General Punto 60s clutch juddering!!

Currently reading:
General Punto 60s clutch juddering!!

FePunto

Hi guys! My MK1 punto 60s has a juddering clutch in gear one when the engine's cold. This problem is less obvious after warming it up by running some miles or shifting to higher gears. Took it to two garages today, the guy in the first garage without even looking at/driving it told me it's the clutch wearing out and I'll need a new clutch. The second garage told me it's a leaking crankshaft seal that spills engine oil into the clutch assembly. Any idea who's right, although i'm sure either way they'll need to take out the clutch...:bang:

Both potentially could be right! First things first though, could well be that the clutch is contaminated with something, such as engine oil. You could try slipping the clutch and accelerating hard...not great for the clutch, but if it is just a bit of contamination it may well ware it off. Could be worth a try!

Just had to get my 60s clutch replaced recently because it had worn out. Pedal was vibrating quite a bit and juddering.

Thanks! I'll try slipping it hard today after work to see if it works!

Both potentially could be right! First things first though, could well be that the clutch is contaminated with something, such as engine oil. You could try slipping the clutch and accelerating hard...not great for the clutch, but if it is just a bit of contamination it may well ware it off. Could be worth a try!

How much did it cost you? The cheapest quote i found in Cambridge so far is 320 quid.

Just had to get my 60s clutch replaced recently because it had worn out. Pedal was vibrating quite a bit and juddering.

my punto done the same judder when cold had the clutch replaced but it's still juddering, it might be fuel prob as soon as mine is up to temp judder stops and its ok til next morning

i recently had our punto mk1 clutch replaced.the first garage quoted £300,but a bloke in a small garage who come recomended by a mate charged £80 labour,plus £50 for a clutch kit.it was the thrust bearing that was squealing in our case.

I have just bought this problem myself. I find if I engage gear 2 and slip the clutch with handbrake ON, it warms up the clutch plate and dries it out. It's then ok. I had a mini many years ago and replaced the brake linings with 'cheapos' and in damp weather, first braking near sent me through the windscreen as the brakes 'grabbed'. I think the Punto judder is akin to that. It would be interesting to know of different manufacturers clutch linings as comparison.

Back