Technical Oh Sh!t

Currently reading:
Technical Oh Sh!t

Mayatt

White Grande Sporting
how do,

long story, tried fitting some 15mm spacers on front wheels the bolts were too long then caught and bent when tried spinning the wheel. as I took the bolt out i ruined the thread inside the hub, got the longer bolts out of the way. not going to use the spacers anymore now, so tried to put my old bolts in and old wheels on and couldn't get the bolts all the way in, tried to look in the hub to check the thread and thats ruined, basically im now trying to work out whether i need a new hub, or its just my brake disc i need to replace? cars un driveable is parked on the drive with just 2 bolts holding the wheel on (the other 2 holes are mashed) it looks like the wheel bolts straight onto the disc or a drive flange, or bearing flange type bit?

any help appreciated as need the car going again asap!

and if anyone has a spare set of fiat wheel bolts they'd sell to me pm :)

cheers,

So... basically you have cross threaded two of the threads??? They should just be able to be re tapped.... but a new hub would cost a few quid, and im pretty sure the hub dont come with the bearing and flange as the threads are the flange :(

no i agree thats why ive stopped for the day til i can get my bro's tap and dies stuff, the thread really isnt that bad and if i used a bit more force to get the bolts in they would just dont want to wreck it anymore than i already have, will see how happy i am with retapping tomorrow if not then it is new hub time, but is it just the hub? is only the outer part/nearest the wheel of the hole thats affected the rest looks reasonably healthy.

thanks for quick replies guys!

its ****ty bolts from ebay! that are 2mm too long! i'll get a pic at some point see how mashed it is! and the fact im southern only means i took it off straight away, if i was a nothern monkey i would have heard the clunk and gone 'ay f#ck et' and driven on with it! then gone home and had sex with my sister!

its ****ty bolts from ebay! that are 2mm too long! i'll get a pic at some point see how mashed it is! and the fact im southern only means i took it off straight away, if i was a nothern monkey i would have heard the clunk and gone 'ay f#ck et' and driven on with it! then gone home and had sex with my sister!

That reply deserves a medal :worship:

why can I see this thread getting edited/closed:chin:
:(

aww come on its southern fairies and northern monkeys. always has been and depending on whether your southern or nothern decides who you refer to as in-breds. plus jk is obviously fed up as everyone would be so its understandable he might be a bit peed off and it is also expected that people will take the mick out of his misfortune.

i dont think it needs closing i just think everyone needs to calm down.

Im northern and thats mostly the way Id deal with it, Id have to have a look at your sis first though :p

You need to replace the hub/flange which when removed from the steering knuckle will destroy the wheel bearing. New wheel bearing and hub are fitted with a press, the same way they are removed. Imo retapping the threads will not be safe, maybe on other parts but not to hold your wheels on. BE SAFE NOT SORRY ;)

@ mattyk, PMSL!!

anyway, don't say i didn't warn anyone on here about the bolts you get with ebay spacers!! the OP should have searched spacers on this site and checked out the advice given. however, I've done this before as well, and its a learning curve so pop up the 200-300 to get a new hub and flange fitted!!:(

Back