General Replacing Rear Bushes and Wheel Bearings ..

Currently reading:
General Replacing Rear Bushes and Wheel Bearings ..

Very nice. I have lived in far worse places than that in the forces, and without the carpet/rug.

I could have done with one like it fifty years ago!

Now I know why you are always messing with cars :)

A while back I had a couple of tools made to help me install the bushes. A 3 pronged tool and a ring to allow the bush to stick out the back when pushing it in.

Today I took delivery of my latest and updated versions. Made completely of stainless steal they are lighter and thinner than the first version.

I've added a pic of the old and new tools, plus a couple of pics of them in action today.

I'm well chuffed with them. Using the hydraulic puller and these new tools it takes me less than 5 minutes a side to push them in.

Attachments

• 2012-07-09-551.jpg
    2012-07-09-551.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 142
  • 2012-07-09-537.jpg
    2012-07-09-537.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
  • 2012-07-09-542.jpg
    2012-07-09-542.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 170
Last edited:
yeah please mate, a spare set especially at that price would be very useful,
lemme know the delivery costs etc and i will send you a payment!!!
roy

The full set of tools he made me includes a flat plate for bushing out the shell of the old bushes. Here's a pic of the full set.

Just PM'd you payment details. (y)

Attachments

• 2012-07-10-552.jpg
    2012-07-10-552.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 63
The full set of tools he made me includes a flat plate for bushing out the shell of the old bushes. Here's a pic of the full set.

Just PM'd you payment details. (y)

Hi there shadeyman, names Alex I have been studying your posts on the rear bush
Threads, I'm just about to do my dads 1.9jtd, anyway I bought the draper puller
Same as yours, I was going to attempt it with some threaded pipe couplings and a 65 mm socket. Anyway long story short , if there is another set of tools for
Sale I would be interested, let me know if it's possible mate, save me any
Faffing about cheers.

Hi there shadeyman, names Alex I have been studying your posts on the rear bush
Threads, I'm just about to do my dads 1.9jtd, anyway I bought the draper puller
Same as yours, I was going to attempt it with some threaded pipe couplings and a 65 mm socket. Anyway long story short , if there is another set of tools for
Sale I would be interested, let me know if it's possible mate, save me any
Faffing about cheers.

Morning Alex, welcome to the forum.

Yes there are more sets of tools available.

I've just sent payment details for the tools via PM. Once I've received payment I'll send them to you via Parcel Force 48 unless your local to me then your welcome to collect them.

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get one with the rear bushes done last year so hopefully wont need it for a while, but my dad has a 3 door on a 04 plate that he has had from new that may need your help in the future ;-) this is really interesting buddy i do like reading your threads

hi shady, you truly are a bush replacement guru. pop quiz for you. is the axel exactly the same on a 5dr as a 3dr because i have a spare 5 dr axel and the bushes need replacing on my 3dr so i bet you know what i'm thinking of doing don't you? thats right, if the axel is the same i will fit new bushes to the one off the car then remove and replace my axel with the 5 dr one. please help me. :worship:

tim woollands
Yes the axle for the 3 and 5 door are the same. Only difference is the bracket for HID self leveling sensor, a car with HIDs needs an axle that has a self leveling sensor bracket.

Getting the old bushes out is pretty straight forward but pushing in the new bushes is not so easy.

First they have to be aligned correctly.

Then you'll need about 6 ton of force and the right tools to push them in.

Edit.
If the job turns out to be a bit too difficult I'll collect the axle, fit new bushes for you and have it back to you the same day for £200 as long as I'm collecting from Mansfield. Or you could bring it to me and I'll do it for less, I'm the other end of the A38 about 1 and a half hour drive.

Last edited:
Back