UK - New 80MPH speed limit

Currently reading:
UK - New 80MPH speed limit

Never been stuck behind someone doing 60 in a 40 limit.

Mainly because if anyone is stuck when it comes to a car doing 60 in a 40 zone it's usually to the front........

Just out of curiosity, has rodduz not qualified for an FF timeout yet? :)

Aye we try to keep freedom of speech as much as possible (within the rules of course).

Just because he's a little ignorent when it comes to driving doesn't mean he needs to be punished lol.

Fair enough :)

Not sure I agree that he shouldn't be punished, perhaps just not on the forum :p

why are you looking at my dads *****??!!??

can you send me a picture i havent seen it for a few years now years! *ah the good old days of 'hard punishment'*

Last edited:
Well pretty much all of that is true.

When the compound of a tyre hardens up as a summer tyre does, firstly you get more wheelspin and more wheelspin = more wear and also, the tyres wear more mile for mile when it's cold than summer tyres. This came from a tyre engineer from a major European manufacturer, and he wasn't trying to sell his tyres to me ;)

This should help explain why summer tyres don't wear well in the winter.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/P.../nov1510-why-are-tyres-yearing-after-10-maps/

In terms of fuel economy, generally winter tyres are narrower which helps as well as the fact that when you've got wheelspin you're burning fuel but going nowhere. Going from 195/45 R16 summer tyres to 175/65 R14 Winter tyres gains me about 10% in terms of fuel economy.
I understand the basic premise, despite not exactly being a tyre technician. For most of the country I don't see the point. Relatives of ours who live by Lake Garda in Italy use one type of tyres in Summer and Winter tyres for 3 months of the year, but then it does hit the high 80s in July and August and snows quite a lot in December. At a rough guess, I'd be surprised if in Mancland 10% of our days are within 5 degrees of freezing and although I realise the grip of a tyre can degrade progressively I'd rather just slow down a little and drive according to the road and traffic conditions. If I forked out perhaps £200 on a set of winter tyres, I'd have to get a hell of an improvement in fuel consumption to offset that kind of outlay. Then I'd either need a spare set of wheels of pay someone to swap tyres for me.

you only have to watch them police programs to see that many people committing motoring offences are also committing other crimes at the same time.
An intelligent criminal keeps his nose clean. Many know the story of Al Capone getting caught on tax evasion. They are careful. There is one in particular who, when seen, is really a non-event and about as threatening as Curly Watts or Sooty yet is (if you believe rumours) responsible for about half a dozen murders including one by his own swimming pool and the attempted murder of a plain clothes detective. These are in addition to those he is reputed to have arranged. There is no way he would be caught driving without insurance or similar minor offences. Many of those who get caught through petty offences are arrogant and believe they will never get collared. They don't half make the Job easy at times.

not personally... but i know of her... Im not getting into THAT can of worms on here
I only watched one episode when the drivers were having to deal with a lot of snow and ice. One of them was a female and was driving a Scania 6X2 unit and she got stuck on a slope with a lot of wheelspin. All the artics I drove years ago were 4X2s but I used to have a mate who drove to Sweden twice a month and he said that the firm he worked for used 6X2 Volvo units and just used to dump the third axle when it got really snowy. He reckoned that did the trick. I was surprised to see the girl in the programme didn't at least attempt that. Do you know if it actually does work?

much easier system to work on!! The thing is people WILL kill themselves with it! But for the extra cost of maintaining and running the system its not really worth it on cars...

Im pretty sure the air consumption critical scene was staged to high heaven... In my experience air pipes dont just blow off like that!
Do you still drain the air tanks at night? I used to drive Bedford TKs and TMs in the late '70s and early '80s and they had self drainers as I discovered when parked in a residential area and fired it up at 4 in the morning.....and it took 10 minutes of having a 9 litre V6 2-stroke diesel idling outside some poor buggers bedroom window before I had enough pressure to release the parking brake.

Whether they change it or not ill still be cruising at around that figure. There's nothing wrong with it and it keeps me awake. Seventy is dangerous for me as I get bored and fall asleep. Nearer ninety and I'm alert.
I'm afraid I used that excuse to justify me speeding in about 1975; I think you owe me copyright royalties.

I can smell the bullplop from here.
Moi aussi mon brave.

So it wasn't just me?
Nope.

easy to make it faster
drive downhill
open your boot when its windy
Just don't slow down.

How did Ayrton Senna die? ...
Reverse parking?

It's a mystery why they don't take learner drivers on the motorway! the fastest place you can drive and you don't get taught it, but as soon as you pass com go straight out on to a motorway?! Motorway driving is easy anyway I would say but still, its stupid.

Where do most accidents happen, motorways or other types of road?
There are more collisions and deaths on non-motorways. Learners aren't taken on Motorways because it's illegal. The professional bodies such as the Driving Instructors' Association and Motor Schools Association along with most instructors would like for it to become legal. I would take issue with you that motorways are easy to drive on, at least to a reasonably high level. Generally speaking I'd say that most people don't know how to join a motorway, leave one, overtake on one and even which lane to drive in.

Government is debating on the motorway speed limit going up to 80mph, because it will allow drivers to progress in their journeys more. It was considered because cars are now more sophisticated and safe these days to be traveling at those speeds!

Advantages - Less Journey times
Disadvantages - More Petrol used, and more rigorous roads policing

The Independent - Motorway speed limit to be raised

What is everyones view on this ? What I think is it should be raised, because all the drivers that are happily to tot along at 80 now can do, and everyone else can do what they wish. Its a difficult thing to decide on...

Car Accidents will be more severe....
"90" will become the new "80" ....

I dont know, What are your views on this ???

“… new figures from the AA which show that in the first half of 2011 there was a 5 per cent drop in fuel sales. This deprived the Treasury of £985 million in duty.” - Join the queue David Williams. Telegraph/motoring 2011/10/15 (p.M14)

Could it be that the Government have come-up with this cunning plan in the 3rdQ of 2011 to recover their losses in Q1 & Q2?

Burning 20+% more fuel at 80 instead of 70 mph should go some way to make-up the short-fall.

Petrol retail sales Jan-Jly
2008: 8101 million tons
2009: 7705
2010: 7250
2011: 6870

Diesel retail sales Jan-Jly
2008: 6634 million tons
2009: 6261
2010: 6419
2011: 6608

Source: Energy Trends (June 2011), Dept of Energy & Climate Change

I only watched one episode when the drivers were having to deal with a lot of snow and ice. One of them was a female and was driving a Scania 6X2 unit and she got stuck on a slope with a lot of wheelspin. All the artics I drove years ago were 4X2s but I used to have a mate who drove to Sweden twice a month and he said that the firm he worked for used 6X2 Volvo units and just used to dump the third axle when it got really snowy. He reckoned that did the trick. I was surprised to see the girl in the programme didn't at least attempt that. Do you know if it actually does work?
By 3rd axle I'm assuming you mean the 'Lift' axle which depending on the units configuration would either be in front (pusher axle)of the Drive axle or behind the Drive axle(tag axle). raising this axle would allow extra weight to be placed on the drive axle increasing grip. yes it does work in theory with any truck be it volvo, scania, man, erf, foden, freightliner, mack, renault, daf, etc. but i fear that sometimes the electronics of modern trucks gets in the way whether its trying to control G/box, Engine, ABS, Suspension or whatever.

Do you still drain the air tanks at night? I used to drive Bedford TKs and TMs in the late '70s and early '80s and they had self drainers as I discovered when parked in a residential area and fired it up at 4 in the morning.....and it took 10 minutes of having a 9 litre V6 2-stroke diesel idling outside some poor buggers bedroom window before I had enough pressure to release the parking brake.
No need for this anymore, brake system technology has come a long way from air driers to brake chambers its all a lot better and more reliable... ive heard of them but never come across a 'self drainer'

“… new figures from the AA which show that in the first half of 2011 there was a 5 per cent drop in fuel sales. This deprived the Treasury of £985 million in duty.” - Join the queue David Williams. Telegraph/motoring 2011/10/15 (p.M14)

Could it be that the Government have come-up with this cunning plan in the 3rdQ of 2011 to recover their losses in Q1 & Q2?

Burning 20+% more fuel at 80 instead of 70 mph should go some way to make-up the short-fall.

Petrol retail sales Jan-Jly
2008: 8101 million tons
2009: 7705
2010: 7250
2011: 6870

Diesel retail sales Jan-Jly
2008: 6634 million tons
2009: 6261
2010: 6419
2011: 6608

Source: Energy Trends (June 2011), Dept of Energy & Climate Change

Appeal to mong voterz and make money at the same time? WIN WIN FOR THE NASTY PARTY! :)

lol. I must admit I've made a real effort even subconsiously to stop using my car except for when I REALLY need it. I'm sure due to the economy being on it's arse other people are doing the same.

I wish they'd realise for the economy to grow they need to reduce fuel duty....

Back