Technical Stilo JTD EGR Blanking Plate

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo JTD EGR Blanking Plate

I was messing with the car most of the day, including replacing its mild steel EGR blanking plate with a stainless steel one, maybe it was because I disconnected the battery to reposition the Boost Valve before taking the car out. It deffinately pulled much better on the return journey than it did on the way to a friends house about 15 minutes away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the egr blanking plate really make a difference to the performance of the car? Any side effects of having it installed on the car?

Does the egr blanking plate really make a difference to the performance of the car? Any side effects of having it installed on the car?

I blanked off our cars EGR because its done over 100,000 miles. Cars with a few thousands miles on them tend to have EGR problems. Their EGR systems get full of thick black crap that can cause the EGR to stick open resulting in black smoke and power loss. Blanking it off prevents this happening.

I've had no negative side effects, however it has made the car feel more responsive, less smoke and slightly better MPG.

Is the EGR blanking plate something you can buy or do you have to make it yourself?

Only if the valve is problematic. If it's in good condition you'll not notice any difference.

My EGR is software OFF, but i'm about to enable it for the winter, cause the engine will warm an idea faster.

how will it warm the engine up faster in the winter.

i clean my egr often as i have a heavy foot, but when i clean mine i can only take off where the electric connector is on the left of it and clean in there and the valve. i really cannot get the bend on the other side off at all. what side would the blanking plate go on?

Exhaust gasses are hot, that's why you have a heat exchanger, to heat antifreeze.
By blocking the EGR you bypass the exchanger.

My EGR is software OFF, but i'm about to enable it for the winter, cause the engine will warm an idea faster.

I dont think thats true because an EGR allows exhaust gases into the combustion chamber to reduce NOx gases, it does this by lowering the combustion temperature.

Low combustion temperature = engine warms up slower

Plus the thermostat doesn't open untill the engine reaches optimum temp so there's no coolant flow.

Mine EGR is blanked here:

Attachments

• 3333ad.jpg
    3333ad.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 560
what side would the blanking plate go on?

The best thing to do is block off the EGR system completely by placing Blanking Plates at points "A" and "B" in the diagrams as I have done.

But if you have only one Blanking Plate position "B" is the best place as emzo has done.

Edit.
My EGR is software OFF
emzo, is your EGR off done via a remap?

Attachments

• JTD 16v.jpg
    JTD 16v.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 268
  • JTD 8v.jpg
    JTD 8v.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 330
Well, I cannot put a blanking plate on An as it is impossible, I really cannot get the bolts loose and I try every time I clean the egr. they are so so tight, dont think its been off since the car was new.

On the diagram you can see the bolt number 8 and it connects the electric unit thing, well that is where I clean as it get so full of black stuff there.

So would I see any difference buy blanking the B off???
Would it just be easier to disconnect the egr buy pulling the cable out of it?

Sorry so many questions but I like to know things before doing them.

Unplugging the EGR will probabely produce an error code and may effect the cars performance so I wouldn't recommend you do that.

Blanking it off at position "B" seems to be the best option as it prevents anything from the exhaust entering the EGR system so the system stays clean and trouble free.

Blanking off the EGR system completely(both ends) also reduces the risk of an inlet pressure leak(boost loss). I sprayed the whole EGR system with a 50 - 50 mix of water and washing up liquid when testing for boost leaks after I'd fitted a blanking plate at position "B". I found 2(they where small and probabely didn't effect performance), fitting another at position "A" cured the boost leaks.

so it will give me better performance, or better throttle response or just make the car pick up speed better?

sorry guys, i just dont know nothing about the egr

i will check the bolts first to see if i can get them off as i haven`t pulled those ones off before, and if so i will make a donation to get a plate off you if thats ok?

thank you

I believe it can, however the method known to me is still getting an egr dtc, but without any performance issues.

That's why i've said earlier - if the valve is working. not leaking - off via ECU
If it's leaking - blanking.

rite, well i know when its time to clean my egr as when i put my foot down hard and there is a little power loss at about 2500 rpm. i know that it is time to clean it, and straight away after giving it a good clean with contact cleaner it is back to normal.

so i know buy blanking it off i wont have that problem any more, but is there any negative things about doing this or is it all positive? if so what are they?????

Back