Styling modifying gsr induction

Currently reading:
Styling modifying gsr induction

Lancashire :) Fair old way but if your at an AI show this year then i'll take a look.
not to worry, yeah, i might go to the AI show, i not been to a show this year, when/where is it? il try and get some pictures up in a little bit

its a shame i havent still got my van or i would get our lass to follow me down in it so i could help you do it and you could help me fit my abarth kit
yeah, thats a shame, that would have been good for both of us sorry i didn't get you the pictures of the alloys last night, i went to watch the hay fight, and didn't get back on here at all.

sorry for the wait, here are some pictures of my engine bay without the covers on. if you need anymore just let me know. cheers again (y)

Attachments

• IMG00023-20100407-1747.jpg
    IMG00023-20100407-1747.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG00024-20100407-1747.jpg
    IMG00024-20100407-1747.jpg
    483.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG00025-20100407-1747.jpg
    IMG00025-20100407-1747.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG00026-20100407-1748.jpg
    IMG00026-20100407-1748.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG00027-20100407-1748.jpg
    IMG00027-20100407-1748.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 18
Hmm... im thinking that your tubo is as low as the 1.9 just the other way round.

I'm thinking its gonna be harder to get out on that side but can you see out into the inner wheel arch from under the battery tray?

If not then im thinking your gonna have to turn 180 (90, T-Piece for breather,90) , MAF, straight across to offside and 90 down into wheel arch there.

Three important measurements now for you are the outer diameter of the MAF (if its the same as ours its 70mm) and the outer diameter of the turbo (ours is 50 something but has such a long neck that a well clamped 60mm is fine. Finally the inner diameter of the breather pipe going into the T-Piece.

Gonna give you a cheap option now too which might prove to be pretty good.

You'll see the MAF intake side is now pointing toward the offside, remembering that this is probably the direction we need to go in and that corners and T-Pieces make your silicone kit dear.

I'd look to take full advantage of what the factory has built you already and just go straight over with the correct diameter of silicone to the offside wheel arch and then 90 down to a filter.

13.gif

Because I think that probably over to the offside is the best option space wise and looking at the pic of the 180 bend they use I dont really think we could better it with Silicone as its got to have pretty much the reduction they use.

Also the breather is kept nicely away from the MAF.

Measurements we need here are just MAF outer diameter. And the distance to the inner wheel arch (You can order a 1m length of silicone so just make sure that its less than a meter to the end of the car.

If you are at AI Brooklands then we can have a proper look and ill help you with measurements. Or if anyones got a 1.3 and fancys a brew they can pop over.

Last edited:
yep, i can see the inner wheel arch from under the battery tray.
to take those measurements im going to need callipers and im not at work again now until next week, unless you only need a there about and not a dead on measurement?
on your diagram, you show the piping going to the drivers side wheel arch and not to under the battery tray, but if you look at the picture of my engine with the cover on, wont the air intake pipe and the engine cover be in the way? wouldnt it need to on the side like the one i drew?
where did you get your silicone from, ebay? i got an air filter yesterady from a shop in Peterborough :), called ice direct for twelve quid, its a big one to, so hopefully will be alright

Attachments

• IMG00018-20100407-1719.jpg
    IMG00018-20100407-1719.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 14
  • filer position.jpg
    filer position.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 23
yep, i can see the inner wheel arch from under the battery tray.
to take those measurements im going to need callipers and im not at work again now until next week, unless you only need a there about and not a dead on measurement?
on your diagram, you show the piping going to the drivers side wheel arch and not to under the battery tray, but if you look at the picture of my engine with the cover on, wont the air intake pipe and the engine cover be in the way? wouldnt it need to on the side like the one i drew?
where did you get your silicone from, ebay? i got an air filter yesterady from a shop in Peterborough :), called ice direct for twelve quid, its a big one to, so hopefully will be alright

Tape measure or ruler will do fine, silicone has a good amount of stetch. Though its not reccomended to try and make it shrink too much.

Does the 180 degree bend (Number 3) rotate?

Try http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/ Auto Performance for your hoses.

What size neck does your filter have?

PS if it does turn out that we need to go to the drivers side then we can get a spare engine cover and remove anything in the way.

Last edited:
Tape measure or ruler will do fine, silicone has a good amount of stetch. Though its not reccomended to try and make it shrink too much.

Does the 180 degree bend (Number 3) rotate?

Try http://www.auto-performance.co.uk/ Auto Performance for your hoses.

What size neck does your filter have?

ok then, is there a way i can calculate how much the optimum reduction is? or is that to deep haha.
i dont think it will rotate to face the other way, it was a pretty sturdy pipe, but il check this morning. cheers, il have a look at the piping.
erm il have to get it and have a look, but it come with 4 attachments adaptors for different sized piping.

ok then, is there a way i can calculate how much the optimum reduction is? or is that to deep haha.
i dont think it will rotate to face the other way, it was a pretty sturdy pipe, but il check this morning. cheers, il have a look at the piping.
erm il have to get it and have a look, but it come with 4 attachments adaptors for different sized piping.

Maybee... anyone got a degree in fluid dynamics or the such like?

Gradual I guess is the key, stop air bouncing off and causing turbulence.

With an NA engine turbulence in the intake are is fine (and beneficial) but with a turbo air needs to smootly hit the fins of the turbo. Keeps things cooler that way.

You could always buy another, cut it turn it and fix it back together with a silicone section and some clamps :)

For cost savings if your doing the whole thing silicone then just reduce the very last section as it goes into the turbo, keep the rest the same.

You'll hopefully find your MAF is 70mm and you should deffo have a 70mm collar in your cone filter box.

Extending the breather pipe to fit up to your T-Piece may be a challenge.

Maybee... anyone got a degree in fluid dynamics or the such like?

Gradual I guess is the key, stop air bouncing off and causing turbulence.

With an NA engine turbulence in the intake are is fine (and beneficial) but with a turbo air needs to smootly hit the fins of the turbo. Keeps things cooler that way.

You could always buy another, cut it turn it and fix it back together with a silicone section and some clamps :)

For cost savings if your doing the whole thing silicone then just reduce the very last section as it goes into the turbo, keep the rest the same.

You'll hopefully find your MAF is 70mm and you should deffo have a 70mm collar in your cone filter box.

Extending the breather pipe to fit up to your T-Piece may be a challenge.

yeah i could do, while we o on about turbos, and im doing this, is a turbo upgrade an option? maybe a 1.9 turbo?
il go and measure soon, but im going away tonight, so not sure if il have time until i get there tonight.

yeah i could do, while we o on about turbos, and im doing this, is a turbo upgrade an option? maybe a 1.9 turbo?
il go and measure soon, but im going away tonight, so not sure if il have time until i get there tonight.

TBH its not something i've ever thought of doing or looked into but I came across these guys on FB and they have done a great deal of work with the 1.3

http://www.trwperformance.com/index.htm

Adam's dead knowledgable turbo wise so you may find he has a suggestion.

yeah i could do, while we o on about turbos, and im doing this, is a turbo upgrade an option? maybe a 1.9 turbo?.

The turbo off the GP 1.9 would be difficult for you. The 1.9 Garrett unit is electronic VG, I believe the unit in the 1.3 is pneumaticly actuated. You would therefore have problems integrating the electronic control on the Garrett into your ECU which would not be programmed to control it correctly.

Percyhan before you buy anything you definitley need to be very careful and take good measurements making sure that everything will fit.

Something (or someone ;)) tells me that our thoughts may not be the best option here.

A look under my bonnet and comparing with your pictures makes me think that we are too high up to go down into the drivers wheel arch with just a straight section. And things like the OIL filler seem in the direct line we need to take, could be a hell of a lot of 45 degree turns to snake sidways and down.

Lets investigate a little more on how we could get out to the pasenger side.

Last edited:
alex you seen how my GSR sits just underneath the battery tray with one straight piece of silicone and MAF and filter on the end, do you think that something like that would be a easier idea?

alex you seen how my GSR sits just underneath the battery tray with one straight piece of silicone and MAF and filter on the end, do you think that something like that would be a easier idea?

Yeah, that was my first thought though not sure how cramped it all is under there.

Pic would be good with no battery or tray in :)

sorry everone, iv been away for couple of days, and couldnt get internet connection.

The turbo off the GP 1.9 would be difficult for you. The 1.9 Garrett unit is electronic VG, I believe the unit in the 1.3 is pneumaticly actuated. You would therefore have problems integrating the electronic control on the Garrett into your ECU which would not be programmed to control it correctly.
thats ok, i just thought it may fit, as they both diesel engines off the same car, not to worry.

Percyhan before you buy anything you definitley need to be very careful and take good measurements making sure that everything will fit.

Something (or someone ;)) tells me that our thoughts may not be the best option here.

A look under my bonnet and comparing with your pictures makes me think that we are too high up to go down into the drivers wheel arch with just a straight section. And things like the OIL filler seem in the direct line we need to take, could be a hell of a lot of 45 degree turns to snake sidways and down.

Lets investigate a little more on how we could get out to the pasenger side.

i had a look under the bonnet this morning, and under the battery tray (which is on the passenger side) is very cramped, and it might be possible to get a pipe down there, but would be tight. il have a measure later. it would take alot more piping and work to get it down to the drivers side battery tray, which is empty though, so both sides have pros and cons. il investigate today and get back to you.

Yeah, that was my first thought though not sure how cramped it all is under there.

Pic would be good with no battery or tray in :)

il take some pics of the engine bay without the battery, and see if i can get the tray off to.

just another quickey, nit to do with my grande, has anyone ever changed brake pipes, or fuel lines? my daewoo nexia needs them all replacing as it failed its mot on them, and wondered if its an easy fix?

Brake pipes are easy to replace, it's bleeding the brakes after that's a bit more complex and being carefull you don't get brake fluid anywhere. If you not 100% on what you're doing I wouldn't reccomend doing it yourself, not that expensive for a garage to do it.

Back