General Steering Lower Shaft Recall

Currently reading:
General Steering Lower Shaft Recall

bobfossil

Hi,

My 07 GP had some work done around June/July 2010 (new fusebox) at the time I told the dealers about the recall on the steering column which they promised to fix.

I've received another letter from Fiat regarding the recall last week asking me to contact my nearest dealer.

Would Fiat know if the recall work had been carried out by the dealer? I tend to get the same letter from Fiat every 4 or months even though the garage in question told me the recall work had been done (although there's no mention of it on the paper work I got back from the garage). Or is there anyway I would be able to tell myself?

I did attempt to ring Fiat to confirm all of this but after 50 minutes waiting for my call to be answered I gave up.

I'm slightly concerned that the fault hasn't been fixed and so potentially im driving around in an accident waiting to happen.

Thanks

Hello

I am new to the forum. If this work hasn't been done, then would the vehicle be eligible to still have the work carried out to make right the problem?

The reason I ask is today I purchased a Grande Punto 1.4 Active Sport (Very pleased ;) )

When parked with the engine on, the steering was almost 'adjusting' itself, just jittering very slightly, like a game console steering wheel when it gives feedback? (If that makes sense)

I have noted this to the dealer and they have said they will check and resolve it before collection, any advice on that one?

Cheers!

Jon

There is NOT a recall for the column, its for the lower shaft (hence my post #2)

Do NOT buy this car unless the column is renewed, the torque sensors are faulty (STEERING WHEEL JUDDERS AND CAN TURN BY ITSELF) and will cost you around £750!

Please read similar threads in GP section.

There is NOT a recall for the column, its for the lower shaft (hence my post #2)

Do NOT buy this car unless the column is renewed, the torque sensors are faulty (STEERING WHEEL JUDDERS AND CAN TURN BY ITSELF) and will cost you around £750!

T14086

Thanks for your advice. They did mention that something needed doing to the steering but now I know what it is I will ensure it is repaired prior to full purchase. Look's as though I am not alone with this issue then?

They cannot sell it to me like that can they? I've not yet took ownership of the car only paid a small deposit so if I need to cancel the sale then I shall.

Cheers

I'd be wary, normally the sort of 'MOT' your new car gets from a garage is a quick check to make sure it's got 4 wheels on it.

If it isn't resolved, tell them to shove it.

Good old plain common sense mate!

Unless your 100% happy then simply dont hand over the cash...dosh....wonga!

As soon as you drive that car off the premises your rights drop and the garages increase, promises are often just idle words and mean little.

Good old plain common sense mate!

Unless your 100% happy then simply dont hand over the cash...dosh....wonga!

As soon as you drive that car off the premises your rights drop and the garages increase, promises are often just idle words and mean little.

A fair point well noted, I have advised them I'll be needing another test drive before handing over any money.

Hi T - Always interested in your advice.

Is your answer here telling me that it is only the originally fitted column that normally faults after 30k or so, and once replaced the new column should last as a good column should?

Cheers

Hi T - Always interested in your advice.

Is your answer here telling me that it is only the originally fitted column that normally faults after 30k or so, and once replaced the new column should last as a good column should?

Cheers

There seems to be no set pattern to column failure and many cars suffer no failure (my punto has 90k miles on it) but it does seem to be that later models suffer less failures and I don't recall a vehicle ever having more than 1 faulty column.

Back