2007_0217Image0015.JPG

Cinquecento My New Cinq: The First VanAaken Turbo.

Introduction

Well i thought id do a proper Members Motors post on my latest Cinq, Cinq turbo with a bit of background history and show progress as we go..

Yes i know, i couldnt stay away long, sold my Abarth last month and always wanted a turbo, and this one has a good history with it, plus its a good little project!

Well i went to collect and it looked like this..
Tub_1.jpg

Tub_2.jpg

Was quite surprised when i turned up at the condition considering id only seen these pictures of it, and agreed the price from that..
2007_0217Image0016.JPG

2007_0217Image0015.JPG

The car was vandalised whilst it was owned by Custard, then Urchin bought it midway through it being broken, then i bought it off him.. Paintwork not half as bad as i thought it would be, spent ages cleaning/cutting and waxing every nook and cranny, even the oil/grease in the boot etc so its gleaming yellow all over.

A bit of history behind the car: The first registered owner was Van Aaken themselves, hence the graphics, it was the first turbo cinq and was their development car, it was featured in AutoItalia magazine in 1997, Article was titled "Mighty Mouse" 110bhp quoted with a full review and comparison to a modified NA with 6speed etc (yellow version of my old cinq by the sounds of spec and abarth kit etc!).

The car came with most of the bits to get it back on the road, the engine bay was pretty dirty so we cleaned that up and got the autosol out so polished up all the metal bits like the oilcooler and re-routed some of the wires/hoses. It came with the original 14" KN Minators (minilite style) which were in the magazine article, we will be refurbing soon and getting them on, hoping to get the car ready for early spring/summer 08 but as one my insurance policies is due for renewal in October i may try and convince dad to give up a few more weekends, get a move on and get it done for then!

Craig
Re: My New Cinq: The First VanAaken Turbo

sure the FCD is connected properly and not causing the engine light to come on?!?

Cheers for the comments guys, the light is still flashing, tbh i havent touched the car for a week or so.. i havent got a clue what a FCD is? Maybe it is, maybe it isnt :p Projects on hold til 2 weekends, then the whole family has a week off so ill try pinch dad for a few days and get the ball rolling a bit!

RE brakes... yea get UT brakes!

I have fast road pads and discs and i managed to make them semi catch fire the other day after only two roundabouts :eek:

Nice to see another ressurected :D :yum: :worship: :slayer:

vad ones are pretty ****e aswell i had an fcd problem with mine.

Right well, after reading this i went and read all the posts i could to try and see where said FCD would be.. i can't see one? If it's connected to the map sensor then all the wires look like they've been cut and rejoined, so the FCD may have been removed? no worries though as the car hasn't been moved or been left running for long in a long time!
Pics below:
Rejoined.jpg

Cut_Wires.jpg

Also can anyone verify if the black box is the MF2? Its got 1xThick Black, 1xThick Red, 1xThin Black, 1xThin Red and 1xOrange cables going into it and when i traced the wires, they go to the 2nd injector in the engine bay..
MF2_Side.jpg

MF2.jpg

2Red2Black1Orange.jpg

Craig

Last edited:

thats the MF2 yeah and the FCD could be near the ecu plug or near the map sensor little black box usually about 1"

Yea, the first two pics are under the map sensor, i looked all around the ECU and can't see anything there..

EDIT: here's a video of the engine running and the popping noise it makes when it wants to cut-out!

or
[media]https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/data/500/SV_A0046.mp4[/media]
or
https://www.fiatforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=27933&limit=recent

Last edited:

Good to see the car being revived.

Firstly is that a vacuum hose going to the MF2? Looks like it, only other car I have seen like that is Blu's (Jamie's old car) which had been modified to accept vacuum and therefore do away with needing a 2nd MAP sensor as they do not come like this as standard. Look here for pictures and instruction book http://www.turbobits.co.uk/acatalog/erl_aquamist_mf2_injector_controller.html

The FCD is normally one of two types on VAD models, this being an early one i would expect to see a largish unit about 40by55mm made by Superchips that has a little diagram inside to say which wires goes where. theses are normally stuck to the back of the bracket behind the ECU where the two fuses holders are. The later type made by VAD is much smaller and normally spliced into the loom nearer the multiplug for the ECU as i bought a new one which came with instructions to do exactly this. I would try taking the tape of those wires and see if its just a cut and join or its in fact splice and then follow the spliced wires back to FCD. As for FCD this is simple and easy to use http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Fuel_Cut_Defencer-VFCC.asp

The first thing i would do with this car with the high mileage is replace the fuel pump with the uprated Walbro, I personally would not use a 2nd hand pump as well you got to ask your self if there is a market for those pumps it's probably cause they fail, buy new get warranty be rest assured they are cheap at less than £100. And then get a 2nd fuel pressure regulator and set it up as I have explained on a few threads to ensure that the 2nd injector is getting its correct pressure.

As for car running poor, I'd start with all the normal stuff, coil packs, plugs, ignition leads, timing as it sounds as if it could be out.

Cheers for the comments guys, the light is still flashing, tbh i havent touched the car for a week or so.. i havent got a clue what a FCD is? Maybe it is, maybe it isnt :p Projects on hold til 2 weekends, then the whole family has a week off so ill try pinch dad for a few days and get the ball rolling a bit!

LOL, sound about as clued up as me when it comes to this stuff, same solution too, get Dad.

Firstly is that a vacuum hose going to the MF2? Looks like it, only other car I have seen like that is Blu's (Jamie's old car) which had been modified to accept vacuum and therefore do away with needing a 2nd MAP sensor as they do not come like this as standard.
News to me :eek: lol

well had a week off, not much progress on this but chucked away all the red bodypanels and roof i had from the cinq i broke, took loads of bits down the tip including some 14" steelies etc as theyre taking up space.

Got a HKS FCD through the post (cheers Gaz) and fitted that, found the old one in the end, a tiny box nicely hidden. Dad cut the wires and joined them up to the new one, fired her up... no injection light flashing :woop: Also found a box with lean-->rich lights on it which had been removed, rewired that in so it sat under the ashtray (where there was wires cut) shows running normal (yellow) but theres one wire which i cant see where it goes: grey, black and red all have corresponding wires, but there's a yellow one which is with the loom but not sure where to connect to, tried putting it with the red but it sparks so obviously not that one.

Also got some new wheels, sexy or what:
SP_A0441-1.jpg

SP_A0442-1.jpg

SP_A0437.jpg

Perfect for a euro style car, while i refurb the MLs, saw them on ebay advertised as 4x100 (what i need for the vw's) but guy measured them and they're 4x98, they're the sought after Weller Steelies, 13x7" ~ET30. As you can see from the trial fit above theyre perfect fitment, no rubbing on the arches/calipers/suspension (but then it's jacked up so might catch front suspension when it's on the floor) and they don't stick outside the arch. Nice wide dish :D they need a rub down and re-spray, im thinking of doing them red to match the graphics but i'm not 100% sure as they'd be easier to just re-do white. The best bit is i have quite a few VW fans that want them when i come to sell as Wide steelies are big on the dub scene at the mo.

So to sum up, the car now runs smoothly, needs the new panels fitted, wheels need to be refurbed, fit the new driver's seat, build a fake floor, get the skirts sprayed and on the car, get a rear spoiler, fit the polished strutbrace (or red momo one) and clean up the engine bay a bit more then shove it in for MOT, should be ok and then decide whether to sell up or keep it, i know once i drive it i'll want to keep it but its worth weighing up the options!

Craig

Right well i came home at 12 yesterday to find dad had cracking on with the car in my absence. All bodypanels now replaced with good paint matching panels. :)
Got a new Boost guage off my dads friend who's got a Grale, fitted that in the stereo slot. Weird though as it sits at 0PSI when off (obviously) then when engine is turned on it drops down to what seems to be -15, gave it a quick rev and it went to near 0 but i would of thought it went from 0> not -15>?
Superchips Lambda sensor Lean>Rich Light box *thing* fitted still not working properly :confused: even after i rewired it, live, neutral and yellow wire to lamba.. With just Power wires conected it lights up Rich, connect yellow wire and no more lights, hhmmm..
Then i had a football match so dad carried on, took MF2 apart, said it was all lights and stuff inside which looked cool, said what they all did but its beyond me!
Took off boost pipes and metal downpipe to the turbo, sanded it down and sprayed it black, reconnected it all.
Got home and dad said he quickly turned it round, said the thing absolutely flew when it hit boost :woop:
TBC

oh definately mate, when i get it MOT'd etc i will only be using it for weekends/shows anyway so it wont be racking up the miles, but it'll definately be running right before i drive it anywhere.

To Do List:
Refurb 13x7 Weller Race Steelies, tyres on (unsure on colour)
Refurb 14x6 KN Minators
Trace wiring for Lambda sensor box
Sort bodged wiring behind Dash
Sort Engine Bay Wiring
Redo Rocker Cover and some other engine bits
Fit new front seats
Build Carpetted Rear Fake floor in place of rear seats (so i cant give lifts!)
Respray and Fit Abarth Sideskirts
Track down and fit Abarth Spoiler
Modify spare yellow front bumper and bonnet for Trackdays ;)
Get bits of Vinyl remade
Fit polished strutbrace
MOT & Tax
Get AutoItalia feature blown up to size of rear-side windows for shows

Think thats all, not much then :rolleyes:

Then if budget allows lower suspension and UT Discs all round.

Back