General Adding Extras off a higher model?

Currently reading:
General Adding Extras off a higher model?

Bailes

My Mum's just bought a 1.2 Panda Dynamic ECO.
Fairly basic, leccy windows and central locking.

How easy would it be to add the cluster with a rev counter? And how easy would it be to get the trip computer to work on that?
What about adding steering controls?
Another thing is remote central lokcing but the cleaver little thing on the forum dragged a thread up for me and reading it made it sound abit complex?
Anything else that would be easy to fit?

Ta, Bailes.

A positive attitude, that's the spirit! It shouldn't be "how easy....." but rather, "how next to impossible..." It'd be "easy" to go buy the higher spec'd model and be done with it. Wheels and tyres and a Bluetooth head unit, now that's easy.

Cluster with a rev counter should fit right in, all the connections are there, and I believe the mileage etc. is actually stored in the ECU. You just need to find a cluster at a wrecker.

Cluster with a rev counter should fit right in, all the connections are there, and I believe the mileage etc. is actually stored in the ECU. You just need to find a cluster at a wrecker.

Nope, will need replacement stalks as well. Not sure if the wiring is there standard to recognise the 'trip' button on the stalk.

But if the OP just wanted a rev counter could be quite a neat little mod :) I might consider it if I keep my car long long term (e.g well out of warranty).

As the Punto My Life TV advert states, why not just buy the better-equipped model to start with? If bargain-basement motoring is your desire, that's great. If you need the extra 'trinkets', get a car with them fitted as standard [which will have a greater resale value than one that has had the additional specification fitted].

Just my 2p :)

I agree that it would be much cheaper and easier to simply buy a car with all those options already on it in the first place than trying to retro fit them all.

Such a helpful post when he already states it's ALREADY bought, and his Mums. Were non of you ever young?

In answer, anything is possible if you don't mind a bit of work. Best of luck improving the car you already have.

Alot of this hasnt been done before on the panda, or atleast by forum dwellers.

my dad added the steering wheel controls to his mini clubman a while back, it cost £450 to do as it required a new column controller which looked identical and had the same number on it.

The best bet more most of this is to find a higher spec car in a local scrapyard and literally take the whole system off it. OK if its your car and it can stand around while you have it stripped down.

Eleganza parts would the way forward and best would be a harness swap, probably about 2 days work if you are fairly competent and have somewhere to store the whole interior of the car. Then you would get the climate control aswell.

Its can be done in easier stages but really does depend on what car you already have.

Alot of this hasnt been done before on the panda, or atleast by forum dwellers.

my dad added the steering wheel controls to his mini clubman a while back, it cost £450 to do as it required a new column controller which looked identical and had the same number on it.

The best bet more most of this is to find a higher spec car in a local scrapyard and literally take the whole system off it. OK if its your car and it can stand around while you have it stripped down.

Eleganza parts would the way forward and best would be a harness swap, probably about 2 days work if you are fairly competent and have somewhere to store the whole interior of the car. Then you would get the climate control aswell.

Its can be done in easier stages but really does depend on what car you already have.

What your on about here though IMO isn't far off of 'reshelling' the Eleganza into OP's current car. Something I don't think insurance will like much cost wise ;)

Such a helpful post when he already states it's ALREADY bought, and his Mums. Were non of you ever young?

In answer, anything is possible if you don't mind a bit of work. Best of luck improving the car you already have.

Yes I was young and my first car was a Fiat Panda 1.1 Super. It had more rot than metal and had no features at all. I loved that car and drove it around for a couple of years before the rot got too much. I never fitted any extras to it and just enjoyed the car for what it was. There is something pleasurable about driving a very basic car. It has been said that the more you add to a car the less driving experience you get. Do "young" people these days get into a car and think oh my god I cant drive this thing because it has no rev counter! At the end of the day WHY buy something that you didnt want in the first place?

Yes the OP asked a question and I am answering it. And the answer is just leave the car alone and enjoy it. If you want a higher model then you should have bought a higher model in the first place. We are not talking about thousands of pounds difference here. The Panda is a very cheap car to begin with anyway.

So whats the best option here? Spend a few hundred pounds more on buying a better model with all the features you want. Or spend much more on used parts and then mickey mouse them together to get a frankenstein car. A car thats still no better than the higher model you could have bought for a bit more money at the start. And it will be worse than an unabused base model because somebody has messed about with it. Oh and please dont try and tell me that the work may be of a high standard. I have seen (and bought) plenty of cars in the past with homebrew conversions and modifications. The one thing I always say when seeing the work is "why didnt they just leave it alone".

Back