General Front wipers stop while raining

Currently reading:
General Front wipers stop while raining

rjc147

Hi fellow FIAT owners,

This is my first post and I hope someone can help.

Partner has a 57 (very low mileage) Grande Punto Sporting owned from new.
While travelling to work on the motorway last week the front wipers suddenly stopped while it was raining heavily, obviously a very dangerous situation she was terrified but luckily managed to get off the motorway and stop the car.
The AA was called and they did a few tests and reset the body computer, everything was fine till today when the same thing happened.

A quick call to the dealer (Lookers Italia Stockport) to find out if this was a known problem and was shocked to find out that the wiper motor was not covered in the third year warranty(n)

Considering this is a critical component I find this totally unbelievable that it is not covered and especially when the car has such a low mileage.

If I get the dealer to look at it they are going to charge me (quite a bit).
Is there any way I can get FIAT UK to pay for this or does anyone now what the problem could be.

Thanks

Keep on good terms with the garage as they can help with good will gestures.
As T said it needs done so try asking them to encourage Fiat to help. You are not going to get anywhere demanding it gets done for free (3rd year warranty is pants) but you might get a gesture such as the part for free/reduced cost.

Any idea on costs to replace wiper motor assembly.
If it's not the wipers could it be the body computer

I would approach another dealership if there is one nearby. Most wont charge for diagnosis obviously respecting the fact they have to make profit as a business.

3yr warranty isn't that bad and a friendly dealer will advise you on the next course of action/options.

Motor/linkage (its all one unit) assembly is around £100 from memory.

I would approach another dealership if there is one nearby. Most wont charge for diagnosis obviously respecting the fact they have to make profit as a business.

3yr warranty isn't that bad and a friendly dealer will advise you on the next course of action/options.

Motor/linkage (its all one unit) assembly is around £100 from memory.

GP motors are available seperatley I'm sure, Re-con unit is about £60 + vat I think

Exactly the same thing happened to me today (08 Dynamic)

Still in the 2nd year warranty however...

Grr

Exactly the same thing happened to me today (08 Dynamic)

Still in the 2nd year warranty however...

Grr

Update,
Dealer came and collected car from work today, diagnosed faulty wiper motor
and replaced it same day. Good thing is that they did not charge me, even though car is just into third year warranty.
Problem now electric wing mirrors don't work now:bang:

Update,
Dealer would not came and collected car, so had to drive it when it had stopped raining.

Diagnosed faulty wiper motor and replaced it same day.

They did not fix the faulty console light however :bang:

Update,
Dealer came and collected car from work today, diagnosed faulty wiper motor
and replaced it same day. Good thing is that they did not charge me, even though car is just into third year warranty.
Problem now electric wing mirrors don't work now:bang:

What is it with FIAT dealers :mad:

This morning had a proper look at the plastic trim they had to remove to replace the wiper motor, you know the one that sits against the glass and covers the wiper motor. well lets say the gaps and quality of workmanship leaves a lot to be desired. Itis pretty obvious that once the retaining clips a prised off they are useless and cannot be used again but they havent bothered replacing them. There is also plastic trim just behind the engine that protects the motor which they also managed to break some clips off.

Why can't dealers do a job right first time, it's not rocket science

wrong, they are re-used! what makes you think they are not?

Then why is the rubber trim not sitting flush against the full length of glass.
I've tried to push down on the existing clips but it just pops back up.

Back