Technical REAR WHEEL NOISE LIKE A MAGPIE OR TOAD!

Currently reading:
Technical REAR WHEEL NOISE LIKE A MAGPIE OR TOAD!

I noticed a strange noise coming from the rear wheels, it sounds like a creek on a regular rotation of the rear wheels, when I gently brake it stops but starts again when I accelerate or coast. I checked the wheel nuts they are tight. Can anyone throw some light on this? It almost sounds like a Magpie noise! or a large Toad! Next week I will jack up the rear & inspect it In the meantime all suggestions are welcome, please don’t suggest I take it to the local Zoo. Barry

One of the “silent block” axle dampers ticking against the box frame enclosure it sits in?

One of the “silent block” axle dampers ticking against the box frame enclosure it sits in?
Thanks for your response it’s appreciated, Without getting to technical is it an easy job to fit new ones. The biggest problem seem to find a competent mechanic to work on 50 year old cars over here, so the alternative is to do it yourself, and are any special tools needed?
I am hoping it may be just a small thing like a stone, but i doubt it as i have discs on the rear (wast of time) so I don’t know where a stone would trap itself.
Barry

Thanks for your response it’s appreciated, Without getting to technical is it an easy job to fit new ones. The biggest problem seem to find a competent mechanic to work on 50 year old cars over here, so the alternative is to do it yourself, and are any special tools needed?
I am hoping it may be just a small thing like a stone, but i doubt it as i have discs on the rear (wast of time) so I don’t know where a stone would trap itself.
Barry
One other point is the noise STOPS when I apply slight pressure on the brake

One other point is the noise STOPS when I apply slight pressure on the brake
Then it’s likely brake related. The logical thing to to is get the car on jack stands and spin the wheels and see if you can isolate it. Observe what the calipers and pads look like. Could be something as simple as a loose caliper bolt. Or your pads are wearing.

Wheel bearings might be worth checking too. A worn wheel bearing noise can change with application of the brake, as it loads up the bearing differently?
If I jack it up and spin the wheels, would I notice if the bearings are going? As I said its a regular creek (like a toad) noise on each revolution of the wheel.

A wheel bearing will probably only make a noise if loaded.

If you jack it up and spin the wheel by hand and it’s still making the noise, then a stone/other debris stuck in the silent block or brake area, as suggested by @Uaglio and @fiat500 seems most likely.

If it doesn’t make the noise then I’d be checking for anything loose in the brake area, anything that could be rubbing against the wheel or brake disc. A damaged wheel bearing would normally feel rough when you turn the wheel or you would be able to feel play in it.

I don’t think wheel bearing is the most likely cause, just worth checking while you’re in there investigating.

Hopefully it will just be something simple like a stone stuck in a brake pad, or a dust shield that’s bent and rubbing against the disc.

A wheel bearing will probably only make a noise if loaded.

If you jack it up and spin the wheel by hand and it’s still making the noise, then a stone/other debris stuck in the silent block or brake area, as suggested by @Uaglio and @fiat500 seems most likely.

If it doesn’t make the noise then I’d be checking for anything loose in the brake area, anything that could be rubbing against the wheel or brake disc. A damaged wheel bearing would normally feel rough when you turn the wheel or you would be able to feel play in it.

I don’t think wheel bearing is the most likely cause, just worth checking while you’re in there investigating.

Hopefully it will just be something simple like a stone stuck in a brake pad, or a dust shield that’s bent and rubbing against the disc.
Many thanks i will be under the car next week (with axle stands) & check it out. I will post the result

Hi CF500, before you do anything underneath leave the car on it's wheels, go to the rear wheel (either side) take hold of the top of the tyre and rock it out (gently) and in, to-from the side of the car and check for any unusual movement/clunking noise etc. It seems to me that as the noise stops with application of the brake the natural centering effect of the pads against the drum (you do have drums on the rear?) indicates that a bearing is damaged or the hub is maladjusted, or the shaft is moving laterally. If by chance you have discs forget that I commented!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ian.

Hi CF500, before you do anything underneath leave the car on it's wheels, go to the rear wheel (either side) take hold of the top of the tyre and rock it out (gently) and in, to-from the side of the car and check for any unusual movement/clunking noise etc. It seems to me that as the noise stops with application of the brake the natural centering effect of the pads against the drum (you do have drums on the rear?) indicates that a bearing is damaged or the hub is maladjusted, or the shaft is moving laterally. If by chance you have discs forget that I commented!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ian.
Hi Ian Unfortunately I have discs on the rear (useless).
Barry

Hi Barry, Ha! Disc's LOL. OK even though you have disc's I would still do the rocking test (without handbrake-if you have one???) You could have any of the aforementioned problems and the disc could be loose aswell!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Ian.

Hi Barry, Ha! Disc's LOL. OK even though you have disc's I would still do the rocking test (without handbrake-if you have one???) You could have any of the aforementioned problems and the disc could be loose aswell!!!! :mad::mad::mad:
Ian.
Hi Ian I have checked any abnormal movement on the wheels as you suggested they appear to be rock solid, so next is to remove the wheels & I am hoping it will be something stupid like a stone. At least it gives me the opportunity to clean & check the brakes etc, once a year I usually clean the inside of my wheels but missed last year. The photo is of the near/side from an old pic.
Many thanks for you help again
Barry

Attachments

• 297F4D0B-947C-49D1-839F-8293561C93F5.jpeg
    297F4D0B-947C-49D1-839F-8293561C93F5.jpeg
    559.9 KB · Views: 37
Hi Ian I have checked any abnormal movement on the wheels as you suggested they appear to be rock solid, so next is to remove the wheels & I am hoping it will be something stupid like a stone. At least it gives me the opportunity to clean & check the brakes etc, once a year I usually clean the inside of my wheels but missed last year. The photo is of the near/side from an old pic.
Many thanks for you help again
Barry
I noticed that you have the Polish drive-shaft c/v couplings on your car---have you had any problems with them? I have a set to fit (the latest, simpler design wasn't available when I bought my set). What tyres are you using?

I noticed that you have the Polish drive-shaft c/v couplings on your car---have you had any problems with them? I have a set to fit (the latest, simpler design wasn't available when I bought my set). What tyres are you using?
Hi they were on the car when I bought it 2019 , The suspension and brakes were all checked 50 miles ago at MBG I hope thats not where the creeking noise is coming from, Next week I will jack the car up & try & find the noise. Not sure what tyres they are I will let you know tomorrow.

Hi they were on the car when I bought it 2019 , The suspension and brakes were all checked 50 miles ago at MBG I hope thats not where the creeking noise is coming from, Next week I will jack the car up & try & find the noise. Not sure what tyres they are I will let you know tomorrow.
Thank you.

Thank you.
Tyres - NANKANE TOURSPORT 611 165/55 13-70 very tight fit & not much space in the arches, on the front I am very careful not to put on full lock as they just touch the arch slightly. Also Very firm on the road but thats mainly due to the suspension, One of the reasons I hear & feel every creek & matchstick i drive over.
Barry

Tyres - NANKANE TOURSPORT 611 165/55 13-70 very tight fit & not much space in the arches, on the front I am very careful not to put on full lock as they just touch the arch slightly. Also Very firm on the road but thats mainly due to the suspension, One of the reasons I hear & feel every creek & matchstick i drive over.
Barry
Thank you for that information, especially the tyre make. You have the same size tyres as I have--I have Pirelli P700 tyres, seem to do a good job. One of the main considerations regarding tyres for the 500 is that they must NOT have 'hard'shoulders. The 500 has 'swing-arm' suspension and therefore if you fit tyres with a 'hard'shoulder, they tend to ride on the shoulder of the tyre when cornering. One of the design facets of the Pirelliis that the tyre's shoulders are fairly 'rounded'

Back