Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2011   #1
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

Hello there

Have had my Twinair for a fortnight. Driving around London (and using Stop Start) I'm only getting 22.3mpg. That's rubbish isn't it compared to all the advertised figures? And really rubbish against my old 1.2 which averaged about 37mpg driving in the same conditions.

Have tried in both Eco and normal mode - and the figures average the same.

I know there have been various comments about mpg on here - but would be interested to know what others have averaged driving in London, or similar city driving.

PS - the high pitch noise has disappeared...
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RhubarbandCustard is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #2
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Aberdeen
Posts: 399
Thanks: 6
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

How many miles on the clock? I found my MA to be fairly rubbish (35mpg) untill i had clocked up 6000 miles, and it has been gradually improving ever since (currently 40.1mpg).

22.3 is the worst i have heard from a twinair.
__________________
Driving: Alfa GT 3.2 V6 in black and Abarth 595 145bhp in Red.
Ransoman is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

Quote Originally Posted by RhubarbandCustard View Post
Hello there

Have had my Twinair for a fortnight. Driving around London (and using Stop Start) I'm only getting 22.3mpg. That's rubbish isn't it compared to all the advertised figures? And really rubbish against my old 1.2 which averaged about 37mpg driving in the same conditions.

Have tried in both Eco and normal mode - and the figures average the same.

I know there have been various comments about mpg on here - but would be interested to know what others have averaged driving in London, or similar city driving.

PS - the high pitch noise has disappeared...
Look on the bright side - you will make Tony (Grimwau) feel better.
Likes grimwau liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #4
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,117
Thanks: 91
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

It sounds very poor, but as said new engines do use more fuel because there is more internal friction.

For economy the engine speed needs to be kept absolutely as low as possible and also note a cold engine will use twice as much fuel as a warm engine.

I would suggest taking it for a drive and running it for say 30 minutes at 60mph on a conveniently quiet motorway and see what that gives.

Hope that helps.
__________________

Very Red 500 Diesel
pearce_jj is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #5
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 331
Thanks: 23
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

I live at Putney bridge and have been driving a 1.3mjd (95) for about a year now.

Fuel consumption isnt close to being as good as claimed but as many say on here gets better over time. I'm still only at 4k miles.

Motorway driving at 85ish averages out at 48mpg, it's always been about that. Town driving all depends on how many times i start/ stop and i think the worst ive had is about 35mpg. Last friday i had a run to Tesco's at new malden, approx 2/3 of the distance is 40/50mph dual carriageway (A3) and came back with a 61mpg average.

The trip computer is normally pretty accurate but i do check from time to time, it seems to range from 2mpg underestimated to 1mpg overestimated. What i do is reset trip A on every tank and then calculate the mpg every time and I fill up to the first click. Trip B is for when i want to know the mpg for a particular trip.

22mpg sounds far too low to me.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

cowabunga is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: manchester by the sea
Posts: 74
Thanks: 1
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

No car ever gets the advertised figures. I have a Smart CDI Diesel advertised as getting 80 MPG,however i only get 60 MPG. All the other owners are also getting 60 MPG on the Smart Forums.
I used to have a Panda 100 HP which only got 35 MPG,so i am very happy with 60 MPG in the Manchester traffic.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

smart examiner is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #7
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,117
Thanks: 91
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

Quote Originally Posted by cowabunga View Post
1.3mjd...Fuel consumption isnt close to being as good as claimed...only at 4k miles....Motorway driving at 85ish averages out at 48mpg,
To get anywhere near claimed figures, speed needs to be reduced (a lot!).
__________________

Very Red 500 Diesel
pearce_jj is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #8
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

I'm no Stephen Hawking but 60/80 seems a lot better proportion than 22/69.

I'm sure things will improve for the OP as his engine loosens up, but it is warm weather now and 22mpg is hideous.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #9
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,077
Thanks: 117
Trader Rating: 0
bgunn has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

Remove lead from the right shoe

Seriously - the TA is a fun engine, so sounds good when thrashed, and this destroys fuel economy.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

bgunn is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #10
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New Forest
Posts: 556
Thanks: 80
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

We're not in the city but have to contend with the town up the valley which can get pretty busy and never have we got as low as the 20s average.

Imagine there is a pressure operated hand grenade under the right pedal!
__________________
500 TA Lounge
Panda 4X4 TA Antarctica
TwinAir Newbie is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #11
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bit south in Devon like
Posts: 1,924
Thanks: 151
Trader Rating: 0
Super Uwe has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

Quote Originally Posted by smart examiner View Post
No car ever gets the advertised figures. I have a Smart CDI Diesel advertised as getting 80 MPG,however i only get 60 MPG. All the other owners are also getting 60 MPG on the Smart Forums.
I used to have a Panda 100 HP which only got 35 MPG,so i am very happy with 60 MPG in the Manchester traffic.
I 100% agree with the gist of what you're saying, but I think the main problem lies with the fact that the consumption levels many TwinAir owners have posted on here are a long way short of what is expected (irrespective of whether the engine's cold, not run in etc). Mind you, 22mpg is a classic though, good effort OP!

In addition, the way the TwinAir has been marketed up until now means that it SHOULD be significantly better than the 1.2 in terms of average fuel consumption. So far it seems to have fallen short in this area.
__________________
Had a 500, then a Panda, then a Punto, wife had another 500...now a Fiesta
Super Uwe is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #12
It was broken, honest
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: United Kingdom.
Posts: 1,457
Thanks: 21
Trader Rating: 0
poggy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

I have the 500 1.2 Dual logic at the moment and it get according to the computer 44mpg on mostly country lanes and town driving. It's done less than 3K miles.

I'll be honest I haven't even got my Discovery 3 auto down to 22mpg since I have had it and that weighs about 2.5 tonnes and is a V6 diesel.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

poggy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #13
Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dorset
Posts: 8,372
Thanks: 881
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

Quote Originally Posted by Super Uwe View Post
... but I think the main problem lies with the fact that the consumption levels many TwinAir owners have posted on here are a long way short of what is expected ...
...the way the TwinAir has been marketed up until now means that it SHOULD be significantly better than the 1.2 in terms of average fuel consumption. So far it seems to have fallen short in this area.
That, I think, is the gist of the problem with TwinAir economy. Most folks realise the 'official figures' are not really representative of real world driving BUT - and it's a big but - they ARE supposed to enable comparisons to be made between vehicles.

On the basis of FIAT's marketing and published figures, most people would reasonably assume a TwinAir would be more economical than a 1.2 petrol - and from what many of you are posting it would seem that the opposite is true.

A former 1.2 owner getting 37mpg who bought a TwinAir primarily because their FIAT salesman told them it would be more economical than the 1.2, and then found their economy had dropped to 22mpg would IMO have a reasonable claim of misrepresentation against the selling garage. Robin - what's your verdict on this one?
__________________


"Just 'cos you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

jrkitching is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #14
Telford's Own...
 
Ffoxy's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,824
Thanks: 373
Trader Rating: 0
Ffoxy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

Quote Originally Posted by pearce_jj View Post
It sounds very poor, but as said new engines do use more fuel because there is more internal friction.

For economy the engine speed needs to be kept absolutely as low as possible and also note a cold engine will use twice as much fuel as a warm engine.

I would suggest taking it for a drive and running it for say 30 minutes at 60mph on a conveniently quiet motorway and see what that gives.

Hope that helps.
I disagree... keep the engine in it's powerband & torque max I say. Labouring an engine destroys economy as does thrashing it. MPG figures come from unrealistic tests & will never be achievable in real life, they are just to show what the best is they can achieve. I have always knocked 30% off published figures for any car & have never been diappointed.
__________________
Ex Suzuki SV1000S jockey, now a former 1.9 MJet Grande Punto Sporting pilot curently driving a Hyundai i30 1.6 Premium.
Ffoxy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 14-06-2011   #15
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,632
Thanks: 237
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Twinair - Rubbish mpg with City Driving

If the salesman made the statement as one of fact, definitely a viable claim for misrep. The dealership would obviously try to say that it was just opinion or puffery or the like but I think they would lose.

I suspect that if a county court judge saw evidence of figures that bad, then provided he accepted that the salesman had said the economy would better a 1.2, then the claim would be made out.

That would mean that you could hand the keys back or go for damages. Jolly interesting to work out how much you'd get: presumably the additional cost of owning the Twinair (compared to the 1.2) over the expected period of ownership (taking into account finance costs etc and fuel as well as extra insurance etc) less the amount by which its future value exceeds that of a 1.2.

Incidentally, any attempt by the dealership to say that the Twinair is more "fun" (and so reduce the damages because you are getting more car for your money, not just supposedly better economy) should fail because a car purchase contract is not a "contract of enjoyment" like a holiday contract where those sort of things get thrown into the mix.

So maybe that's the answer: buy a fun Twinair, then sue and recover the additional cost beyond that of owning a 1.2! Won't apply to you FF members however as you now all know how pants the Twinair economy is, so you will not have relied on the misrep in the first place!
Thanks jrkitching thanked for this post
Likes Roscoepeko, jrkitching liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

RobinPJ is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(G) TwinAir Thread (including MPG) grimwau 500 910 14-12-2012 17:47
(G) A TWINAIR thread where no one is allowed to mention MPG cjc156 500 30 01-01-2011 15:56
(T) Fiat Punto 75 (mk1) mpg city driving newstor Punto (Mk1) 0 08-11-2007 21:14