General maybe getting a stilo

Currently reading:
General maybe getting a stilo

The weird thing is, for a car that was supposed to be so plagued by problems, the majority of Stilos for sale seem to have no more than two keepers. And a huge amount only have one, so must be plenty of other happy owners like alot of us on here.
Alternatively, people hold on to their Stilos because they are stuck with them, as nobody wants to buy them :D

In my opinion its a car that needs looking after ..and by that I mean keep it serviced and dont ignore anything that should crop up ..when things do go wrong it doesnt always mean you have to use dealer parts either as there are some good products out there which are far better as I found out..I havnt got it now and dont really regret getting shot ..it was just the initial shock of the part ex offer that shook me a little..£1500 ..:eek: got £2500 out of them in the end but it didnt cover the 6K I had spent doing modernisations to it..:bang:

Fiat panda owner now and Happy..:p

so if i keep it toped up of fluids and service it when needed the engine should be fine ?

aslong as repairs aint over £150 at one time i will be fine

well 2 months from now i might have a stilo then

so if i keep it toped up of fluids and service it when needed the engine should be fine ?

aslong as repairs aint over £150 at one time i will be fine

well 2 months from now i might have a stilo then

Only wish that was true ..I had injector problems on my 1.6 ..first time they stripped it they said injector fault it isnt..bill for £150 + vat for stripping and rectifying an electrical fault they said ..two days later engine light was back and it went back in again..:bang: Oh dear they said looks like its the injector then..:rolleyes: £275 thank you very much..:mad: thing can go badly for some and yet for others they get no problems at all..

Over all the car wasnt to bad but as I said I didnt use dealer parts to replace when it did go wrong..I suppose I was one of the lucky ones..;)

The interiour got really shabby in the end..I think fiat got a job lot of cloth at a local bootsale..they have an infatuaion with Blue god damn it..:bang: and I didnt want to go to the expence of replacing the seats after I couldnt fit the bucket seats I had bought ..:(

The tone of this thread started well but seems to be going down hill quickly :(

It has to be said this type of question has been asked countless times before and you can get the answers by just using the Search tool (use Advanced mode)

Now everyone just knew I was going to say that now didn't they ;)

Only had mine just over 2 weeks now, but so far 8/10 :D

Not had a single issue, and mine's been towing other cars all over Norfolk etc (y)

Jon.

thanks mate for that great reviews on here but other places not so good

was not sure on the car at first but looks good now ive seen it for ages

thanks mate for that great reviews on here but other places not so good

was not sure on the car at first but looks good now ive seen it for ages

TBH I was thinking the same when I was looking at my Stilo. But the guys in this secton really know there stuff and done a great job at re-assuring me.

And the fact your after a 5 door is even better as it's the 3-doors that suffer with alot more problems than the 5 doors from what it would seem (y)

Here was my thread https://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/191627-thinking-buying-stilo.html (y)

Jon.

well ones ive saw are really clean and tidy and i love them and you can get alot of car for £1500 now

And the fact your after a 5 door is even better as it's the 3-doors that suffer with alot more problems than the 5 doors from what it would seem (y)

Why should the 3 door version have more problems than the 5 door one? Is it because the wires underneath the front seats perhaps being moved back and forth more as people enter the back seat?

Why should the 3 door version have more problems than the 5 door one? Is it because the wires underneath the front seats perhaps being moved back and forth more as people enter the back seat?
You've got it in one there (y)

You also tend to get the issue of the door pulls coming adrift from the door card due to the doors being heavier but apart from that they're much the same in reliability terms.

Alternatively, people hold on to their Stilos because they are stuck with them, as nobody wants to buy them :D

Could be the case, although they seem to attract some attention on price alone from what ive seen.

And they think that they are worth more than they actually are..:devil:

If you bought one new, theyre financial suicide. But buying at 4 years old, theyre not any worse than many other cars.

so whats the car like altogether 1/10

????

Id give mine 7/10 so far. Had it since September. Reasonably refined & economic (around mid - late 40 MPG). Generally decent interior let down by a few rattles & the weak feeling door cards. Biggest let down is the creaking suspension & rattles that are present one day & not the next. Probably no worse than a 307 or Megane, but not as thoroughly engineered as my previous Mk2 Punto.

well ones ive saw are really clean and tidy and i love them and you can get alot of car for £1500 now

5 doors seem to lose abit more money than the 3 doors, abit like with the previous Bravo/Brava. The 3 door is popular with the younger crowd as it has a good look to it, and thus seems to sell on faster.

The good thing about the 5 door is the conservative looks have attracted some conservative older buyers, who traditionally take care of their cars, so there should be some sound & well looked after examples out there. Some 3 door ones may have had more money spent on modding than on servicing, which is less likely to be the case on the 5 door.

Last edited:
The good thing about the 5 door is the conservative looks have attracted some conservative older buyers, who traditionally take care of their cars, so there should be some sound & well looked after examples out there. Some 3 door ones may have had more money spent on modding than on servicing, which is less likely to be the case on the 5 door.
Excellent point made there Liam (y)

I have to be honest and say I wouldn't want to touch any heavily modded car - especially any which have had the induction messed with (n)

When Liam said old and conservative I think he meant we are old gits Argo..;) but the fact you drive like a loon rules you out..:p ;) and YES I agree with the induction point ..but would also say body mods as well after what I went through with mine..I have no problem with brake upgrades as that only betters the stilo's crap ones..:D

I have to be honest and say I wouldn't want to touch any heavily modded car - especially any which have had the induction messed with (n)

Thanks :) I just hate the idea of modding - i just don't see why someone would buy something they like, only to completely change it. And what bothers me more is that too often the money seems to be spent on the mods, and not on the basics like the oil & coolant changes. Just can't get my head round that at all. God im a miserable bas*ard sometimes :p

When Liam said old and conservative I think he meant we are old gits Argo..;) but the fact you drive like a loon rules you out..:p ;) and YES I agree with the induction point ..but would also say body mods as well after what I went through with mine..I have no problem with brake upgrades as that only betters the stilo's crap ones..:D

Hehe, you'll get me ran off the road by the angry 5 door mob now ;) Do you not like the Stilos brakes PNL? I thought they were really good - maybe thats just coz i had a Mk2 Punto for 4 years prior to the Stilo - now that was a good car but Christ those brakes were bad. I had an anchor in the footwell to chuck out back just incase!

Last edited:
Do you not like the Stilos brakes PNL? I thought they were really good - maybe thats just coz i had a Mk2 Punto for 4 years prior to the Stilo - now that was a good car but Christ those brakes were bad. I had an anchor in the footwell to chuck out back just incase!

Well lets say the brakes on my 5dr were absolutely crap wouldn't be an under statement before I did the upgrade on them..but her indoors new 1.4 really isnt to bad....I had a proton GTI before mine which could near enough stop on a sixpence but I suppose it needed it being a hot hatch..:devil:

Back