Technical Non starting x244 2.8jtd 2005

Currently reading:
Technical Non starting x244 2.8jtd 2005

Wanderlost

Hi, used this website nearly daily for troubleshooting my van and now need some advice pleez.

X244 2.8JTD 2005
Turns over but does not start even with easy start(AA guy tried).

No previous issues, I replaced the fuel filter a month ago and van ran for 10 mins no issues. Didn't start van for 2 weeks and now this permanent fault. Perhaps blocked High pressure pump with debris?

Spent 2 days trying to find if it was the immobiliser and now think it does not use it/ been deleted in the ECU. - never seen the yellow code icon ever. Tried the key without it's transponder and still did not see the code icon.

Key to 1st position starts the tank fuel filter and I can hear fuel running through the return pipes and back to the tank.
Red injector alarm light comes on.
OBD(tried 2) they say 1 fault stored but both allow it to be erased. So alarms before cranking

I thought it might be an injector but non were passing(non returning out the top relief). As so much fuel was returning to the tank it maybe a pressure sensor. So blocked the return flow which pushed fuel out of the filter seal. Not my best thinking! But learning.

Is this flow of diesel back to the tank is normal?? It's very noticeable and splashing back into the tank. I guess so if there is no pressure regulation to stop the tank pump which appears to be timed.

Tomoz I will check the filter heater and temp sensor.

From previous posts I do have 12v on the plug going to the high pressure solenoid and about 1.5 volts when the plug is plugged back in.

There is a small black box where all the fuel returns come to before heading back to the tank. Very difficult to reach and check which part Is retuning the fuel.

Thanks Chris

Given that the engine will not fire with "Easy Start" and nothing out of the exhaust, what is the condition of the air filter? Alternatively is the exhaust blocked?

As there appears to be reoccuring fault codes, I can only suggest that they should be read, the results of this may point to the cause.

Given that the engine will not fire with "Easy Start" and nothing out of the exhaust, what is the condition of the air filter? Alternatively is the exhaust blocked?

As there appears to be reoccuring fault codes, I can only suggest that they should be read, the results of this may point to the cause.
Almost the old banana wedged in the exhaust situation! Must be something serious for it not to try with easy start

Seen easystart used wrong many times so to be clear, get someone to spray the easy start in to the air intake constantly while you crank the engine if it doesnt try to fire up something is seriously wrong as previously said.

Thanks for replies. Look like one for the big boys.

Just tried a 3rd OBD they all see a code can't read it BUT will erase it.
Exhaust blowing air. Main fault seems to be before cranking, so will get a diagnostic done.

On easy start with the AA guy we cranked for several times up to 1 minute each time whilst easy start pushed into air intake near filter. On easy start it would fire and bang and run on but not go over to self running without stater motor.

Gonna find a mechanic and I will update this post, cheers

Last edited:
MH was fine no issues ever, I left van sitting for 2 weeks and this fault has not changed.

I changed the fuel filter a month before and ran for 10 mins without issue.

It definitely seems to be a fault on the first position on the key, injector heater light goes on and off as it should. And I have realised the immobiliser circuit is not used as I have never seen the key code symbol. I took transponder out of key to see if I could get the symbol to appear.
Guess ECU has had it deleted.

Thanks for replies. Look like one for the big boys.

Just tried a 3rd OBD they all see a code can't read it BUT will erase it.
Exhaust blowing air. Main fault seems to be before cranking, so will get a diagnostic done.

On easy start with the AA guy we cranked for several times up to 1 minute each time whilst easy start pushed into air intake near filter. On easy start it would fire and bang and run on but not go over to self running without stater motor.

Gonna find a mechanic and I will update this post, cheers
Well at least it rules out a major mechanical failure if it bangs and tries to run on easy start, I thought from what you were saying it wasn’t even trying so that’s good

You need to use a code reader which "speaks fluent Fiat". Software such as Multiecuscan running on a windows computer ifor example.

The statement that it fired with "Easy Start" was npot included in your original post. This lack of full info has not helped diagnosis.. However properly reading the fault code will help, as it should give an indication that as to why the ECU is not allowing injection to occur.

I would not discount the immobiliser completely. The failure of the LED to illuminate could be due to a wiring fault. However key code failure is frequently intermittent, prior to complete failure..

bad crank or cam senzor ? rather crankshaft senzor.
It could be either crankshaft, or camchaft sensor. Without the crankshaft sensor, the ECU will not know angular position of the crankshaft., also no rpm information. Without the camshaft sensor, the ECU will be unable to determine the stroke, and unable to inject fuel.

I have downloaded the(free) fiat multiscan software and will try next week. Then perhaps subscribe if needed.

Also try the 3mm shim that I've seen on forums for the top of engine sensor reading the camshaft wheel IF unsuccessful with the software.

Thanks again guys for all the advice hopefully I can pull out the error code to move on with this.

I would like to keep on top of the engine as it's so basic(so I thought).

As above I don't want to throw money at unnecessary parts to guess the fault away. I will as suggested work at getting the fault code to move on :)

I have downloaded the(free) fiat multiscan software and will try next week. Then perhaps subscribe if needed.

Also try the 3mm shim that I've seen on forums for the top of engine sensor reading the camshaft wheel IF unsuccessful with the software.

Thanks again guys for all the advice hopefully I can pull out the error code to move on with this.

I would like to keep on top of the engine as it's so basic(so I thought).

As above I don't want to throw money at unnecessary parts to guess the fault away. I will as suggested work at getting the fault code to move on :)

You must have the correct ELM or other cable

If there other specific interfaces known to work please advise me or add to above thread, other reccomendations need not just the 2 i use.

Pokud je známo, že fungují další specifická rozhraní, prosím poraďte mi nebo přidejte do výše uvedeného vlákna, další doporučení nemusí používat pouze 2 i.

Delphi

Back