Technical How to reset the ECU on Fiat Punto Grande

Currently reading:
Technical How to reset the ECU on Fiat Punto Grande

SteveGriff10

How do you reset the ECU on 2007 Fiat Punto Grande 1.4? I have disconnected the battery and left it for about 3 hours, but when I reconnect the battery and start the car the engine management light is still on? Also which fuse number is the ECU on?

If the engine management light is on then the ECU is detecting a fault....which needs fixedl

IF you have previously fixed a fault then the car will need 3 drive cycles and if it does not detect the fault then it will extinguish the light.

How do you reset the ECU on 2007 Fiat Punto Grande 1.4? I have disconnected the battery and left it for about 3 hours, but when I reconnect the battery and start the car the engine management light is still on? Also which fuse number is the ECU on?

I had an engine fault for a while. I can't remember what the code was.
It was a Turbo fault basically.
My guess was a clogged up EGR valve.

1st time it happened I called out the breakdown guys who resetted it for me.
2nd time I did the same as above
3rd time I left it be and it eventually went off after 1 week.

The 3 faults were about 6-7 month apart and happened over just under 2 years.

Welcome to the frustrations but good rewards of having a GP :D:D:D

I have replaced the old faulty parts and now the fault has disappeared, but the engine management light is still on. So I need to reset it or the ecu. Any ideas?

I have replaced the old faulty parts and now the fault has disappeared, but the engine management light is still on. So I need to reset it or the ecu. Any ideas?

Should auto reset the light I believe, it staying on means there is still a fault somewhere, I'm sure someone else will probably be able to confirm if I'm correct or not.

If you've fixed the fault for sure, then the EML light should extinguish after a while.
Usually about 50 miles, or a number of stop start cycles.
Basically, when the ECU believes the fault has gone for sure, and is not coming back, it will turn out the light.
However, even though the car may be running right, or you feel that it's running right, the ECU might say otherwise, then no amount of the above will clear it.
The ECU is monitoring hundreds of components, it only takes a fault on one to put the light on.
The only way you'll know is to have the codes read, note them, clear them, and see if the fault comes back.
Incidentally, the single yellow light means that 1 or more of about 2000 errors has been detected.

fault light still on = real fault still present. end of story. You might have cleared one fault but still have something else you are not aware of. get it scanned and fixed, the engine light will go out by itself if nothing is wrong with the car.

Back