Technical ESP+power steering intermittently working

Currently reading:
Technical ESP+power steering intermittently working

peabraindk

hi ya all
my 2009 1.4 8v with a bit shy of 200k km is my first car and soon due for an MOT.

90% of the time on start up i get the ESP hill holder + hill assist not workign on the dash, though some times i will start up and just work normally.
ive had it reset via obd2 no dice and it stated steering position angle sensor or something like that.

when i turn the wheel power steering feels fine no grinding no noises, and abs brakes are also working fine.

on start up it will also state power steering need checking but usually it goes away shortly after when i turn the wheel a bit.

before i order a steering "doughnut" anything i sould try to test out, i was told a wheel speed sensor could make a false error but doubt that.

also need to look at the rear hatch open warning that persists til i dive and car locks

thank you for reading/helping in advance :)

Read sticky threads pal. Electrical gremlins or something like that. Plus GOOGLE (put there your problem "hill holder + ESP blah blah").
Bad "earth" and weak battery (because of ageing alternator plus water flooding it - improper drains) is the most common problem here.
When power delivery is OK (100% sure), then yeah, it can be power steering system itself.

thx for the info
battery should only be a few weeks old, but i might check to see if it is the correct one.
earths i will go over a bit tomorrow together with alternator charging and wiring.

the ESP error is on start up and is on the whole trip, though sometimes it will not be on when starting car.

the power steering goes away as soon i set off and turned the wheel a bit.

i suspect the hill holder is connected to the esp error

the ESP error is on start up and is on the whole trip, though sometimes it will not be on when starting car.

the power steering goes away as soon i set off and turned the wheel a bit.

i suspect the hill holder is connected to the esp error
Same issue than you , just not as frequently but i never had unassisted steering feel .
I think it could be earth i am checking mine this week for that

yeah now that it is a bit colder i also noticed my cruise controll failes and locks up until i restart the car a few times.
im thinking to look into the ignition switch and the ground and positive to the steering part.

yeah now that it is a bit colder i also noticed my cruise controll failes and locks up until i restart the car a few times.
im thinking to look into the ignition switch and the ground and positive to the steering part.
And the horn and steering buttons work? Also the rear stop lights work? Could be a brake switch

not the brake switch. (it works and was recently replaced)
when i turn off and on the cruise control the light stays on no matter what on the dash.
by restarting the car a couple times i will go back to working a while.

Last edited:
not the brake switch. (it works and was recently replaced)
when i turn off and on the cruise control the light stays on no matter what on the dash.
by restarting the car a couple times i will go back to working a while.
Have you solved the issue? Best regards

Read sticky threads pal. Electrical gremlins or something like that. Plus GOOGLE (put there your problem "hill holder + ESP blah blah").
Bad "earth" and weak battery (because of ageing alternator plus water flooding it - improper drains) is the most common problem here.
When power delivery is OK (100% sure), then yeah, it can be power steering system itself.
so if the power steering does not have symptoms it could really be the power steering itself? in my case only happen at starting the car and never cause power steering failures, i have tried in two systems of diagnosis one(vident) gives me the c0051 and u1715( yaw rate sensor) , in mes it gives me the c0051 and c1002.
i am really lost in my case i cleaned earths and checked battery too changed to other battery and the error presist, can some mechanical issues cause this type of error at starting the car? because when i am at 120kmh i ear what appear a rolling noise from the front (changed tires front to back) happens more when i turn the steering in highway to the left but everything seems fine...

in my case it is fine on and off, i can sometimes restart the car and it works next start it wont be.

hoping this weekend im able to take cover off and check what model ignition barrel is on there and try replace that first.

though i notice the cruise controll works less often during under 3c outside, and changing temps has abs and esp error less often or more.

in my case it is fine on and off, i can sometimes restart the car and it works next start it wont be.

hoping this weekend im able to take cover off and check what model ignition barrel is on there and try replace that first.

though i notice the cruise controll works less often during under 3c outside, and changing temps has abs and esp error less often or more.
Same as mine , on off solves it but my cruise control is fine for now , i was wondering if some camber misaligment of the suspension struct could affect this, honestly dont know i guess i wil change the steering column and hope for the best :LOL:

I also found out this check item
Screenshot_20240113-202232_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107-164003_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107-164003_Chrome.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 23
Back