Technical Water in battery tray & rusted bolts

Currently reading:
Technical Water in battery tray & rusted bolts

Punto669

Hi Guys,

My GP was standing outside over the last 2 rainy days and on topping up the windscreen washer I noticed standing water at the bottom of the battery tray.
The water was nice & clean so am presuming its rainwater - I didn't taste it :eek:

Explains the rusted bolt heads :mad:

I checked around the battery tray and everything else was nice and dry.
I checked both wheel arches and the openable flap is present and closed on each side.
I checked the pipes to the windscreen washer jets and they are in good condition and all joined up firmly.

So any ideas?
Where should I start investigating?

Is the tray removable?
If so I will remove it and the bolts to tidy up the rust and coat the heads with some rust proofing.

* The specs of water in the picture are raindrops as it started raining just as I was taking the picture - it was all bone dry when I first lifted the hood - well apart from the battery tray.

Thx.

Attachments

• batt_water.jpg
    batt_water.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 69
Yes you can easily remove the (plastic) tray and drill a drain hole where the water collects …

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Yes you can easily remove the (plastic) tray and drill a drain hole where the water collects …

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)
Yes easily done (y)
But also want to check what the water will be dribbling onto underneath - might be a case of fitting a drain tube to direct it out the side straight onto the road instead (y)

But it'll still bother me having water coming into the engine bay where it shouldn't! :eek:

Especially next to the fuse box! :idea:

EDIT: Anyone else experiencing this had any frontal bodywork repairs carried out on their cars???

Last edited:
I have had the same problem.... I found that water is coming in through large plastic wire protection coming from underneath of wipers... Looks like design flaw... I have noticed that happening when I was opening bonnet under the rain....

Looks like Fiat hasn't mirrored all parts correctly for UK cars, the scutle drain over the alternator is a well known issue, maybe there is a similar one in the battery/distribution-box area ? Never heard about that tho…

BRs, Bernie

Back