimly lit on brand new punto

Currently reading:
General oil and battery light dimly lit on brand new punto

kat64

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any idea what wrong with my brand new punto.
Since I got the car the oil and battery warning lights have been dimly lit whenever the engine is running and for a short time once the car is turned off.
2 weeks after getting the car I went on holiday for a week and when I returned the car wouldn't start so had to be bump started.
The following day it went into the garage to investigate the problem with the warning lights. I was told they reset the lights and the battery just needed a good charge.
The following morning it took 3-4 attempts to start the car. It was turning over but wouldn't start. This happened again when I left work. I stopped at the supermarket on the way home and when I started my car there the airbag light came on. Restarting the car turned it off. This happened again that night as well as the engine management light coming on. Thr following morning and after work it again took 3-4 attempts to start the car.
It then went into the garage where they put a new battery in. On collection I noticed the lights were back on.
It went back in and they've now put in a new instrument cluster and again on collection I noticed that the lights were still on!
The garage apparently have no idea what's wrong or what to try next so are contacting fiat in the morning. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas what the problem could be as I'm quite frustrated by the whole situation!
Thanks

Hello !

No idea. No chance you have there...

IF they remplaced the battery it is a good start. It is the same as factory ?

For the light, they are full lighted when you turn the key on MAR and dimmed when engine is runing ? Any pic ?

Which Punto version / engine do you have ?

With the amount of trips back and forth to the dealership already, I'd be inclined to tell them to get you a replacement car and (if you've got rid of your old one) tell them to provide a car whilst you're waiting for a replacement to arrive.

I work in a dealership (not Fiat though) & I don't think it's acceptable that you've had that many issues with a recurring fault straight after delivery.

Hi
Cars going back in again tomorrow!
Its a 1.4 fiat punto GBT.
The lights are fully lit when I start the car b when I unlock the car they come on for a few seconds and stay lit once the engine is running and for a few seconds after.
If it doesn't get fixed after this latest visit I'll definitely be returning it and going else where. There were a couple other minor issues when I first collected it too!
I've taken a photo of the lights dimly lit and fully lit so you can see a comparison. I'll just figure out how to post them!

It won't let me post the photos here as I've not done enough posts yet but they're in the members gallery.

Okay. They have to fix your car quick, you bought it at a Fiat dealer no ?

You can post images to :
http://postimage.org/ (for exemple) and past links here.

You have a serious electrical problem, this can be a "little thing" like a a bad grounding or a more costly dead electrical unit (body computer, dashboard panel, etc.)

Thanks

Quite strange, I will see in my Punto if this make the same at night.

Seem very dimmed on the pic, more visible in real ?
Its without key inserted, inside the car door closed (not locked) ? (there a different level of "sleep" for electronics units, depending on locked, open, engine on, etc.)

Hi
The lights are much more obvious at night than in the picture but almost impossible to see during the day.
I got the car from Arnold Clark Fiat.
The lights come on as soon as the car is unlocked and can stay on once the car is locked.

I was back at the garage today and told them I've had enough and want to return it which the sales guy wasn't too happy about. He refused to discuss it with me until he'd spoken to the workshop. During our phone conversation later he told me that the instrument cluster hasn't been changed yet and that's the problem. I then phoned the service department as this wasn't what I'd been told and wasn't what they thought either. Now waiting for the mechanic to come in in the morning to check with him!
Feeling so frustrated with it all!

It went back in and they've now put in a new instrument cluster and again on collection I noticed that the lights were still on!
The garage apparently have no idea what's wrong or what to try next so are contacting fiat in the morning.

Oh dear............

anyway, car needs a cluster its a common fault across the Fiat range, if your dealer isn't aware of this then consider going elsewhere.

looks like they have already tried that T :)

could it not be a earthing issue with the cluster?

It now appears they possibly haven't put in a new instrument cluster according to the branch manager. Ther service centre however think they have so I'm waiting for them to check with the mechanic in the morning! All a bit crazy!

It's just not acceptable.

If they are not sure and the problem is still visible, they do what they have to do until it's work like a charm !
It's a new car.

Seen on mine, nothing visible at the dashboard.

Got it back today and it's all fixed. Turns out they hadn't fitted a new instrument cluster yet but one of the mechanics thought they had when he saw them trying one in my car to see if it would fix it. Lots of poor communication has gone on! Now all that's left is my big complaint! Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong or the cars going back!
Thanks for your suggestions.

As often, more communication problem than a really technical problem.

Happy for your the cluster is changed and now all is fine. :)

Starting your car is fine too, now ?

The car starts fine now. The new battery they put in last weekend sorted that problem.
I've now noticed condensation in the rear lights but looks like this is common and not a problem. Possibly down to the design or something. Just going to keep an eye on that and hope theres no more problems with the car!

We had the same, they replaced both sides on mine under warranty. The new light units have no issue at all now.

Back