Technical Battery Light On & Power Steering Failure on First Start Up

Currently reading:
Technical Battery Light On & Power Steering Failure on First Start Up

Battery Light On & Power Steering Failure on First Start Up

OK, I have this problem and have seen posts on forums etc about the Battery Light being on & Power Steering Failure on first start up.

I have never really seen a resolution, just suggestions, but to be clear I have replaced earth cables, alternator and battery and the issue is still current! (pardon the pun!!)

There are no codes recorded and it always occurs on first start up, if you start the car the battery symbol is on and the power steering is stiff. However, by then turning off the car and starting again it clears the issue. In fact you can put the ignition on so all the lights on the dash are illuminated (but not start the engine), then go back one click with the key before actually starting the car and it will start normally.

I have investigated and the only suggestion has been that it could be the BCM and allegedly there is an update for the BCM for the Punto but nobody has any details.

Has anyone actually fixed this fault and can point me (and others) in the right direction?

1698312963949.png

Some time ago I passed on information from a PMM Professional Motor piece regarding Fiat starting issues and a software update.
Sorry I can't remember exactly when, but you may be able to trawl through my past comments or try and find it Online at PMM.:)

Some time ago I passed on information from a PMM Professional Motor piece regarding Fiat starting issues and a software update.
Sorry I can't remember exactly when, but you may be able to trawl through my past comments or try and find it Online at PMM.:)
Thanks... not many posts to go through! :ROFLMAO:

Who swapped the alternator and battery? You or some "grease monkey"?

About 99% cases of battery light on + power steering off is a result of:
- bad ground,
- bad positive lead,
- bad connections somewhere else (ECU, "excitation" line D+),
- bad alternator (or cheapest one or "refurbished" with cheapest parts, especially regulator),
- therefore bad battery (replacing alternator is not enough - charge the battery outside the car with proper charger and/or check with a battery tester).

Brand new battery can be discharged/worn a bit too (because it was probably sitting on the shelf for couple months, without maintenance).

Aftermarket alternators (unlike original, Denso) can be "incompatible" with the ECU, so it does not recognize D+ line correctly (therefore batt. light - note this is digital, ECU processes the D+ "signal" and sends it via CAN to the gages/dash, this is not a classic "excitation" circuit).
When the batt. ligh is on and steering is out, check the voltage - alternator is probably working (charging) fine, so it's "just" a (ECU <-> D+) "communication" problem (but the battery condition plays big role here).

Who swapped the alternator and battery? You or some "grease monkey"?

About 99% cases of battery light on + power steering off is a result of:
- bad ground,
- bad positive lead,
- bad connections somewhere else (ECU, "excitation" line D+),
- bad alternator (or cheapest one or "refurbished" with cheapest parts, especially regulator),
- therefore bad battery (replacing alternator is not enough - charge the battery outside the car with proper charger and/or check with a battery tester).

Brand new battery can be discharged/worn a bit too (because it was probably sitting on the shelf for couple months, without maintenance).

Aftermarket alternators (unlike original, Denso) can be "incompatible" with the ECU, so it does not recognize D+ line correctly (therefore batt. light - note this is digital, ECU processes the D+ "signal" and sends it via CAN to the gages/dash, this is not a classic "excitation" circuit).
When the batt. ligh is on and steering is out, check the voltage - alternator is probably working (charging) fine, so it's "just" a (ECU <-> D+) "communication" problem (but the battery condition plays big role here).
Thanks very much for taking the time to answer, much appreciated.

I have been restoring this car and the cables and alternator were replaced with original parts by a non-grease monkey but still gave the same fault. The battery was condition tested and fully charged before putting on the car.

Looking more like BCM/ECU and D+ issue! 🥺

Back