Pale_green_4x4_Panda.jpg

Panda (Classic) Pale green Classic Panda 4x4 (1986).

Introduction

Just acquired this lovely 4x4. :)

Traded in by Gavin (Palio) against the project Panda I'm currently building for him. Gavin bought it back in February from Dave (Aquamarine) but has not used it since. Fortunately for me Gavin stored it at a friends house many miles from his own so didn't form an attachment to it.

Dave had done quite a bit of work to it before selling it on to Gavin, and as a result it's in lovely condition ( ignoring paintwork issues here :p ), even has new doors. Dave, perhaps you could fill in more details for us?

This is my only pic so far but will add more asap........

I really like the pale green colour so will be keeping this original but improve the finish in places. This will be an easy task as Dave has done a great job removing what little rust was there. As far as I can tell the doors and back of the inner sills were the only rusty areas on an otherwise solid and straight Panda. This is impressive given it's an early Mk2 (1986).

Mileage is a very low 58,000, this is reflected in the condition of the interior and mechanics. I haven't driven it yet but Gavin and Barbara have and they assure me it is a real pleasure, with a strong engine and a tight and quiet gearbox. :)

With the plans for Barbara's own Panda recently changing I find myself with some nice upgrades looking for a home. The beige Alfa interior would look stunning with the green paintwork so I'm very tempted to fit it. Then there's wheels. I have half a dozen options here, including leaving the current ones on, so think I will just have to try them all and see what looks best. Other than that the rest will stay as it is.

It looks like we'll be bringing it to the Thoresby meet rather than put Barbara's 4x4 back together with it's original parts only to take it all apart again when we get back.
Reactions: Vaam
Had a chance to look at a couple of jobs on this one today.

The indicators wouldn't self cancel so I whipped the steering wheel off to have a look. I thought it would be something simple like the little pin on the self cancelling ring of the switch not locating in the hole on the back of the steering wheel, but no, turned out to be a broken component on the switch. It's the white piece in the pic........

Fortunately I had a spare from the old Sisley so fitted it, the pic is of the good one.

The windscreen washers now work too so there must have been another fault in the old switch assy. :)

I also adjusted the clutch, it has a new cable so must have settled in a little since it was fitted.

Next was to replace the short vacuum pipe which operates the small diaphragm on the back of the carb. The old one was split but it's now replaced with a silicone one.

The change in plans for Barbara's interior also mean I'll be using different wheels too, all will become clear in the near future. So, I thought I would try the wheels and tyres that were originally meant for B's 4x4 on this one..........

I like the look of them so will keep them on for a while, but they would add £400 to the selling price so the originals will be re-fitted when it goes. They really update the look of it, some will like that but I would imagine that most prefer the older look the originals give.

I'll admit that i don't like alloys much but if i could find a set of them real cheap i would use them. they are not that bad and match the car rather well.

i am guessing that the tyres are slightly wider than standard steel rims?
hmm..

also the indicator and wiper stalk assembly is the same as a cinqs. (when i had both cars i did a lot of comparing components.)

Last edited:
Oslo was pressed into service this weekend. A guy came up to me at the NEC and said he had a load of 4x4 spares left over from when his Wife ran one years ago, was I interested for a token sum. Well the 180 mile trip to pick them up was going to cost a fair bit so I made an offer and he happily accepted.

So this weekend we went to deepest Shropshire to pick the treasure :p up.

On the Saturday we went via Ironbridge, home of the industrial revolution. I had no idea how interesting this area is, shall definitely pay a longer visit some time.

I do have a few pics from the weekend but no time to post atm.

(y) Excellent to hear. When I first got Oslo I picked him up from Gloucestershire, which meant a trip back through Shropshire and Ironbridge. He'll have felt at home (though hopefully running better now than on that trip - had various air leaks around the carb, hopefully the one you've just sorted is the last!).

Paint code is 626 I think.]

David

Oslo was pressed into service this weekend. A guy came up to me at the NEC and said he had a load of 4x4 spares left over from when his Wife ran one years ago, was I interested for a token sum. Well the 180 mile trip to pick them up was going to cost a fair bit so I made an offer and he happily accepted.

So this weekend we went to deepest Shropshire to pick the treasure :p up.

On the Saturday we went via Ironbridge, home of the industrial revolution. I had no idea how interesting this area is, shall definitely pay a longer visit some time.

I do have a few pics from the weekend but no time to post atm.

(y) Excellent to hear. When I first got Oslo I picked him up from Gloucestershire, which meant a trip back through Shropshire and Ironbridge. He'll have felt at home (though hopefully running better now than on that trip - had various air leaks around the carb, hopefully the one you've just sorted is the last!).

Paint code is 626 I think.]

David

One of the reasons we used Oslo was that it drives so nicely. Plus, we wanted to go in a 4x4 in case the weather turned against us, despite thinking we may not fit all the parts in one.
Also, the other two 4x4 choices were the Sisley or Barbara's, neither of which would I like to fill with rusty cobweb covered treasure. Lots of pieces of old carpet and removal of the back seat ensured that Oslo survived the trip unscathed.

This was in the car park at the Ironbridge Gorge museum, note the normal ride height, nothing collected yet.

The Iron bridge at Ironbridge. Wonder what the place was called before it was built. :confused:

Ok we've got the stuff. In the back is a back axle, a gearbox, propshaft, set of four wheels with tyres, steering rack, front and rear bumpers, three headlights, a front grille, one piece of side trim, two boxes of assorted small items, and an overnight bag. We did get it all in, just!

On the way home we went up as high as we could in order to appreciate the view......

Finally, drove across another ridge on a single track road, rocks above us on my side, this was on Barbara's side, little or no barrier :D........

Last edited:
Having had a rear axle in the back of my selecta recently and realising just how big they are when they're inside the car rather than outside I'm amazed you got everything else in! Great photos of the road trip (y) looks amazing, will have to make a trip there one day
That is one beautiful colour for a panda

Last edited:
Discovered last week that the mot had ran out on Oslo so he went in today.

:(

Not too bad really, a bulb, headlamp aim (which they'll do for me foc during the re-test), a bottom ball joint, and a little rust hole on the front inner wing.

I'm going to try and get it all done tomorrow then re-test on Wednesday. I would kick myself if we suddenly had snow and I didn't have it to drive ;).

I know I've got the Sisley and Barbara's 4x4 but they're a little more precious :eek:. In fact the blue one is too good, or at least it will be when finished, for Barbara to use as a daily driver so Oslo has now become Barbara's 4x4 instead. This is only as long as I don't put right the paintwork, coz then Oslo would be too good for Barbara to use. Her words not mine. :p

whats up with the ball joint, has it actually gone loose with play in or just the "dust cover" split?

Yes it is just a split dust cover, they never used to fail just for that but with the recent rule update they now have to.

I had a few pairs of ball joint carriers machined to give a little negative camber so will use this as an excuse to fit a couple to Oslo. I have a couple of new ball joints that I can fit to Oslo's old carriers, this will then give me a pair of original spec for stock.

Sorted the work for the mot today :).

N/S repeater was just a poor connection on the bulb.
Although they're going to set the headlamp aim for me during the re-test I thought I'd better check that this was all that was needed. Found one of the bulbs to be wrong, it is a halogen but with the three pronged base instead of the round base type, so it wasn't locating properly. I ordered a new pair and will fit them in the morning before I go for re-test.

The balljoints were a straightforward swap but while I was at it I found that the disc backplates were getting pretty ropey, so I wire brushed them, painted them with rust converter, then a quick spray of satin black. They weren't good enough to take to show condition but they should last longer now, at least until I can find some better ones.
This is result of the modified balljoint carrier........

Not very clear I know, will try and get another pic that shows more accurately the new angle of the front wheels. All I can say for now is that they look dead upright compared to having 1'-2' of positive camber before.

While I was under the front arches I also repaired the rust. I had patched the n/s shortly after getting Oslo but hadn't finished it off, so this was the first job........

I smoothed off the weld.......

Then gave it a coat of zinc primer.........

Then a couple of coats of oslo grey, just brushed on. Finished off by coating the whole area, and inside the box section, with cavity wax.

Then on to the o/s which had failed the mot............

Fingers crossed and I should have a new mot this time tomorrow :).

Back