The "Take a photo of something interesting when you are out" Thread!

Currently reading:
The "Take a photo of something interesting when you are out" Thread!

Give that man a coconut, the Vitesse to be exact. It's much bigger when you're standing underneath it. :)
We had a functioning Dry Dock at Manchester Docks until about 10 years ago called Lengthline. It used to repair and maintain various small to medium sized sips like freighters and coasters.

As an example of when common sense was more prevalent than health and safety, I went there one day and asked if I could take some photographs, and after a quick chat with the boss I was given the green light on one condition: "Don't fall in." I was off. Unfortunately there were only two vessels in, a barge and a ship used to carry nuclear flasks.

I was asked not to take pics of that one, which was fair do's. So I spent 20 minutes under the barge, which wasn't very interesting in itself, but the sense that several hundred tons of steel was sitting a couple of feet above me supported by nothing other than what seemed to be sawn off telegraph poles.

It wasn't the kind of boat you see a lot of around Manchester, but I think it was used on the Thames to carry rubbish out to sea. That got me interested in all things maritime, but there aren't a lot round here. But we do get a few of these.

http://www.asl.ie/photo.html

We had a functioning Dry Dock at Manchester Docks until about 10 years ago called Lengthline. It used to repair and maintain various small to medium sized sips like freighters and coasters.

As an example of when common sense was more prevalent than health and safety, I went there one day and asked if I could take some photographs, and after a quick chat with the boss I was given the green light on one condition: "Don't fall in." I was off. Unfortunately there were only two vessels in, a barge and a ship used to carry nuclear flasks.

I was asked not to take pics of that one, which was fair do's. So I spent 20 minutes under the barge, which wasn't very interesting in itself, but the sense that several hundred tons of steel was sitting a couple of feet above me supported by nothing other than what seemed to be sawn off telegraph poles.

It wasn't the kind of boat you see a lot of around Manchester, but I think it was used on the Thames to carry rubbish out to sea. That got me interested in all things maritime, but there aren't a lot round here. But we do get a few of these.

http://www.asl.ie/photo.html

I'll be doing dry dock again for the other two HSC this year. If there are any interesting boats I'll try and snap you some pictures. There was a Chinese tanker and a small naval vessle in the dock last time. The most unusual thing that made everyone smile was was the large Seal that came cruising past outside the gates just as we were about to launch.

£2 for a steak dinner...

Attachments

• 1388074063319.jpg
    1388074063319.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 60
I'll be doing dry dock again for the other two HSC this year. If there are any interesting boats I'll try and snap you some pictures. There was a Chinese tanker and a small naval vessle in the dock last time. The most unusual thing that made everyone smile was was the large Seal that came cruising past outside the gates just as we were about to launch.
We've never had a seal, although I think a dolphin may have made it up the Ship Canal as far as Runcorn.....but then again, I may have been drinking heavily that weekend.

They used to have to go round with a bucket to collect the fish that were left in the dry dock after it had been drained. That wouldn't have happened 20 years earlier.

We've never had a seal, although I think a dolphin may have made it up the Ship Canal as far as Runcorn.....but then again, I may have been drinking heavily that weekend.

They used to have to go round with a bucket to collect the fish that were left in the dry dock after it had been drained. That wouldn't have happened 20 years earlier.
Actually I should qualify that last statement. It wasn't just that there were no fish in the canal, just that there were probably as many bodies.

Suicides, homicides, accidental drownings.....generally speaking though, more people died of poisoning through ingesting chemicals through their pores than of drowning.

Now the apps are all working properly, let's see if we can get a thread going to see what we all get up to each day.

Rules (if can count as that) are pretty simple - just take a photo of anything you think is interesting outside and post it up on here along with a caption to say what it is.

I'm curious to see how we all live our different lives (y)

(I'll be going out in a minute, so I'll post something then :))

My favourite Christmas T shirt!

Attachments

• tshirt.jpg
    tshirt.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 68
Back