Technical 1.9 JTDM Sporting (Prob 2) Check power steering error (ESP and Hill holder unavailable)

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 JTDM Sporting (Prob 2) Check power steering error (ESP and Hill holder unavailable)

stevietease

2nd snag.

Sometimes randomly on starting i get a 'check power steering fault' followed by 'ESP unavailable', 'Hill holding unavailable' messages.
When it happens it also turns off the ASR.
It used to do it all the time with the previous owner (me dad) but only after about 5mins of driving but he just lived with it.
I thought id sorted it when i got it as i noticed the steering wheel wasn't centred and it was running the front o/s tyre off so checked the alignment and it was way out.
A new set of bottom arms, track-rod ends, 4 tyres and the tracking done and it went away :)
But recently its back again but this time on starting and only intermittently.
When it happens ive worked out if i turn it off and start it again a couple of times, the messages dont appear?

Any ideas?

Cheers me dears

2nd snag.

Sometimes randomly on starting i get a 'check power steering fault' followed by 'ESP unavailable', 'Hill holding unavailable' messages.
When it happens it also turns off the ASR.
It used to do it all the time with the previous owner (me dad) but only after about 5mins of driving but he just lived with it.
I thought id sorted it when i got it as i noticed the steering wheel wasn't centred and it was running the front o/s tyre off so checked the alignment and it was way out.
A new set of bottom arms, track-rod ends, 4 tyres and the tracking done and it went away :)
But recently its back again but this time on starting and only intermittently.
When it happens ive worked out if i turn it off and start it again a couple of times, the messages dont appear?

Any ideas?

Cheers me dears
This may tie in with your starting issue in other thread, some people on forum have had issues with wrong battery, not suited for stop start engines dropping the cranking voltage causing ECU error codes. Some change batteries , others find earthing or wiring issues corrosion on earthing points etc cause the volt drop. Just a thought.
Possibly a voltmeter test at different earth points , engine, ecu, starter when cranking may show a drop, from battetry voltage at posts?

This may tie in with your starting issue in other thread, some people on forum have had issues with wrong battery, not suited for stop start engines dropping the cranking voltage causing ECU error codes. Some change batteries , others find earthing or wiring issues corrosion on earthing points etc cause the volt drop. Just a thought.
Possibly a voltmeter test at different earth points , engine, ecu, starter when cranking may show a drop, from battetry voltage at posts?
Ill do that cheers pal, it'll be later today after work to test them but ill post what i find if anything. Also im gonna stick the jump pack on it to see if it makes a difference as and when it has the snag next time.

Resistance checks done which all look ok (but annoyingly the car did decide to start normally everytime i was doing them!) but i think this is possibly not tied into the starting problem now as its getting progressively worse and happening more often.
Whilst looking into the glow plug error i had the car connected to a jump-pack which cleared that fault but the ESP/check power steering fault still happened?

Looking through other posts a throttle switch is mentioned a couple of times so ill look at that next i think.

Back