Technical Reduce Noise

Currently reading:
Technical Reduce Noise

Duffys Dad

I have a 500 Giardiniera and the down side of having the engine under the floor is that it is rather noisy for the passengers. I was wandering if there are any appropriate damping or noise reduction materials which could be fitted to reduce the engine noise. Preferably without them being visible and if possible easily removable to return the car to as original if required at a later date.

Vibrations are causing and amplifying the noise.

The best solutions are durable :( That's the purpose. I can't think of anything that could be removed easily.

Butyl rubber mats that are glued to the body + eventually polyurethane foam glued on top of that.

Vibrations are causing and amplifying the noise.

The best solutions are durable :( That's the purpose. I can't think of anything that could be removed easily.

Butyl rubber mats that are glued to the body + eventually polyurethane foam glued on top of that.
Sadly, the openess of the rear of a Giardi does not help, being that the engine is right under the rear floor. You could try some more (and more modern) sound deadening on the underside of the engine cover and in the rear compartment under the rear carpets, possinbly also under the carpets under the seats, especially the rear seats. A good, and fairly easily fitted insulator is "DYNAMAT". The DYNAMAT "Hoodliner" might be the answer for the rear compartment and engine cover, with 'ordinary' Dynamat for under the seats etc (it is only 1.7mm thick). A good source of this material is from "CAR BUILDER SOLUTIONS". If you go onto their website, they will send you one of their catalogues for FREE! The CBS catalogue is a gold-mine---you would be amazed as to how many problems can be solved by scrolling through the catalogue.

Yes, every open type car body (cabrios, targas, roadsters, panoramas etc) does not help, as the sound gets in through the material and glass.

That's why I've abandonned the subject myself in my daily cabrio. But it will still help a little bit. The flat floor surfaces won't vibrate and create any aditionnal noise.

Back