General Poor mans Stratos...

Currently reading:
General Poor mans Stratos...

Thanks for the links Purf, great write up and the car looks great!

Spent the day stripping paint out the engine bay and using body filler to hide the massive pitting from surface rust in there (Treated with rust treatment too so all is good!)

Found another huge rust hole in the rear of the passenger side sill so I'm not looking forward to tackling that. Side note: is it possible to run flexible brake lines from the junction in the engine bay instead of rigid lines to the wheel arches then flexi? It's just the rust each side has eaten out the mounting points for the old rigid-flexi connector.

I really need to finish this bodywork stuff and get back onto the mechanicals and that stuff, much more fun!

So, nothing new I guess but when was a car restoration a quick process??

Attachments

• DSC_1412.JPG
    DSC_1412.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1417.JPG
    DSC_1417.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 22
  • DSC_1413.JPG
    DSC_1413.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
Good work saving that car.

I think flexi lines must be clear of any rigid things that might rub through the rubber. Copper is pretty straightforward to install and will last forever.

Well I'll look into that then.

Ordered some decent paint stripper so I'm hoping that will speed this job up a bit.

Had another look at the engine block and I'm wondering if there's a way to get out the accumulated rust and stuff in there? Doesn't look healthy.

Attachments

• DSC_1420.JPG
    DSC_1420.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1419.JPG
    DSC_1419.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC_1418.JPG
    DSC_1418.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 21
I'm not sure what the best method is when it's disassembled. Perhaps steam or chemical cleaning or something (expensive option).

If it had leaks it's probably been run without sufficient anti freeze which makes it look worse.

It might look better once its been running and flushed a couple of times. People on the owners club have suggested putting a dishwasher tablet into the coolant to help flush the system. That's the cheap option.

Not much to say really. I've got the paint stripper, it's bloody good stuff! So far done the front boot area and underside of the bonnet and the paint just bubbles right off. Hopefully I'll be able to get out and out some more on this evening.

Lapped in the new intake valves last night and they're all seated good, so another small job off the list.

Been thinking about the exhaust a bit as I absolutely hate the pipe on the original silencer. Is there a good place to get a decent aftermarket silencer or am I stuck with it?

Yes a few exhausts are available but they are not cheap. See eBay, eurosport or go custom

Keep it up. I pulled some substandard repairs off the rear valence of my car last night. Not a pretty sight!

Sorry Purf, I'm terrible with these updates!

Not much to say really since last time, I've built the valve train on the cylinder head with the new intake valves. They've all lapped in very well.

Sanding still killing me, so no change there!

Got a manifold for the DCOEs (I know I said I wouldn't... But I did ;-)) Does anyone know what kind of jets will be needed?

I've got another car in at the moment for someone else, so I'm going to get that done and hopefully get some decent money to put on the Fiat.

I'll have a look, I've read a few of their threads and it all seems to be useful.

How's your X getting along?

Iv got a few jobs done and exposed some rust on the rear valence and the tips of the rear wings thanks to a botched past repair...

Yeah me likewise - Half the rear valence has rotted through...

The channels between the front wings and the boot have also rotted badly so that they're no longer attached (good job hiding it with fibreglass...) Would it be possible to weld new steel flat over the top or are those channels there for a reason?

Yeah that's the one, thanks!

Well I've ordered parts for the engine so I'm hoping to get that built up when they've arrived and run it on a stand, just while the body is in such a state. Should be good to try out these new carbs and get some decent pictures!

Hi all

Work has been pretty slow still, though the other car I've been working on is going back for a couple months this week so I'll be able to paint and weld the little X.

In the mean time I've found a manifold for the DCOEs and started to rebuild the engine. This hit a rock pretty soon as I broke a ring...

I'm going to start this rad install soon along with replacing most of the body panels.

I think there's an autojumble tomorrow at Rufforth? Anyone know anything about it? Thought I'd go along and see if I can find another carb and maybe some other bits.

Attachments

• DSC_1591.JPG
    DSC_1591.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC_1592.JPG
    DSC_1592.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_1593.JPG
    DSC_1593.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • DSC_1594.JPG
    DSC_1594.JPG