Technical Question about 2.8JTD

Currently reading:
Technical Question about 2.8JTD

Orkney Laika

Hello again

When I bought my Laika, there was a hell of a lot of black smoke under load. I have changed all the sensors, had the engine carbon cleaned and it still has something that worries me even if it is running better now.

When you drive off, it pulls like a cart horse but when the revs get higher, the engine note changes from a diesel purr to what I can only describe as a lower pitch quiet clatter. It still pulls and sits at 60/70 no problem but when under load the engine note changes and this different engine note returns accompanied by grey smoke.

Does this sound injector related or the perhaps the throttle body is not moving properly.

Incidentally, since I changed the temperature gauge sensor, the JTD seems to run quite cold, could it be as simple as a sticking thermostat.

I will get to the bottom of it yet :)

2001 2.8 JTD

Thanks in advance

Neil,
The 2.8jtd came in six versions, but assuming that it is a 8043s, we can reduce that to two for practical purposes.
As you mention a throttle body, that suggests a version with EGR, but please confirm, as the version like mine, without EGR was made until 2006.

It was only after hours of reading I came up with that thought. You are probably right. Could it be a 8140.43S where the engine is an Iveco for 2000/2001 as mine is on a 51 plate

Neil,
The 2.8jtd came in six versions, but assuming that it is a 8043s we can reduce that to two for practical purposes.
As you mention a throttle body, that suggests a version with EGR, but please confirm, as the version like mine, without EGR was made until 2006.
Sorry that was a failure to spot a typing/memory error at a late hour. Please read 8140.43s.

It was only after hours of reading I came up with that thought. You are probably right. Could it be a 8140.43S where the engine is an Iveco for 2000/2001 as mine is on a 51 plate
Yes, but is it with or without EGR? An engine fitted with EGR will have a mass air flow sensor or debimeter, fitter close to the air filter outlet.

If its got one I cannot find it so I will assume it doesnt :)
No debimeter means no EGR and throttle body. The boost pressure is only limited to a maximum value via the wastegate. Very simply stated, the manifold pressure/temperature sensor inputs to the ECU which then controls the amount of fuel injected according to accelerator position, and the internal map of the ECU.

Grey smoke is usually a sign of unburnt fuel, particularly with a cold engine, but this does not seem to match the symptoms.

Is it possible that the smoke has a bluish tinge, which is caused by burning engine oil? If the engine is burning significant quantities of oil, the oil consumption should be visible on the dipstick.

Back