Technical Power Steering

Currently reading:
Technical Power Steering

CarOwner

My car has developed a power steering fault so now steering is very heavy.

AA came out and stated vehicle is safe but they and two separate garages cannot confirm what the fault is and Halfords have said to go to fiat dealership but that could be a lot of money and I don't want to pay for new parts that are more valuable than my 2009 Fiat Punto Grande.

Please see the diagnostic report provided by Halfords. Has anyone had similar issues and if so, can you provide some guidance?
20240229_211042.jpg

Cheers

The Very Basics of all electrical systems in the car are:
1. Battery.
2. Alternator.
3. Main earth/ground.

Then you can add other things.
4. Starter motor. Fuel pump, coils, injectors.
5. Other connections (wiring, plugs/sockets, fuses, relays).
6. Electronic modules (ECU, Body, ABS, steering, AirBag etc.), all sensors.
7. As for CAN communication, one faulty module can spoil the others, they share same lines.

Check first 3 things. Then maybe 7 (unplug auxiliary modules like EPS, ABS, AirBag and watch if communication with ECU/Body comes back).
This might be a job for a real-deal, not clowns who can't really Diagnose a thing (pathetic part changers, mediocre grease monkeys): https://www.youtube.com/c/AutomotiveTestSolutions/videos

The Very Basics of all electrical systems in the car are:
1. Battery.
2. Alternator.
3. Main earth/ground.

Then you can add other things.
4. Starter motor. Fuel pump, coils, injectors.
5. Other connections (wiring, plugs/sockets, fuses, relays).
6. Electronic modules (ECU, Body, ABS, steering, AirBag etc.), all sensors.
7. As for CAN communication, one faulty module can spoil the others, they share same lines.

Check first 3 things. Then maybe 7 (unplug auxiliary modules like EPS, ABS, AirBag and watch if communication with ECU/Body comes back).
This might be a job for a real-deal, not clowns who can't really Diagnose a thing (pathetic part changers, mediocre grease monkeys): https://www.youtube.com/c/AutomotiveTestSolutions/videos
Thank you, I'll look into your information

My car has developed a power steering fault so now steering is very heavy.

AA came out and stated vehicle is safe but they and two separate garages cannot confirm what the fault is and Halfords have said to go to fiat dealership but that could be a lot of money and I don't want to pay for new parts that are more valuable than my 2009 Fiat Punto Grande.

Please see the diagnostic report provided by Halfords. Has anyone had similar issues and if so, can you provide some guidance? View attachment 439255

Cheers
Thanks all for your help, just updating that it has now been resolved.

The third garage I took it to have repaired it, the steering rack and motor needed replacing.

Back