UK - New 80MPH speed limit

Currently reading:
UK - New 80MPH speed limit

Haven't Japan implemented something really cool like that?

I think it would fall through if you had to get away from Godzilla or summat though.

30MPH?!?! CMONNNNNN! lol.
I don't mean cars being limited, I mean you are tracked and if the car goes above lets say 75 mph you get a fine in the post.

?

Why should it be? This was because of morons not driving to the conditions.

I've been chatting with someone who actually travelled on the road and must have just missed this accident, he said the fog just came out of nowhere, yet nobody acknowledged it. There were loads of people with no fog lights on, people going way too fast in the outside lane, people driving too close. Basically normal motorway driving in England but couple that with dangerous driving conditions and it = disaster. This is an attitude problem, an ignorance problem, not a speed limit problem.

No one as yet can't say the cause so what you've said is a massive assumption there!

Not saying its unlikely to have been due to poor driving, but equally could have been a sudden slick of oil on the road or anything.

However 80mph would have seen a lot more deaths IMO, if the conditions would have permitted this speed or not a is another story really.

No one as yet can't say the cause so what you've said is a massive assumption there!

Not saying its unlikely to have been due to poor driving, but equally could have been a sudden slick of oil on the road or anything.

However 80mph would have seen a lot more deaths IMO, if the conditions would have permitted this speed or not a is another story really.

Hmm, possibly, but 99% likely it was caused by people driving too close to each other, otherwise there wouldn't have been a pile up due to sufficient braking distance.

80mph? I've got it on good authority that most of the people driving on that road that night were doing a damn sight more than that.

EDIT: And once again, this is a limit, not a requirement.

I don't mean cars being limited, I mean you are tracked and if the car goes above lets say 75 mph you get a fine in the post.

I dont think that would work.... maybe if the car is to travel x miles with and average speed of 75 then yes.

getting a fine for simply going over 75 would be a bit harsh (everyone has had times where they NEEDED to accelerate to over the speed limit for the sake of safety.

Plus people will just remove/tamper/hack them

I for one wouldnt want the government tracking everything I do (even if they say its just for road safety... you cant trust them)

I'm sorry, but I trust the government a lot more than a fugwit who thinks that just because he's got a big German 4x4 that I should get out of his way.

If people weren't such morons then we wouldn't need laws...... people are morons so we need laws and strict enforcement of them.

Just squashed pedestrians or vehicles in buildings though.

Of course. Tbh I think if EVERY village had average speed cameras then I would be a happy person. Amount of people who drive like ****s here in North Wales in 30 zones is annoying.

I'm all for people being able to go out on a nice bit of moorland A road and having some fun, but the motorways and residential streets are not a place for fun at all.

Hmm, possibly, but 99% likely it was caused by people driving too close to each other, otherwise there wouldn't have been a pile up due to sufficient braking distance.

80mph? I've got it on good authority that most of the people driving on that road that night were doing a damn sight more than that.

EDIT: And once again, this is a limit, not a requirement.

Hit a slick of oil though and even sticking to the speed limit and 2 second rule you'll all collide. I saw the aftermath on the A47 2 years ago when a bus engine exploded and oil went everywhere in motion, about 2 cars following them smashed into each other and went up embankments etc :( luckily there were no fatalities though.

Hit a slick of oil though and even sticking to the speed limit and 2 second rule you'll all collide. I saw the aftermath on the A47 2 years ago when a bus engine exploded and oil went everywhere in motion, about 2 cars following them smashed into each other and went up embankments etc :( luckily there were no fatalities though.

That's very true, and if there was a massive oil slick then fair enough, but I can almost guarantee that there wasn't.

I'm sorry, but I trust the government a lot more than a fugwit who thinks that just because he's got a big German 4x4 that I should get out of his way.

If people weren't such morons then we wouldn't need laws...... people are morons so we need laws and strict enforcement of them.

true. but I dont like the idea of hitting everyone with it.

Plus the information would need to be sent via wireless. even with ultra high security. these boxes are sitting in everyone car. they would be hacked within a week.

criminals would be using them to track cars, tweaking data
(how would you feel when the police knock on your door for some crime you dont know about but everything pointing at you as your box has been cloned and data changed)

The only way it would work is like the usual chav tags.

If you are caught driving like a nob or speeding you a temporary tracker fitted to your car and are required to have it read at your local station once a week or so.

Craig

That's very true, and if there was a massive oil slick then fair enough, but I can almost guarantee that there wasn't.

If there was then it's just one of those things, but they probably would have said already if there was a slick.....

If you are driving at a good distance to the car in front then you can not hit that car and if there is no one tailgating you then no one can hit you.

People will slag me off for this. But if I'm on the motorway I always leave a massive gap in front and if someone comes up to close behind he'll get a windscreen full of washer fluid and I'll rest my foot on the brake pedal to get the brake light on whilst not actually braking.

If the person behind doesn't like it they can **** off and pass and become part of someone elses accident. I'm responsible for my safety and my wifes safety and if you don't like it then you can **** off :) (y)

true. but I dont like the idea of hitting everyone with it.

Plus the information would need to be sent via wireless. even with ultra high security. these boxes are sitting in everyone car. they would be hacked within a week.

criminals would be using them to track cars, tweaking data
(how would you feel when the police knock on your door for some crime you dont know about but everything pointing at you as your box has been cloned and data changed)

The only way it would work is like the usual chav tags.

If you are caught driving like a nob or speeding you a temporary tracker fitted to your car and are required to have it read at your local station once a week or so.

Craig

Obviously they would need to be sealed units and anyone caught tampering with them should be given a long sentence as should the person whose box has been tampered with. Make tamper tags and make having the box being checked a yearly thing (even for new cars) then 99.999% of people will have to abide by the law.

I don't like having these sort of restrictions placed upon me, but if it stops innocent people being burnt to death in horrible needless accidents like this then it's worth it.

?

Why should it be? This was because of morons not driving to the conditions.

I've been chatting with someone who actually travelled on the road and must have just missed this accident, he said the fog just came out of nowhere, yet nobody acknowledged it. There were loads of people with no fog lights on, people going way too fast in the outside lane, people driving too close. Basically normal motorway driving in England but couple that with dangerous driving conditions and it = disaster. This is an attitude problem, an ignorance problem, not a speed limit problem.

you can drive to the conditions
stop before the pile up
doesnt stop those behind you not stopping

There are not 'that' many junctions on Motorways. I would be happy for average speed cameras before and after each junction. Limits are 80 in good conditions (day + clear + dry). Matrix signs to identify when 70 or 60 limit is in place (night, fog, rain, snow etc).

As for tailgating - paint the 2 second gap arrows on the roads and get traffic police to prosecute from video evidence. It's one of the most agressive and dangrous practices on our roads and should be eradicated.

There are not 'that' many junctions on Motorways. I would be happy for average speed cameras before and after each junction. Limits are 80 in good conditions (day + clear + dry). Matrix signs to identify when 70 or 60 limit is in place (night, fog, rain, snow etc).

As for tailgating - paint the 2 second gap arrows on the roads and get traffic police to prosecute from video evidence. It's one of the most agressive and dangrous practices on our roads and should be eradicated.
Tbh I think 2 seconds is not enough. How often have you been distracted for 2 seconds?

Back