Technical Jump starting 2004 2.8jtd Ducato.

Currently reading:
Technical Jump starting 2004 2.8jtd Ducato.

Masman

I am trying to locate the jump start points under the bonnet. I am going to purchase a battery booster in case of flat battery. Any help would be appreciated.

There are no specific jump start points on the x244 model, which your vehicle will be.

For the positive, you could attach to the nut on M6 terminal clamping bolt at the rear of the battery, or alternatively remove the battery fuseboard cover, and clip onto the then exposed bare metal that the thick starter motor cable connects to. or cable clamping bolt.

For the negative, I suggest an engine lifting lug.

If the vehicle is a MH, then best to disconnect the MH habitation connection before jump starting. This is because the split charge relay could become energised when the engine starts. This would allow excessive currents to flow from a charged habitation battery, possibly cause wiring or other damage. In theory fusing should prevent this, but will it? Damage has been reported on other forums.

For illustration, my Varta H3 starter battery has a CCA rating of 830A. My two habitation batteries, which are not leisure batteries, but of dual pupose design, have CCA ratings of 1000A each. I am thinking of upgrading their individual maxi blade fuses to something with higher rupturing capacity.

Thanks for the prompt reply . Yes it is a motorhome. I think it's time for a new starter battery.Still on original battery. Had the van from new 2004.

There are no specific jump start points on the x244 model, which your vehicle will be.

For the positive, you could attach to the nut on M6 terminal clamping bolt at the rear of the battery, or alternatively remove the battery fuseboard cover, and clip onto the then exposed bare metal that the thick starter motor cable connects to. or cable clamping bolt.

If the vehicle is a MH, then best to disconnect the MH habitation connection before jump starting. This is because the split charge relay could become energised when the engine starts. This would allow excessive currents to flow from a charged habitation battery, possibly cause wiring or other damage. In theory fusing should prevent this, but will it? Damage has been reported on other forums.

For illustration, my Varta H3 starter battery has a CCA rating of 830A. My two habitation batteries, which are not leisure batteries, but of dual pupose design, have CCA ratings of 1000A each. I am thinking of upgrading their individual maxi blade fuses to something with higher rupturing

For illustration, my Varta H3 starter battery has a CCA rating of 830A. My two habitation batteries, which are not leisure batteries, but of dual pupose design, have CCA ratings of 1000A each. I am thinking of upgrading their individual maxi blade fuses to something with higher rupturing capacity.

Thanks for prompt response. I think it's time to invest in a new starter battery. This one has been on since 2004 when I bought the motorhome new.

My 2,8jtd dates from 2006. I changed the starter battery at 11 years old as a precaution. It lasted perhaps another year on float charge in the garage. My current feeling is to change a 10 years, but I have read of them being changed much more frequently. For a recent discussion on suitable starter batteries see this Out and About Live (OAL) thread.

Wow , the best i can get out of a Exide battery is around 2 yrs [ 4 year warranty ] and then the fun started as i bought it in the UK when home and tried to claim with the supplier and he did not want to know as i,m in Spain ...so much for a multinational manufacturer ..!

Back