2007_0217Image0015.JPG

Cinquecento My New Cinq: The First VanAaken Turbo.

Introduction

Well i thought id do a proper Members Motors post on my latest Cinq, Cinq turbo with a bit of background history and show progress as we go..

Yes i know, i couldnt stay away long, sold my Abarth last month and always wanted a turbo, and this one has a good history with it, plus its a good little project!

Well i went to collect and it looked like this..
Tub_1.jpg

Tub_2.jpg

Was quite surprised when i turned up at the condition considering id only seen these pictures of it, and agreed the price from that..
2007_0217Image0016.JPG

2007_0217Image0015.JPG

The car was vandalised whilst it was owned by Custard, then Urchin bought it midway through it being broken, then i bought it off him.. Paintwork not half as bad as i thought it would be, spent ages cleaning/cutting and waxing every nook and cranny, even the oil/grease in the boot etc so its gleaming yellow all over.

A bit of history behind the car: The first registered owner was Van Aaken themselves, hence the graphics, it was the first turbo cinq and was their development car, it was featured in AutoItalia magazine in 1997, Article was titled "Mighty Mouse" 110bhp quoted with a full review and comparison to a modified NA with 6speed etc (yellow version of my old cinq by the sounds of spec and abarth kit etc!).

The car came with most of the bits to get it back on the road, the engine bay was pretty dirty so we cleaned that up and got the autosol out so polished up all the metal bits like the oilcooler and re-routed some of the wires/hoses. It came with the original 14" KN Minators (minilite style) which were in the magazine article, we will be refurbing soon and getting them on, hoping to get the car ready for early spring/summer 08 but as one my insurance policies is due for renewal in October i may try and convince dad to give up a few more weekends, get a move on and get it done for then!

Craig
Re: My New Cinq: The First VanAaken Turbo

Have you got this book? would you mind scanning in the page for me?

Whiley, no mot as yet. although ive just paid for my insurance for my new car (vw jetta gti 16v) with any car insurance, so me and dad were chatting last night about him taking out insurance on the cinq, then i can drive it occasionally. The car never was going to be a daily, just a weekend/show car, and was aiming at late spring/sumer 08 but theres nothing left to do except some paintwork/detailing and mot, so it could be done in the next few months!

UPDATE: A bit more bling in the engine bay, polished strut brace fitted:
CInqEngine11.jpg

Started it up again yesterday and let it tick over for a while, then gave it a few low revs and the sound is awesome.

Onwards and upwards.

yes mate i have a copy but dont have a scanner :( i will try and get my dad to do it and email it me.

Some more history for the car! It was tested in a French Magazine..
Feb24215.jpg

Feb24216.jpg

Feb24217.jpg

Feb24218.jpg

Feb24219.jpg

Minators now fully rubbed down and stripped ready for paint repainting. Weller steelies are getting some tyres soon. Thinking of ideas for the back as its stripped, thinking of some trick ideas, we'll see! Abarth skirts will be fitted this week hopefully and new lowering suspension going on along with some other goodies i've been collecting for a while!

Bring on the Spring 08 when it wil lbe going for MOT!

Craig

Last edited:

It's actually ok, usually im all for stealth but this exhaust is really quiet, never driven it properly but when we've taken it round the block its nice and quiet, not like you'd expect!

here is the pic from the new book by Phil Ward great small fiats the plate has been blanked out but its defo the same car. anyone know which french mag it was in and when? even though i have sold the car i still would love to trace its history and then one day when Craig decides to sell her i can buy it back:D

Attachments

• 2007_1205Image0049.JPG
    2007_1205Image0049.JPG
    736.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 2007_1205Image0050.JPG
    2007_1205Image0050.JPG
    693.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2007_1205Image0051.JPG
    2007_1205Image0051.JPG
    735.3 KB · Views: 77

anything happening with it atm mate?

Haven't been on here in ages due to my other car taking up all my time. this is going to take priority in the next few weeks so it's ready for april/may. needs a little bit of work but nothing we can't handle.

Have got hold of smooth boot and smooth abarth rear apron but after buying i realise they're not what should be fitted.

Well, considering planned completion date was 31/3/2008 we're slightly behind schedule. Too many other projects on the go but this is now going to get my attention as I've gone sensible and bought an Audi A4 Quattro which I can't really modify as it's already gorgeous. This means weekends are just going to be spent on this.
So, The To-Do List:
Finish Minator's (ML's)
Finish Magnesium rally split rims
Fit Koni Suspension
General bits like subframes painted and looking mint
Custom carpeted install (not sound system ;)) in the back
Fit smooth abarth rear bumper
Fit abarth skirts
Fit smooth boot with abarth spoiler
Fit new front seats
Mop and wax it.

Right, to be totally honest I completely lost the urge to do this project but someone knocking on the door and asking my mum if they could take the car away to use for banger racing and then someone else asking if i wanted it scrapped has made me pull my finger out.

So, whilst on my travels through the net found these and bought them:
7beb_1.jpg

7fc4_1.jpg

:devil: 165/50/15 tyres will do nicely on them and makes the RR only a tiny bit bigger than the minilites which have 195/45/14 tyres fitted..

Then I have 8, yes 2 sets, of these Magnesium Racing Split Rims which are 4x98, 5.5x13, 58.1CB, aka perfect Fiat fitment:
5d80_1.jpg

Next up is some bodywork, a previous owner (not sure which) decided to get the rear panel resprayed and was a completely mismatched colour so need to get that done, at the same time as having the abarth skirts re-done and possibly a few changes to the front bumper and bonnet..

It's gone. I decided it was time for someone else to restore it as I couldn't give it the time it needed to get it to the standard it should be. Hopefully you'll see it soon.

thats gutting mate, you never even drove it!!! I'm slightly shocked and appalled but i will let you off as i know there'll be something in the pipeline that'll be good enough to warrant selling.. Is it still on the forum or to a random, i know you would have mentioned us ;)

Back