General Oil Pressure Warning

Currently reading:
General Oil Pressure Warning

I checked the oil today whilst engine was warm and there is nothing on dipstick, but i only topped up about a week after i serviced it i believe towards the end of the summer.

Does this mean you didn't check your oil from end of Summer until when you posted this message in December?
I check my oil level every week, 2 weeks tops, I'd advise anyone else to do the same
Oil consumption isn't a time factor it's to do with mileage covered, miles per litre etc so how many miles are you doing and how much oil are you putting in?

Your oil pressure warning is most likely because the level of oil in the sump is too low and the oil pump is getting starved of oil. Could be expensive mistake if you continue to let it happen

Yeah i didnt top up until December and i have probablay done close to 2000 miles i would imagine since then but the car shouldnt be drinking this much if you compare it to say any of my other past cars or friends or family who would only do oil once a year at most.
Also the problem didnt occur for the year that i had the car before the service in the Summer so there must be a reason why the Oil pressure sensor is activating the warning or i am using a hell of a lot more oil. I can keep toping up every 5 minutes but that isnt the main rout of the cause In my uneducated opinion.

As Decks has pointed out, poor maintenance (and letting your engine become almost starved of oil is certainly poor maintenance :() is a doorway to exposing your engine to ever higher degrees of risk.

Combine this with a tendency to maintain high revs and you have a recipe for disaster. It's posible the first time this happened that an oil control ring failed, due to stress, which in turn increased oil consumption, which in turn exposes the engine to even greater risk (since you don't bother to check the oil).

High oil consumption itself will do no harm to an engine but running out of the stuff most certainly will :(

Well the level of oil has only been as low as around 3L at its lowest point and was then topped up with around just over a L i havnt had chance to check again yet but when i did the service in the summer plenty of oil came out and it wasnt all that grimey to i cant see how you can say that.
Could it be the Halfords oil filter i have had a look underneath and i have no leaks.
Also could an electrical problem cause this behaviour as i am running about 3.5 KW of additional power on the standard charging system but i have only let it drop below critical voltage once (Yes i know that one was stupid)

Also could an electrical problem cause this behaviour as i am running about 3.5 KW of additional power on the standard charging system but i have only let it drop below critical voltage once (Yes i know that one was stupid)

Hehe. I remember the Stroker (especially 'Dr. Deep' 18") from my "early" years of stereo builds. They consume some watts.

Last edited:
Yeah im putting 3000 through it i just havnt been able to see what she can really do yet. As i said i have the standard charging system and im still running it in as it has just had a recone. I might put the old cone in and just and just whack the settings up. Box is tuned to 50hz though ATM (n)

my warnings were all low oil level, to be on the safe side monitor it, check the oil every weekend, whats it take to take the dipstick out and put it back in:confused:

better than a new engine, and as you let go with low oil probably for alot miles by you previous posts then more than likely a seal has failed, and you will now continue to have higer levels of oil use than normal.

whatever you do, never own a 2.4 and continue to never check the oil, you'll blow your engine up in a week(y)

CHECK THE OIL RELIGIOUSLY

Back