Technical Gearbox Impulse Generator 2004 Fiat Ducato

Currently reading:
Technical Gearbox Impulse Generator 2004 Fiat Ducato

MotorrollerM

Hi there,
We have a 2004 Autoroller 15 Fiat Ducato 2 litre turbo diesel.
The speedometer started to go haywire, up and down, and then stopped.
The garage has identified it needing a new gearbox impulse generator.
Fiat do not have this and the garage told me to see if I could find one.
I have done a search without success so far.
I wonder if anyone can might know where to get one?
Many thanks
Martin

Hi there,
We have a 2004 Autoroller 15 Fiat Ducato 2 litre turbo diesel.
The speedometer started to go haywire, up and down, and then stopped.
The garage has identified it needing a new gearbox impulse generator.
Fiat do not have this and the garage told me to see if I could find one.
I have done a search without success so far.
I wonder if anyone can might know where to get one?
Many thanks
Martin
eBay
Example

You missed supplying the most important info, the model number, so I have had to assume x244

Attachments

• Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
It does not have a model number on the V5C.
Just diesel 2000cc. registration date 11 08 2004
Would the VIN number help?
Thanks

Thanks too for the photo showing the speed sensor
The mechanic said it was the piece before the green speed sensor.
Does that help?

Sorry rather busy at time of initial reply.

Welcomre to the forum.

Model is first three numbers of VIN. Yours will have the form ZFA244..... hence x244 model from 2002 to 2006.

Sometimes, due to conversion, and sales delays vehicle can be of an earlier model than the registration date would suggest.

The "green speed sensor" does not convey anything to me. Photo is of my own 2006 x244 2.8jtd.

Unless you have 16" wheels, you just need speed sensor for x244. Peugeot and Citroen versions are same vehicle, and parts from their dealers are cheaper than Fiat. If using eBay check for location of part and delivery time. Many chinese vendors hold stocks in UK. Those sold as OEM parts possibly from China anyway.

Please note that fixing bolt is 7mm dia (M7), which is not a common size. If not DIY, then warn mechanic not to lose it!

Many thanks for your replies and apologies for lateness of response.
Didn't know the first three numbers of the VIN are the model number - thanks.
Unfortunately It isn't the green speed sensor, it is the impulse generator that I think maybe is connected to the speed sensor.

Many thanks for your replies and apologies for lateness of response.
Didn't know the first three numbers of the VIN are the model number - thanks.
Unfortunately It isn't the green speed sensor, it is the impulse generator that I think maybe is connected to the speed sensor.
I am sorry, but I do not appreciate any difference, and I supect neither do you. I am time constrained at the moment, but see below. A picture should be included, but I may have to create a pdf file to accommodate that. Perhaps later in the day.

Perhaps it is the engine rpm sensor that you are seeking???

eLearn - Contents

VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR​

Function​

The sensor provides the engine management unit with information on vehicle speed. According to the information received, the engine control unit:

• calculates vehicle speed (vehicle at a standstill or moving);
  • determines the gear ratio engaged;
  • improves idle speed with the vehicle in motion.

Description​

The sensor is installed on the gearbox. It is Hall effect type and similar in design to the engine timing sensor (see).

Attached is the available info relating to the x244 speed sensor, in pdf, and including the line drawing.

Attachments

• 2.0jtd Speed Sensor.pdf
    187.4 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for this. Yes I don't know! Just mainly because of the three electrical connectors.
The mechanic mentioned that it had three female electrical connectors.
Does this item have them?
Also attached is a diagram from eurocarcare.net who think it might be the item marked 1.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• l34LH3HO20DaLYb5.png
    l34LH3HO20DaLYb5.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for this. Yes I don't know! Just mainly because of the three electrical connectors.
The mechanic mentioned that it had three female electrical connectors.
Does this item have them?
Also attached is a diagram from eurocarcare.net who think it might be the item marked 1.
Thanks again.
The diagram attached to post #11 above shows the engine without gearbox. A road speed sensor must be operated via the gearbox output, as for the same engine speed, road speed will differ according to the gear ratio selected. The original problem was an erratic speedometer. The most probable cause is the speed sensor mounted on the gearbox. This sensor generates impulses which are fed to the ECU, and instrument panel. The instrument panel uses these impulses to create the analogue speed indication, via electronics which drive a stepping motor. The odometer is advanced by the same pulses.

I would expect the sensor to have male pins, rather than female sockets, but I have never had cause to disconnect and inspect the connector.

Many thanks. I will pass this on to the mechanic who did mention that this diagram was of the engine without the gearbox.
He mentioned that the impulse generator had female connectors. He said that he wanted to put in a new one of these (which he asked me to source) before turning to the speed sensor.
Thanks again.

Many thanks. I will pass this on to the mechanic who did mention that this diagram was of the engine without the gearbox.
He mentioned that the impulse generator had female connectors. He said that he wanted to put in a new one of these (which he asked me to source) before turning to the speed sensor.
Thanks again.
That sounds like false information to me. I could use a more rustic expression.
I have assumed as stated earlier, that your vehicle is an x244 model, See post #7 above. The earlier x230 had a mechanical drives to both the rpm and speedometer. Impulse generators were added to communicate with the electronic engine controls introduced in 2001. The x244 was introduced in 2002, but due to conversion and sales delays the are some x230 models with later registration.

I am attaching wiring diagram for relevant section of x244 instrument panel. You should be able to trace the connection from the speed sensor at the bottom to the instrument panel.

Attachments

• eLearn E4010-2 Instrument Panel.pdf
    133.2 KB · Views: 17
Thank you again! Yes it is a x244 model.
I appreciate all the information and diagrams. I can see the speed sensor and am wondering where is the impulse generator in the diagram? Is it the KO36 as there is a connection from that to E5030 and then to the speed sensor.

Thank you again! Yes it is a x244 model.
I appreciate all the information and diagrams. I can see the speed sensor and am wondering where is the impulse generator in the diagram? Is it the KO36 as there is a connection from that to E5030 and then to the speed sensor.
The speed sensor is the impulse generator, hence my remarks at the start of post 14. Also the square wave (impulse) icon for the sensor K084 on diagram E4010-2 attached to post #14, indicates a pulse output.

I am inclined to wonder whether your mechanic has confused your x244, with the earlier x230.

The speed sensor is the impulse generator, hence my remarks at the start of post 14. Also the square wave (impulse) icon for the sensor K084 on diagram E4010-2 attached to post #14, indicates a pulse output.

I am inclined to wonder whether your mechanic has confused your x244, with the earlier x230.
Thanks again.
I will go back to the mechanic with this and see what he says.

I crawled under the motorhome and saw the sensor which is exactly the same as the one in the post from Hugh Jampton from Coastal Motorhomes.
I had found the same sensor at https://www.eurocarcare.net/gearbox-parts/ecc616083eu-speed-sensor.html and at a much cheaper price. Also useful information about fitting the part. So I printed this out and took it to the mechanic and he said immediately this was the part needed!!!!! So I have ordered it. I don't know what that was all about with his description 'impulse generator' but it led to a wild goose chase!
So thank you everyone for your input and patience and hopefully the issue is solved.
Will report back once the part is fitted.

I crawled under the motorhome and saw the sensor which is exactly the same as the one in the post from Hugh Jampton from Coastal Motorhomes.
I had found the same sensor at https://www.eurocarcare.net/gearbox-parts/ecc616083eu-speed-sensor.html and at a much cheaper price. Also useful information about fitting the part. So I printed this out and took it to the mechanic and he said immediately this was the part needed!!!!! So I have ordered it. I don't know what that was all about with his description 'impulse generator' but it led to a wild goose chase!
So thank you everyone for your input and patience and hopefully the issue is solved.
Will report back once the part is fitted.
At least you are now more knowledgeable in that area.

Back