General Replacing Rear Bushes and Wheel Bearings ..

Currently reading:
General Replacing Rear Bushes and Wheel Bearings ..

Installed new rear axle bushes in FiatFleetFamily Multiwagon today.

Started at about 10am and finished at about 2:30pm.

New stainless tools worked perfectly, pushed the old shell's out and the new bushes in no problems at all.

Bit of a delay while I fetched a pair of replacement shockers as the on the rear drivers side was worn.

Bushes had previously been replaced but whoever did them made a complete mess of it. The bushes hadn't been aligned properly or pushed all the way in. Plus the old shells had been chiseled out which damaged the axle quite badly.

Have attached a few photo's for those of you that are interested, plus a vid of me pushing out the old shell's ..

[ame="http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/Shadeyman67/?action=view&current=2012-07-26-345.mp4"]2012-07-26-345.mp4 video by Shadeyman67 - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid296.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid296.photobucket.com/albums/mm189/Shadeyman67/2012-07-26-345.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@vid296@@AMEPARAM@@296@@AMEPARAM@@mm189/Shadeyman67/2012-07-26-345@@AMEPARAM@@mp4[/ame]

Attachments

• 2012-07-26-333.jpg
    2012-07-26-333.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
  • 2012-07-26-337.jpg
    2012-07-26-337.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 192
  • 2012-07-26-339.jpg
    2012-07-26-339.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 183
  • 2012-07-26-346.jpg
    2012-07-26-346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 184
  • 2012-07-26-341.jpg
    2012-07-26-341.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 259
Installed new rear axle bushes in FiatFleetFamily Multiwagon today.

Started at about 10am and finished at about 2:30pm.

New stainless tools worked perfectly, pushed the old shell's out and the new bushes in no problems at all.

Bit of a delay while I fetched a pair of replacement shockers as the on the rear drivers side was worn.

Bushes had previously been replaced but whoever did them made a complete mess of it. The bushes hadn't been aligned properly or pushed all the way in. Plus the old shells had been chiseled out which damaged the axle quite badly.

Shadey

Thanks very much for your ultra professional assistance and knowledge. :worship:

Whats bugs me is that the bushes have been changed before, but not in my ownership, but by the 1st Owner. This would of been a warranty claim job and I feel if Fiat changed them or subcontracted the warranty job, there was no QA full stop. (n)

If you are reading this thread by Shadey, I would sincerley check that your bushes are fittted correctly, as my old ones from the previous owners warranty job at Fiat/Subcon where not pushed in all the way and that the position of the bushes was also incorrect which added to increase wear and failure. :)

Thanks again Shadey, it did look good, that 2 late plate MW's together on the side of the road. (y)

No more knocking on my local roads. :D

Whats bugs me is that the bushes have been changed before, but not in my ownership, but by the 1st Owner. This would of been a warranty claim job and I feel if Fiat changed them or subcontracted the warranty job, there was no QA full stop. (n)

Even the bushes them selves had been butchered, heavy grinding marks all over them, quite deep in places. You can see them in the attached photo. A far from professional job IMO.

The more bushes I replace the more I realise how many people have allowed their Stilos to be butchered by garages that just don't know what they're doing.

Thanks again Shadey, it did look good, that 2 late plate MW's together on the side of the road. (n)

They did look pretty good sitting side by side, :D wish I'd taken a photo ... :(

Attachments

• 2012-07-26-343.jpg
    2012-07-26-343.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
i couldnt agree more,
both our mws had butchered bushes from previous owners - or more likely incapable garages, my wifes were not so bad - just not fully inserted, but mine had damaged hangers, scored bushes, incorrect bolts thats go though the bush (no nylock and for some reason it had a spline on one end so i suspect it was originally a headbolt - not designed for hanging bushes) and 3 incorrect bolts in the hanger, two of them had actually crossed the threads so i had to open them up and tap with larger bolts which caused the hanger to to bang for a while until i sussed that one out as well.

I just got your stainless steel set, thanks stu thats fantastic, infact the tool looks too good to use!!!

Thinking about the job though, £25 per bush, £70 for the puller, say £30 for a genuine fiat press tool and then you only need the collar.
STILL works out much cheaper than getting any garage to do the job! even after buying the tools - and its done correctly.

I think your gona be busy when people realise that thier bushes need doing again because of poor workmanship....

I think your gona be busy when people realise that thier bushes need doing again because of poor workmanship....

I really am surprised by the poor workmanship I've encountered.

The Stilo's Torsion Bushes are not like the bushes found on most other vehicles.

Pushing the old shells out using a flat disc tool is a must to prevent damage to the axle.

Aligning the bushes correctly with the axle when reinstalling is a must or they will not be able to do the job they're designed to do and will fail prematurely.

Using a 3 pronged tool to push these bushes in is also a must or again the bushes will be damaged and fail prematurely, usually instantly.

After removing one of these bushes a quick look at the internals of the bush tells you there's more going on than initially meets the eye, especially when oil under pressure squirts 2 meters across the floor. So why do "professional" people continue to install them without knowing more about them, exactly how they work and how they should be installed?

If I had to put a figure on it I'd say about 60% of the bushes I've replaced have not been done correctly by someone. This has varied from cheap local mechanics to over priced Fiat dealers. So if you are going to have your bushes done make sure the person doing them knows what they're doing before you part with your hard earned cash.

There's a bit more info in the link below about Torsion Bushes, what they do, how they do it etc(came across it when I was looking for an alternative) ...
http://www.antivibrationmethods.com/Products/Bushes/TorsionBush/tabid/199/Default.aspx

Attachments

• 2012-07-28-355.jpg
    2012-07-28-355.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Big thank you shady for the bush tools, they make life so much easier, you would think they were specially made for it lol. I just dropped the full axle I snipped the brake lines and just bent and flared new ones, makes sense if your not doing it in situ like you, don't fancy that, maybe with a bit more practice lol. The set of tool and draper puller make easy work of the job. I have rebuilt all the suspension wishbones, drop links, track rod ends arb bushes 4 bilstien b4s and a set of eibach springs looking good I will post some pics if I can work out how to.
Shadey man cheers you went above and beyond the call of duty.
Alex

Royal Mail .. :bang:

They are really well made, not by myself I may add but a very talented guy called Al.

100% stainless steel and they really do work perfectly.

Fitting the bushes while the axle is in situ is not as hard as you may think, a little cramped at times but with the right tools its far easier than before.

Thanks for donating, it appreciated. :worship:

Hello Shadeyman, there is a knocking coming from both sides at the rear of my MW, which i'm imagining to be the rear axle bushes.
If you would be interested in putting in new ones for me , what kind of cost would we be talking about ?
Regards Jason

Hello Shadeyman, there is a knocking coming from both sides at the rear of my MW, which i'm imagining to be the rear axle bushes.
If you would be interested in putting in new ones for me , what kind of cost would we be talking about ?
Regards Jason

I have a Multiwagon rear axle with brand new bushes already installed forsale.
https://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=26999

You could do as Muppet1 did and just bolt on a complete axle.

Or if you prefer contact me via PM and I'll give you a price to supply and fit original Fiat bushes to your axle. (y)

hi any idea how much it would be to fix the bushes on drivers side rear of fiat stilo 1.9jtd 04 plate? my car clunks when going down bumps etc thanks

hi any idea how much it would be to fix the bushes on drivers side rear of fiat stilo 1.9jtd 04 plate? my car clunks when going down bumps etc thanks

Not a good idea to replace only 1 bush.

If 1 has failed the other will fail shortly if it hasn't already so best to change both while the axle is off the car.

If you plan to do the job yourself original fiat bushes are around £50 a pair. You'll also need new bolts as the old one nearly always need cutting out, cost about £10.

Its not an easy job to do here's a guide I made that will help: https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo-guides/269439-diy-stilo-rear-bush-replacement.html

The info in this thread will also help you, better tools etc.

If you prefer I can supply you with an axle that has brand new original fiat bushes already installed, just remove the old axle and bolt on the new one.

Or If your close to Wolverhampton pop round and I'll fit new bushes to your cars axle while its still attached to the car. Takes about 4 hours ...

If your JTD is a Multiwagon I have an axle forsale in the classifieds that may interest you.
https://www.fiatforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=26999&cat=68

Good luck

oh i couldnt do it myself changing a wheel and bulb is my limit haha! i will be taking it to a garage in the middlesbrough area as i have no one else that could do it, was just hoping for a round about price for it.

oh i couldnt do it myself changing a wheel and bulb is my limit haha! i will be taking it to a garage in the middlesbrough area as i have no one else that could do it, was just hoping for a round about price for it.

I fit original Fiat bushes for £200. Fiat charge around £700 I believe.

The main problem with local garages is most don't have the correct tools for the job or understand how to do it correctly.

One axle I came across(photo's of it in this thread) had previously had its bushes replaced by Fiat under warranty and even they made a complete mess of the job, badly damaged the axle by using what looked like a chisel to remove the old bushes.

So if you plan to have a local garage do the job ask a few questions to make sure they're not going to trash your car and waste your money.

How do they remove the old bushes? Pushing them out hydraulically is the best option, cutting and chiseling should be avoided.

Do they have the special three pronged tool recommended and sold by Fiat for pushing in the new bushes? The bushes are filled with oil and can rupture if the correct tool isn't used.

Do they know how to correctly align the bushes in the the axle? Incorrect alignment of the bushes seriously reduces their life expectancy and the performance of the Stilo's rear torsion axle.

Good luck (y)

Last edited:
I fit original Fiat bushes for £200. Fiat charge around £700 I believe.

The main problem with local garages is most don't have the correct tools for the job or understand how to do it correctly.

One axle I came across(photo's of it in this thread) had previously had its bushes replaced by Fiat under warranty and even they made a complete mess of the job, badly damaged the axle by using what looked like a chisel to remove the old bushes.

So if you plan to have a local garage do the job ask a few questions to make sure they're not going to trash your car and waste your money.

How do they remove the old bushes? Pushing them out hydraulically is the best option, cutting and chiseling should be avoided.

Do they have the special three pronged tool recommended and sold by Fiat for pushing in the new bushes? The bushes are filled with oil and can rupture if the correct tool isn't used.

Do they know how to correctly align the bushes in the the axle? Incorrect alignment of the bushes seriously reduces their life expectancy and the performance of the Stilo's rear torsion axle.

Good luck (y)
thanks for your advice! cars are way to technical and expensive for my liking haha! i shall have to get them done though, it doesnt clunk all the time just now and again when i go over bumps! :)

thanks for your advice! cars are way to technical and expensive for my liking haha! i shall have to get them done though, it doesnt clunk all the time just now and again when i go over bumps! :)

Its not just the odd clunk and bang, the handling is seriously effected. Anyone who has had their rear bushes replaced(correctly) will notice a massive increase in the handling. The rear end is so much more planted on the road, everything fells so much more controlled, especially at motorway speeds.

The Stilo's rear torsion axle combined with its resilient bushes gives the car a rear steer effect when cornering. A similar effect to how a skate board works. Its a very clever design that helps keep the rear of a Stilo under control.

Worn or failed rear bushes = poor handling, a loose felling thats scary at high speeds(motorways).

Back