Technical Stilo 1.9 JTD Flywheel issue

Currently reading:
Technical Stilo 1.9 JTD Flywheel issue

MaxV26

Hi everyone.

New to the forum, but I have a question for the fiat pros. I’ve had issues with vibrations and noises on my Stilo 1.9 JTD for over a year now.
We have had the gearbox removed twice now and the issue still persists. I am almost certain that the flywheel is the issue, however a replacement flywheel and clutch plate cost a third of the value of the car in total. Can anybody give me advice on whether it is possible to do a gearbox swap or if there is a solid flywheel conversion for the 1.9 JTD.
All comments and suggestions would be appreciated, thank you all in advance.

I had a high mileage (200k miles) Fiat Doblo 1.9 with a knackered gearbox and Dual Mass flywheel, but was lucky and picked up both in good condition second hand. Usually you can feel if excess movement in flywheel and some are noisy, rattle at idle etc. noise changes when you touch accelerator.
Some people advise against solid flywheel conversion as it may damage gearbox, my thought is that is what cars came with for 100 years.
There is probably some measurement as to what is excessive, you have the slack in the springs, so clock and anticlockwise movement, but also if it can tip or rock if you pull it towards you..
I did see somewhere a tool that bolted to the flywheel so the movement could be measured, but probably fairly obvious.
If it only does it in neutral with clutch pedal up then maybe laygears in gearbox, but if noise still there when in gear with clutch pedal down possibly flywheel. Sometimes if on ramp using a screwdriver or stethoscope to your ear you may locate it better.;)

I had a high mileage (200k miles) Fiat Doblo 1.9 with a knackered gearbox and Dual Mass flywheel, but was lucky and picked up both in good condition second hand. Usually you can feel if excess movement in flywheel and some are noisy, rattle at idle etc. noise changes when you touch accelerator.
Some people advise against solid flywheel conversion as it may damage gearbox, my thought is that is what cars came with for 100 years.
There is probably some measurement as to what is excessive, you have the slack in the springs, so clock and anticlockwise movement, but also if it can tip or rock if you pull it towards you..
I did see somewhere a tool that bolted to the flywheel so the movement could be measured, but probably fairly obvious.
If it only does it in neutral with clutch pedal up then maybe laygears in gearbox, but if noise still there when in gear with clutch pedal down possibly flywheel. Sometimes if on ramp using a screwdriver or stethoscope to your ear you may locate it better.;)
Hi @bugsymike . Thank you for your advice. We have removed the gearbox twice in the past for this exact issue. First time round we observed that the clutch plate was completely loose on the mount ring, and second time round we actually opened the gearbox up and all seemed perfect. So with all of that having been checked (and with your advice) I have no doubt that the issue is the flywheel.
However what I was hoping to get assistance with is finding somebody who can supply a flywheel and clutch kit as here in South Africa my only option is the agents. And if I go that route, I’m looking at R20 000 just for parts. 😳

Hi @bugsymike . Thank you for your advice. We have removed the gearbox twice in the past for this exact issue. First time round we observed that the clutch plate was completely loose on the mount ring, and second time round we actually opened the gearbox up and all seemed perfect. So with all of that having been checked (and with your advice) I have no doubt that the issue is the flywheel.
However what I was hoping to get assistance with is finding somebody who can supply a flywheel and clutch kit as here in South Africa my only option is the agents. And if I go that route, I’m looking at R20 000 just for parts. 😳
Is there any car breakers/scrapyards within a economical mailing distance.
I don't know for sure, but if the engine is based on the earlier design pre JTD engine maybe the solid flywheel from one of those may fit. Maybe others on Forum can advise. Even if it is as some claim, bad for the gearbox, it can't be much worse than driving it as it is.

I don't know for sure, but if the engine is based on the earlier design pre JTD engine maybe the solid flywheel from one of those may fit. Maybe others on Forum can advise. Even if it is as some claim, bad for the gearbox, it can't be much worse than driving it as it is.
There are. I have thought of taking that avenue but have not called around to check availability. I have just been on the phone with an aftermarket supplier and the gentleman informed me that he can supply a flywheel and clutch at a fraction of the agents’ price. So let’s see how that goes, I will keep you updated. I’ll be stunned if it’s true as I have searched high and low, even overseas and prices all seem to be around the R20k mark for the two. 😳

@bugsymike do you mind me asking where you are situated? I see they stock the flywheel and clutch kit overseas in Italy, UK. Just want to make sure the places are reputable. Got the part number from the agents too, they tell me it is discontinued through them :/ - 71792069

@bugsymike do you mind me asking where you are situated? I see they stock the flywheel and clutch kit overseas in Italy, UK. Just want to make sure the places are reputable. Got the part number from the agents too, they tell me it is discontinued through them :/ - 71792069
I am in South West of UK, but now retired so not able to recommend any suppliers, although many Forum Members may be able to suggest some.

Back