2007_0217Image0015.JPG

Cinquecento My New Cinq: The First VanAaken Turbo.

Introduction

Well i thought id do a proper Members Motors post on my latest Cinq, Cinq turbo with a bit of background history and show progress as we go..

Yes i know, i couldnt stay away long, sold my Abarth last month and always wanted a turbo, and this one has a good history with it, plus its a good little project!

Well i went to collect and it looked like this..
Tub_1.jpg

Tub_2.jpg

Was quite surprised when i turned up at the condition considering id only seen these pictures of it, and agreed the price from that..
2007_0217Image0016.JPG

2007_0217Image0015.JPG

The car was vandalised whilst it was owned by Custard, then Urchin bought it midway through it being broken, then i bought it off him.. Paintwork not half as bad as i thought it would be, spent ages cleaning/cutting and waxing every nook and cranny, even the oil/grease in the boot etc so its gleaming yellow all over.

A bit of history behind the car: The first registered owner was Van Aaken themselves, hence the graphics, it was the first turbo cinq and was their development car, it was featured in AutoItalia magazine in 1997, Article was titled "Mighty Mouse" 110bhp quoted with a full review and comparison to a modified NA with 6speed etc (yellow version of my old cinq by the sounds of spec and abarth kit etc!).

The car came with most of the bits to get it back on the road, the engine bay was pretty dirty so we cleaned that up and got the autosol out so polished up all the metal bits like the oilcooler and re-routed some of the wires/hoses. It came with the original 14" KN Minators (minilite style) which were in the magazine article, we will be refurbing soon and getting them on, hoping to get the car ready for early spring/summer 08 but as one my insurance policies is due for renewal in October i may try and convince dad to give up a few more weekends, get a move on and get it done for then!

Craig
Re: My New Cinq: The First VanAaken Turbo

Right well had a good day sunday, got my arse in gear with the wheels, 2 of them had very little corrosion so they wont need so much attention. The other 2 however had paint flaking all over so i did start rubbing it down and then thought i would get out the nitromoors as it works a treat! Pics dont do it justice as it was getting dark, still need to go over it again with another coat to remove the last of it. they look really nice stripped, sort of anthracite colour, but the lip is silver underneath :p
SP_A0490.jpg

While i was doing this dad had his new dremel out and was sanding down my rocker cover, then got out the autosol and this was the finished product:
SP_A0499.jpg

SP_A0496.jpg

Chopped off one of the air filter holders, other one to go soon.. smoothness!
SP_A0497.jpg

Dont think ill be bothering with the wellers now, as these wheels have really good tyres and as im this far it will be quicker to just do these and fit rather than do the wellers, then these!

Well at this stage its come alot quicker than i thought, considering i thought we wouldnt be doing any real work til spring. theres not many big jobs to do now! :woot:

When the engine management light was on was the car running ok? my turbo cinq seems to run fine, but the management light comes on and stays on... occsionally it will go out for a while but then comes back on again.
Wonderin if it might be worth me changing my FCD... is it easy to do?
Glad to hear car comin on well :D (y)

When the engine management light was on was the car running ok? my turbo cinq seems to run fine, but the management light comes on and stays on... occsionally it will go out for a while but then comes back on again.
Wonderin if it might be worth me changing my FCD... is it easy to do?
Glad to hear car comin on well :D (y)

Hi Alex

Go the chap way and get a 4.30v Zener Diode and fit it between signal wire and ground wire on the original MAP-sensor. This is the way I did my FCD and it works just like the FCD's you buy ready to fit only the Zener Diode costs @ £0.1
Most FCD's contains a Zener Diode and a potentiometer to adjust the setpoint of the fuel cut. I know you need to keep voltage @ 4.30v-4.35v to prevent ECU fuel cut so a 4.30v Zener Diode will do the job just fine.

Cheers

Back from Corfu to find Polished rocker fitted, ecu black and FCD put on map sensor:
CinqEngine1.jpg

Dodgy hosing:
CinqEngine2.jpg

Put £15 fuel in and voila, runs smooth now, maybe just as it was low on fuel..
NOT FAR TO GO NOW!

Nice one, good to see more of these little tubbys. I might try and get one myself at some point in the future to have the Punto GT and a Cinq Turbo!

well done mate, shes lookin good, how much more is on your todo list?
keep up the good work mate

well now it's running properly it should pass MOT. so just cosmetic stuff like finish refurbing the wheels, build fake floor, finish off spare bumpers, get rest of vinyl remade. So all 'little' things really, few weekends work, but now i have another new car as a daily which i've got to do some work to so that's taking priority.

did you know there is a picture of it in Phil Wards new book great small fiats? turn to page 97 and there it is in all its glory! the reg has been blanked out but its defo this car you can tell by the wheels and if you look at the tax disc and the sticker below they are same as in the auto italia feature.:slayer:

did you know there is a picture of it in Phil Wards new book great small fiats? turn to page 97 and there it is in all its glory! the reg has been blanked out but its defo this car you can tell by the wheels and if you look at the tax disc and the sticker below they are same as in the auto italia feature.:slayer:

Have you got this book? would you mind scanning in the page for me?

Whiley, no mot as yet. although ive just paid for my insurance for my new car (vw jetta gti 16v) with any car insurance, so me and dad were chatting last night about him taking out insurance on the cinq, then i can drive it occasionally. The car never was going to be a daily, just a weekend/show car, and was aiming at late spring/sumer 08 but theres nothing left to do except some paintwork/detailing and mot, so it could be done in the next few months!

UPDATE: A bit more bling in the engine bay, polished strut brace fitted:
CInqEngine11.jpg

Started it up again yesterday and let it tick over for a while, then gave it a few low revs and the sound is awesome.

Onwards and upwards.

Back