2015-12-23 19.46.24.jpg

Panda (Classic) Never Say No To Panda (Conservation Project)

Introduction

Hi everyone, I'm a Newbie to the Forum and a Newbie to the joys of owning a classic Panda 4x4 however, with the help of a few good friends we've bought a project and look forward to keeping regular update on this thread.

Looking forward to the coming weeks, months and years and the adventures that follow .....

First image of what is likely to be an exciting project early 2016 !
Update on another day and another set of jobs ticked off the list:

Discs, pads, callipers and fresh fluid fitted.
Cambelt checked and re-tensioned, water pump also looks recent and is free of play
Cracked rear lens swapped
Faulty alternator changed for good one
Leaky cam cover gasket replaced
Coolant drained, flushed through and renewed
Air filter renewed fuel filter fitted and carb jets blown through.

Threw some Gunk around the engine bay too but as the jobs get ticked off, new ones are revealed and are added on. -Its at that stage where I can't tell if it will all come together very quickly or stretch out for much longer.

We will see..

Spent an hour today, poking and wire brushing to explore the extent of the corrosion in the sills and wings.. More than I hoped for but less than usual - I'd say.

So that's good. Which of our cars will survive long term? - is what's going through my mind. And these years are critical while they're low value and needy of costly maintenance.

So the choice of a simple welded join or a full restoration of the original panels faces us, but which is the long term best answer at this time for this car?

I know which route I would take. A proper job now will mean that sill should not need any more work for a long while, whereas a patch up job will mean you will back in the same position in a few years time, only doing it right then will be even more work as the rot will have gone further and you have the previous repairs to contend with.

but which is the long term best answer at this time for this car?

Exactly!
I agree with Freddy.

Rear and front end of inner sill ( four panel structure) are normally tin of worms and are like nest of rust.
Full sill pattern parts is really good value for the end results and how much time you're saving by not to jigsaw it. Time is the only question, your welding skills will be one lever higher after that job.

Ps. looking few years in future, same job will be probably required by Snatch panda, it is much better to learn on someone else car if you know what I mean.

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_28795.JPG

IMG_29553.JPG

Spent an hour today, poking and wire brushing to explore the extent of the corrosion in the sills and wings.. More than I hoped for but less than usual - I'd say.

So that's good. Which of our cars will survive long term? - is what's going through my mind. And these years are critical while they're low value and needy of costly maintenance.

So the choice of a simple welded join or a full restoration of the original panels faces us, but which is the long term best answer at this time for this car?

Is it supposed to look like that ?!

Bless our Danish cousins for their pastry, pig bits and Panda panels - which arrived today.

Talking to Sean last weekend about plans for his car and I was wondering if we have any Panda HF Integrales like this in the UK?

Martini livery is classic and works well on the two Giugiaro shapes but too obvious..?Maybe Stratos Alitalia instead? no, too much.

Any thoughts?

Also - wanted, good rust free bonnet (preferably white..).

Last edited:
Back