Technical 1.9 JTD oil pan / sump removing

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 JTD oil pan / sump removing

Fewas123

Hi, i am trying to remove oil pan / sump on my Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD 8V and i cant figure out how to remove bolts behind gerabox without removing gearbox...How can i please remove oil pan without removing gearbox?

Thank you very much guys

There are no bolts behind the gearbox.

There are ten (from memory) M8 bolts and four M6 bolts which fit around the bulge for the crankshaft... so 14 bolts altogether.

The tricky ones are the two M6 bolts that are tucked in the gap between the crankcase and the clutch bell-housing... You probably need to remove the exhaust to get access to them... and there is also a steel plate that covers the flywheel, which is held on by an M6 screw. I always end up removing it, so it's probably in the way.

Once you have these out of the way, you should be able to see the two M6 bolts - one on each side of the crankshaft bulge - and then you have to find a way to get to them. I think these M6 bolts screw into the bottom flange of the crankshaft oil seal.. but that's doesn't help you... just a boring men club thing.. 😅

I used various lengths of extension bar/sockets to get to the bolts... it's fiddly but it can be done. Once you have 14 bolts then the cover will (eventually) come off.

Ralf S.

There are no bolts behind the gearbox.

There are ten (from memory) M8 bolts and four M6 bolts which fit around the bulge for the crankshaft... so 14 bolts altogether.

The tricky ones are the two M6 bolts that are tucked in the gap between the crankcase and the clutch bell-housing... You probably need to remove the exhaust to get access to them... and there is also a steel plate that covers the flywheel, which is held on by an M6 screw. I always end up removing it, so it's probably in the way.

Once you have these out of the way, you should be able to see the two M6 bolts - one on each side of the crankshaft bulge - and then you have to find a way to get to them. I think these M6 bolts screw into the bottom flange of the crankshaft oil seal.. but that's doesn't help you... just a boring men club thing.. 😅

I used various lengths of extension bar/sockets to get to the bolts... it's fiddly but it can be done. Once you have 14 bolts then the cover will (eventually) come off.

Ralf S.
How can i get to those two bolts next to flywheel? i know that its there, but i cant see way to them

I did the sump on my old Alfa 145, not a JTD (although the Alfa block was very similar to the JTD)... and it was a while ago.. but I remember I had to cobble up an Allen socket (I think it was 6mm, which I had to go and buy) on the end of two extension bits (one longer one shorter) .... and then feed all that into the space "blind".

Once the socket was engaged in the bolt, I could only put a 1/4" socket on it by resting the tip of the socket drive square into the end of the extension bar.. here wasn't enough room to get the extension bar fully onto the end of the socket drive.

I think I had to use a similar "loose" connection between the two extension bars so that they could rotate a bit, like a universal joint, as I was unbolting it. The shorter extension bar was in the bolt and the longer extension bar was in the 1/4 socket.

Can you see the bolts (direct line of sight)? If you can see them.. there will be a way to get to them.. 🫣

Ralf S.

Back