ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

Panda (Classic) Mk1 Fiat panda 4X4 restore

Introduction

Sam's Fiat Panda mk1 restoration thread

Day 1

Started work today on the panda, my god, what have I done :eek:. As im working on the car I'm keeping a running notepad report/ideas/questions sheet.

Mission today : Rust finding

Rust found on

Front arches
Front sills (passenger side)
Under washer bottle
Scuttle pannle, passenger side
Rear tail gate

Rear tail gate is a write off, and the rest is going to need a lot of welding. Underside checks out with solid jacking points. Rear arches solid but have surface rust. Look better after a blast with the sander.

Removed bonnet 4X10mm bolts
Spare wheel removed with tool kit and jack
Washer bottle 1x 8mm nut
Scuttle panel vents
Bulk head insulation, removed 2 Philips screws removed fuse box (2 wires disconnected my mouse)
1 Orange and 1 white block disconnected from washer bottle
vents removed, 2x2 Philips screws
Wiper removed
Scuttle panel removed

Photos to be sorted out soon, sorry for the some what ott list, its more for my reference as I know what i'm like with bits of paper.

I was happy with everything till I saw the mess under the scuttle panel :eek: Im in this deep however I may as well crack on.

I have two options, find a panda non runner and cut the bits I need out of that, Or get my self a anvil and vise and make up some sheets my self.

All in all, PANIC!!!!
Sadly work has come to a halt now, at very least for the next few months.
We had to move house due to work, I lost my space and my workshop in the proccess :(

I very nearly just let the scrap man take it but decided to pay some chap to low loader it to my parents house and store it under cover at least.

I can work on it up there but it's far from ideal. I just need to get the windscreen back in then at least it would be water tight.

If any one knows of a 4x4 for sale around the 1k or less mark please let me know as this will no longer be ready by spa iTalia next year :cry:

Ok, long time no update, settled in to new house and the rubbish that goes along with that.

Body work started:

302820_266053963418209_100000408239208_933302_1613024752_n.jpg

304070_266053996751539_100000408239208_933303_1792937535_n.jpg

And now stopped till next year as I wont have a garage for the next 6 months

Windscreen collected and fitted

377791_328054497218155_100000408239208_1127999_119179029_n.jpg

and the panel just placed over the top (to be refurbished)

396891_328054723884799_100000408239208_1128000_747514385_n.jpg

Its under cover and waiting for some sun/a garage now..... Why did I fit the windscreen I hear you ask?

a) now water tight
b) with the amount of rebuilding work around the windscreen the car being chopped to bits there was always the possibility it just wouldn't fit!
Well it did, and it went in like a glove :)

I know :s
Experience tells me I'll cut it out and destroy the rubber to save the glass. New rubber would be a good idea any how knowing how these love to rot if ANY water is left standing

I've cut out a couple to get spare windscreens but haven't had to replace another one yet. When I do my plan was to get a new rubber before cutting out the old one, I assumed that a dealer could supply, is this not the case?

Kev.
Happy new year to you and Heiki,
You aren't taking your tin snips are you as I have a rotten arse on me Panda.
I could do with the area circled in red right down to the bottom edge of the sill if there is a non rotten one.
Please let me know.......
Sorry for using an image cut from Gaydon.
Dave
uXl4tHJxsm1tsWtrrmlqq2Znp2FiolxdnlhZm1dYmlZXm1dYm1lamlhZmVdYmFZXmVZXmFRVl1RTl1RTl1RTl1RRl1VRmFZRllVOlFNLklFIkFBGkE9GklJLlVRPl1VQl1VQllRPlVFMmFJNmlJOm1JOnFNOnlRQolVSolZSo1lTolpTolpToVlSnVZPm1VOnVdQnFdQm1dQmlZPmVdPmFdPmFZRmFZRmFZRllZRllZRllZSlVVRlVVRk1RQk1NRlFRT

well took me a while but here i am at the end of the thread.. gutting you lost the workspace! You planning on just cracking on in the summer now then when its dry or you trying to sort somewhere else 'indoors'..

Muchos respect for saving it, and not giving up yet - sounds like its been very close a few times.. Stick with it!

Im not sure how im going to go forwards.
I think its going to be a case of just cracking on with it over the summer and getting all the body work prepped and ready for the shop.

Finish of the last bit of welding I have to do, get some slight filling done to remove two dents that were made by me.

Fit glass back in and fit new boot lid.

Move the car around the side and start stripping and refitting the suspension, removing old under seal and refinishing.

Then engien out and off to the shop it goes, ill move on with a overhaul of the carb and points at that point as well as paining and cleaning.

Its all to do but its a long term project to go with a bit of a dream I have been planning :)

martin-luther-king.jpg

tbh i'd look at buying a good quality cover, i know it seems like alot of money to spend right now but that cover you put on it doesn't look like it will do much other than trap moisture under it (ie. on the car). Was reading a thread y'day on another site, the guy had left the car (a complete car with windows & doors etc) under a sheet like that and the inside was so mouldy it was untrue and everything damp - I recommend getting on of these or one like it - i can confirm from experience these covers will keep the car bone dry ;)

Last edited:
Back