General Diesel Turbo

Currently reading:
General Diesel Turbo

twamgle

Is there any-one out there who knows much about turbochargers? I get the impression from 'hot-rodders' that is relatively straight-forward to fit a supercharger (admittedly their cars are in parts more often than my Panda (just)), so how easy is it to fit a turbocharger?

I have acquired what I believe to be a servicable turbocharger from a Ford Fiesta, 1.4 TDCi. It's not very big, but I'm guessing a diesel turbo will have more boost than a petrol turbo.

Admittedly the car would not be insured for the road if I was to fit the turbo. It would be going on to the circuit if I can find a league that would accept a 999cc Turbo Panda

diesel and petrol turbos are almost the same, it wouldn´t be worth the hassle to fit a turbo on a 999cc fire engine(i know as i´ve done it myself just read some past posts and you´ll know). It will give a LOT of power dependind on which turbo you get but you will need to fab a lot of parts(manifold adapter, plumb cooling, carb modifications, regulator installation etc). Soon i´ll post a guide o how to do it but i haven´t had the time to finish it[xx(]. Your biggest concern will be the internals and headgasket, high compression engines don´t like forced induction and basically become a time bomb:D. The guide should be up by next week at the latest if anyone else is interested.

heres a link to my latest post:D:
https://www.fiatforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14067

keep in mind the car would not be street legal for complexity reasons only

Largest stock engine is a 1.1 but there are rumours of a 1.3 but i haven´t seen it yet(my panda 55 is a 1.3:D, but it was a conversion made by dealer and sold as 55)

Back