ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).jpg

Panda (Classic) Mk1 Fiat panda 4X4 restore

Introduction

Sam's Fiat Panda mk1 restoration thread

Day 1

Started work today on the panda, my god, what have I done :eek:. As im working on the car I'm keeping a running notepad report/ideas/questions sheet.

Mission today : Rust finding

Rust found on

Front arches
Front sills (passenger side)
Under washer bottle
Scuttle pannle, passenger side
Rear tail gate

Rear tail gate is a write off, and the rest is going to need a lot of welding. Underside checks out with solid jacking points. Rear arches solid but have surface rust. Look better after a blast with the sander.

Removed bonnet 4X10mm bolts
Spare wheel removed with tool kit and jack
Washer bottle 1x 8mm nut
Scuttle panel vents
Bulk head insulation, removed 2 Philips screws removed fuse box (2 wires disconnected my mouse)
1 Orange and 1 white block disconnected from washer bottle
vents removed, 2x2 Philips screws
Wiper removed
Scuttle panel removed

Photos to be sorted out soon, sorry for the some what ott list, its more for my reference as I know what i'm like with bits of paper.

I was happy with everything till I saw the mess under the scuttle panel :eek: Im in this deep however I may as well crack on.

I have two options, find a panda non runner and cut the bits I need out of that, Or get my self a anvil and vise and make up some sheets my self.

All in all, PANIC!!!!
Again, sorry about lack of updates, between work, stilo select gearbox desiring to commit suicide, new motorbike, breaking a 16vt fiat coupe and general life... I havent got much done!

Another push this weekend saw sills being sorted and the A panel being tacked it place and the wing offers up, some tweaking will be needed sadly

_DSC0984.jpg

Hi All,
First I have some sincere apologise to make, to any one waiting on a PM I will reply to tonight/tomorrow morning.

Next, a small update, im now carless and just have a motorbike, my coupe 20vt bottom end went and I have drawn a line under owning big fiats, the bike is saving me a fortune so that money will be put towards a fiat panda 100hp over the next few months.

Next, an update on the car, I haven't been sitting on my hands and over the last two weekends I dusted off the welder and started getting her ship shape, with winter coming and just two wheels to keep me shiny side up I figger I need to get her done before the first snow fall!

So I have gone from this

_DSC0127.jpg

to this

_DSC1224.jpg

_DSC1225.jpg

_DSC1226.jpg

This

_DSC1236.jpg

To this (as of 2 hours ago welded in properly)

_DSC1237.jpg

This

_DSC1240.jpg

To this

_DSC1241.jpg

And this

_DSC1243.jpg

To this, I haven't finished it yet, when it gets dark I turn power tools off, the people around me are quite forgiving but I don't like to push it

_DSC1246.jpg

Tomorrow all being well the welding should be finished :D

Last edited:
The rear arches have already been patched, I just don't have any photos of that, I need a hour or two to make them look pretty that's about it.

The nearside fronts been a nightmare with that A section just being dissolved, I think had I known the state of it id have walked away. The scuttle panel/vents come in a close second as there terribly fiddly. I have learnt from the nearside and improved on the offside.

Sill wise after a wire brush on angle grinder im happy there solid and only a inch needs tidying.

Its been a learning experience.....I feel silly for even thinking about taking on this level of work however...filler for some light dents and then a DIY paint job next :S

Coooooooool!! but damn it your making me want to get on with mine and I have house work to do!! :eek:

Looking great, make sure she gets plenty of waxoil if your planning playing in the snow though! The salt they used this year reeeally tried to dissolve QingQing. I washed the underside thoroughly between "snowings" :D

I've started using this weld through primer and etch primer that halfords sell. Comes in metallic green or red cans (unless your spraying with a compressor).

Best luck to you tomorrow!

Si

Back