Register Login
FIAT Auto Specialist Team
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2017   #1
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Dulogic gearbox fault

Hi, I could do with some help or any ideas to why my 2013 fiat 500 twinair convertible has a transmission problem. It all started yesterday I first started my car up in the afternoon and was driving Along as normal in automatic when all of a sudden it goes into neutral, beeps and on the dash flashing transmission, please check handbook. I then turned it off then turned it back on and gears came back. I thought it was just throwing a hissy fit because it was fine all day then. The got into my car this morning travelling to work when it did it again, but this time I had to turn my car on 4 times to get the gears back, I've used my car over 12 hours today and it's not done it since, it seems as though when it first starts up, please can anyone help me to shed the light though the tunnel.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Chloelouise is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-04-2017   #2
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,357
Thanks: 878
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Dulogic gearbox fault

Quote Originally Posted by Chloelouise View Post
Hi, I could do with some help or any ideas to why my 2013 fiat 500 twinair convertible has a transmission problem. It all started yesterday I first started my car up in the afternoon and was driving Along as normal in automatic when all of a sudden it goes into neutral, beeps and on the dash flashing transmission, please check handbook. I then turned it off then turned it back on and gears came back. I thought it was just throwing a hissy fit because it was fine all day then. The got into my car this morning travelling to work when it did it again, but this time I had to turn my car on 4 times to get the gears back, I've used my car over 12 hours today and it's not done it since, it seems as though when it first starts up, please can anyone help me to shed the light though the tunnel.
There is a long-running thread which deals with exactly this problem.

In summary, the selespeed unit (the part of the transmission which selects the gears) is likely wearing out and will need replacement soon. Sadly, it's not cheap.

The first step is to have the fluid level in the selespeed unit checked; to do this properly requires the system to be depressurised first. If it's low, then topping it up may provide a short term cure, but if it is, then something is leaking somewhere and the fault will surely return. Resetting the selespeed software using diagnostics may also provide a short term fix; many folks with problems sell their cars on after doing one or both of the above.

Folks contemplating the purchase of a secondhand dualogic should bear in mind the previous owner may have done just that.
Likes chas379 liked this post
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"


Last edited by jrkitching; 09-04-2017 at 05:14.
jrkitching is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2017   #3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 309
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
p6baseunit has donated!
Spain 
Re: Dulogic gearbox fault

If your in the UK, there are two suppliers on eBay that offer recon units and I think they both offer fitting also. 350-400 for the recon Selespeed Dualogic kit, which is much cheaper than 1600 for a new one!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

p6baseunit is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2017   #4
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 4,178
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
Greece 
Re: Dulogic gearbox fault

Quote Originally Posted by p6baseunit View Post
If your in the UK, there are two suppliers on eBay that offer recon units and I think they both offer fitting also. 350-400 for the recon Selespeed Dualogic kit, which is much cheaper than 1600 for a new one!
yes but what if they break again?

i follow the mantra, if a selespeed is dodgy, get a new one!
if that is too expensive for you, then don't get a selespeed, stay with a manual.
__________________
ahmett is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2017   #5
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 309
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
p6baseunit has donated!
Spain 
Re: Dulogic gearbox fault

Quote Originally Posted by ahmett View Post
i follow the mantra, if a selespeed is dodgy, get a new one!
if that is too expensive for you, then don't get a selespeed, stay with a manual.
Yes that's the whole problem though isn't it! The Fiat garages see them seldomly and seem to be unable to fix issues... So that they replace the whole thing at great cost (1600-1700 + labour + Vat) because they have no clue on what is playing up!
One of the eBay guys goes into great detail to tell you that the Actuator is reconditioned by replacing over 30 seals, cleaning and testing the sensors and replacing the bushes in the motor and then the whole unit is tested for 50miles.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

p6baseunit is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2017   #6
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 749
Thanks: 57
Trader Rating: 0
irc has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Dulogic gearbox fault

If there are leaks then recon or replacement are the only real options.

However, if the fluid level is correct and there are no leaks, it could just be a tired pump motor. They are not available separately but can be purchased with the Alfa pump head on. Changing the head over is simple, and works fine. Plenty of info on this available.

Simplest way to check if you have a tired motor is... (bear with me, it sounds a bit wierd)
When fault occurs, open the bonnet and tap the motor sharply. You may need to close and re-open the door to trigger the pump. If it starts up and fault disappears then motor is failing and swapping it should sort it out. (You dont actually need to tap the motor itself - I found sharply tapping the battery tray worked most of the time)

However, this suggestion only applies if fluid level correct and no leaks. New motor on a leaky system will just leak better.
__________________
irc
Panda Sporting MultiJet 1.3 "Diesel Weasel"
Panda Sporting MultiJet 1.3 "Pig"
Panda Eleganza Dualogic 1.2 "Magic Panda"
irc is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 26-04-2017   #7
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 309
Thanks: 25
Trader Rating: 0
p6baseunit has donated!
Spain 
Re: Dulogic gearbox fault

The correct pump is available from Shop4Parts, at the same price as one of these recon units with a rebuilt pump. It could just as easily be a sensor.

You should hear the pump buzzing when you open the drivers door, as it primes the system. The buzzing should last for several seconds
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

p6baseunit is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) To Dulogic or not to Dualogic - that is the question...? bLUE eYED BEttY 500 14 15-05-2009 23:35
(G) 1.9 gearbox fault helpme Ducato 0 05-01-2009 12:55
(G) gearbox fault racing stripe Punto (Mk2/2b) 3 25-11-2008 19:41
(G) Dulogic starts with neutral wst62 Grande Punto 1 31-08-2008 01:01
(T) Gearbox Fault stef78 Stilo 0 10-04-2005 20:09