Technical Fiat500L Shifting noise

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat500L Shifting noise

NunzioF

My 1969 Fiat 500L has developed a banging noise as I shift from one gear to another and sometimes when I release pressure from the engine by pressing the clutch.
Has anyone experienced that with their cars?

Not really. It’s is a banging noise.
Without a video, it is difficult to diagnose, BUT it could possibly be that a broken gearbox mount is allowing the gearbox to hit the body as it moves around during a gearchange, or when you press the clutch pedal. The top of the gearbox runs close to the underside of the body

Do you by any chance have a part number or picture of the gearbox mount?
5E0628E6-7211-45A7-95A9-F82BDDF98621.jpegGot a new pair on the table right in front of me 😀

I forgot to mention my 500 has a Fiat126 engine. Does that affect the Gearbox mount?
The mounts for the 2 gearboxes are the same---1 mount per side. They bolt onto the side of the gearbox (at the front of the gearbox) and fit between the gearbox and the small cross-member

It will take a long time to get them in the usa
Mr Fiat in Atlanta has them ---part number "TM-500-08"--$10 each (you need 2).The trouble with Mr Fiat is the horrendous carriage fees he charges---$8 for $20 dollars of parts. It might be a long wait, but Davis's (Toshi) parts might actually work out cheaper!

Just in case I checked the shipping and I might just get away with £11 on that one.

I just ordered a massive amount of parts from Ricambio in the UK yesterday and they are scheduled for delivery to the east coast USA on Monday via DHL. The bits that Hobbler has sent me usually arrive in just a week or so. It may not take as long as you think.

I just ordered a massive amount of parts from Ricambio in the UK yesterday and they are scheduled for delivery to the east coast USA on Monday via DHL. The bits that Hobbler has sent me usually arrive in just a week or so. It may not take as long as you think.
Just a thought, before you go ordering parts that might not be required (due to not being the cause)--check your drive-shaft couplings. When they get knackered (worn out), the rubber/alloy coupling can also cause a knocking sound when changing gears

Back