The Worlds Best Mot Failiers.......ever

Currently reading:
The Worlds Best Mot Failiers.......ever

Its my cars big day on friday so wish me luck! but also i want to hear the bests MOT failiers in the forum.

Anything from a busted brake bulb to "theres a hole the size of the moon on the passenger side floor and i don't think i can let it go" situation.So come on don't be shy , tell your story on this specially dedicated thread and try help get it at least 3 pages long! (y)

mine has been through 2 MoT's since ive had it, its failed both times. 1st, i changed the side-lights the day before cos 1 had blown - it fell out on the way to the test station and is still rattling around the headlamp unit. 2nd time it failed cos the front indicators werent orange enough for the examiners liking

A couple of years ago my 96 Seat ibiza failed its MOT on three bald tyres (well i thought they were ok but they were below legal requirements). The same garage fitted 4 brand new identical tyres 6 months earlier. Never worked that one out.

A year later, MOT time again and it failed before it began. I put on the handbrake and the cable snapped just as i parked it at the garage.

Well, not really best ever,

But the fact that my passenger side seatbelt was anchored to a seat that wasn't exactly rigidly held in - by not exactly rigid, I mean a friend of mine complimented me on the built in paint mixer! - certainly didnt impress the MoT bloke.

I understand the same bloke is now scratching his head with regards to why my newly replaced rear brake system is twice as efficient on one side than the other. Strangely, theres only one part I havent replaced- the drums, but hes sure its the shoes! tsk! I tell thee..... :bang:

Oh yes...and there was the CO issue...that was some 20 times above the legal limit, because a hose in the engine bay was loose or there was a hole in the exhaust...or something, I dunno, I never actually got an answer out of him on that one!!

My Uno flew through the MOT, 10 minutes later I heard a clunking noise and the catalyst heatshield was running along the floor lol.

well for me it would be on a rover i once owend when i was told i had a hole the size of an orange in my floor near rear seat i was yeah sure i aint got no rust so i laid down and i had. well to cut a long story short 3 montsh previously kwik fit had but a car jack through my floor and dint tell me :(

best one i heard was my dads when i was young about 8. cant remeber what car it was but he took to mot station and it failed on so much they advised him it was a danger to anyone within 10 feet of it lol he took the battery out and walked home with just the battery lol

he loves his banger lol

I had a rover too...

a 213 my Dad gave me, I took it to the MOT station, and although it was nice and shiny it was basically just muck and rust underneath, the guy asked if it had cost me much, I said nah, my Dad gave it me, to which he replied, 'doesn't he like you very much!' :D

Took it elsewhere though, got it welded up for £200, ran around in it for six months, til someone went into the back of it, a cracked bumper was enough for the insurance to write it off, so I was payed out £300, I then bought it back off them for £40, strapped the bumper on and ran it for another six months, until my mate was selling his Fiesta, so I sold the Rover for £225 :D

Wish I'd kept it over the Fiesta though, it was like a palace inside by comparison and the 1.3 engine was remarkably nippy, in hindsight though considering it structural integrity maybe that wasn't a good thing!

Worked in a garage that Mot'd taxi's for a while.
Many experiences but the best are:
the cavalier that had a new section welded in the bulkhead and the steering rack screwed back on with self tappers.
the proton that the young owner had cut out 8 inch circles for his rear speakers an inch from the rear seatbelt mountings.
the new brake pipe that passed through the rear coil spring.

Also when working at a mercedes dealership the car that came in with a petrol leak. The owner of a new 190 had screwed his new multiplayer to the fuel tank....... Expensive DIY job

my rover was a 213 and yep was very comfy and nippy surprisingly. the engine was solid as a rock never let me down but dam they could rust lol by the end of its life i could see the spare tyre inthe boot from under neather the floor had rusted so much and it leaked water virtually everywere. but dam was cheapest car i ever ran.

I attached a word doc that's on my pc. It's My J plate Astra GSi , It failed on about 6 of the listed Items, was gonna cost about a grand to repair, the car was worth about that so I flogged it. Apologies to the little chav that came down from liverpool to buy it, hope u enjoyed her !

Attachments

• What was wrong with the astra.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 142
not an MOT but bad none the less!!

back in 1994, we only had bangers, and my mums car was this old style renult 5 tl, which was hand painted green :yuck: anyway, a week after we had it, it needed a new exhaust, so mum took her new car in, came back a while later to get it back.

"im sorry luv, we coulndt fit the new exhaust!" said the mechanic

"WHY" said my mum, slightly pissed!!

'cause there isnt an inch of solid metal under the car to attatch it to!!!!!"

he then went and lifted the carpet up, and stuck a phillips screw driver right throught the floor panel, near the seat base :eek:

but my mum being my mum, kept it, and used the deathtrap to ferry me to school in!

weve also had a B reg 5 that turned out to be a cut'n shut

another old 5 that the engine fell out of (i dont think theres rust in france!!)

a white mini,that was stolen and used in a robbery,

and a B reg fiat panda that blew up on the way to the shops!!

infact the best car we had before the cinquecento, was that jewel in the crown of british layland...... the triumph accliam :D which lasted the longest; 3 years!! :p

took our old Panda in once and when they pulled on the rear seatbelt, it pulled the metal from the wheelarch! Little bit of welding fixed that! Once, I had an old 1959 Wolseley, and they gave me a huge carrier bag with loads of rust in it, it was my front crossmember!

When i had to MOT my Y10 I had to change all the fuelling out on the forecourt and it could barely idle let alone get on the ramps......

It Passed! (y)

My Dad's old garage it's not what you know it's...... :D

Summer of '03 and my uno turbo went for its MOT.....

Used the test center that my garage where i worked used, said that my rear wheel arches had rotted through... thought can't be that bad as it passed last year without any problems.. how wrong i could be (check pics), shock f***ing horror , (i think they missed this last time for sure). My biggest worry was emissions lol.

So pulled the interior out, as other things wanted to do, got new arches done using Transit arches (as metal was better and uno arches rare as rocking horse s**t), and sent for retest.

Failed again, body corrosion on nsf, rear lights pulsating - 2 weeks inbetween tests.

Back to bodyshop, guy there really loves me, always has a smile when i pull up in my uno... wonder y ?

got all bits done, sent for re re-test..........

PASSED. Place where i work now does our own MOT's, so not too much of a problem now.

Attachments

• pic (61).JPG
    pic (61).JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 34
  • pic (62).JPG
    pic (62).JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Back