General Stilo preventative maintanance.

Currently reading:
General Stilo preventative maintanance.

ArcticStilo

So i have changed the motor oil, Filter, Air filter and spark plugs on my new stilo 1.6 16v that i got for free. I have also sprayed most connections with contact spray.
I have found that i like working on this litle gem so i am asking you, What should i do next?
What items of preventative maintanance can be done to these cars?
It has been driven 160 993km

Thank you in advance!

So i have changed the motor oil, Filter, Air filter and spark plugs on my new stilo 1.6 16v that i got for free. I have also sprayed most connections with contact spray.
I have found that i like working on this litle gem so i am asking you, What should i do next?
What items of preventative maintanance can be done to these cars?
It has been driven 160 993km

Thank you in advance!
Check underneath the rear wheel arch liners at the back of the sills. Gets rusty there due to build up of grot. Clean and protect.

It really depends on how many miles, what servicing its had, when, and by whom, and whether you like it or not, miss timing it is being clumsy at best.

On a 20 year old Stilo with 100,000 miles and no service history, the brake fluid, clutch fluid, cabin filter, fuel filter, and maybe gearbox oil would benefit attention. While you're doing those you might spot an issue or two that needs attention.

It really depends on how many miles, what servicing its had, when, and by whom, and whether you like it or not, miss timing it is being clumsy at best.

On a 20 year old Stilo with 100,000 miles and no service history, the brake fluid, clutch fluid, cabin filter, fuel filter, and maybe gearbox oil would benefit attention. While you're doing those you might spot an issue or two that needs attention.
well this car is a guineapig for me. i got it for free and the bits are cheap so i am training my mechanic skills on a more moder vehicle than my 74 taunus where the timing belt was a 20minute job, in my country cars get driven almost with no exeption above 200 000km.
i got some dot 4.1 brakefluid on the shelf so i might do that next.
i know this car has been maintained atleast to some extent because it was owned by a granny (verified from estate papers and google street view) from basicly new to 2021.
speaking of spotting issues, do these things have classic oilpan gaskets or is there some weird engineering going on because i cant seem to find one for sale and the current one has been clearly glued on with some rubbery substance :D
i see that the mechaninc previously working on this was a lazy bastard but atleast there was somebody working on it.

Well done, always good to be able to practice on something that isn't of great value first of all just in case something goes wrong.

Sump (oil pan) gaskets are debatable, inasmuch as obviously if its leaking badly and messing the garage floor etc, then it needs changing, but if it's only a slight weep I would suggest leaving it alone until it got worse.

I guess you can change transmission oil, coolant and brake fluid. As already mentioned, remove all wheel arch liners and clear the sills of dust and junk which traps moisture. Also disconnect the bottom shock absorber bolts on the rear subframe ( support it with jack) and clean the junk under the spring mounts (another moisture trap which leads to rust). If the bottom spring mounts are old and hard, you can replace them - part no. 82435857
When fitting the shock bolts, they must be tightened with the car sitting on the ground.
There are no gaskets on the oil pan, black silicone is used.
I also find these cars relatively easy to work on, everything is simple and its built like a lego. Mine is a fiat bravo, but its basically the same platform as the Stilo.

Last edited:
Well done, always good to be able to practice on something that isn't of great value first of all just in case something goes wrong.

Sump (oil pan) gaskets are debatable, inasmuch as obviously if its leaking badly and messing the garage floor etc, then it needs changing, but if it's only a slight weep I would suggest leaving it alone until it got worse.
i mean like is there even supposed to be a gasket there because i cant find a replacement one for sale. if there is supposed to be one i will have to cut it out from gasketpaper by hand some time if this grose macgyvering that has been made by previous mechanic ever starts to leak.

I guess you can change transmission oil, coolant and brake fluid. As already mentioned, remove all wheel arch liners and clear the sills of dust and junk which traps moisture. Also disconnect the bottom shock absorber bolts on the rear subframe ( support it with jack) and clean the junk under the spring mounts (another moisture trap which leads to rust). If the bottom spring mounts are old and hard, you can replace them - part no. 82435857
When fitting the shock bolts, they must be tightened with the car sitting on the ground.
There are no gaskets on the oil pan, black silicone is used.
I also find these cars relatively easy to work on, everything is simple and its built like a lego. Mine is a fiat bravo, but its basically the same platform as the Stilo.
yes it not the worst car to work on from its age group. the implementation is somethimes a bit "italian" like we would say over here but there are many good things also.
i have flushed the coolant allready because i saw grose flouties in it.
i found out about that dust trap when doing the timingjob on it a few days ago. it has already caused a rust spot to form in the front wheel arches and i have to paint that some day, cleaned the firs one doing the timing.

i mean like is there even supposed to be a gasket there because i cant find a replacement one for sale. if there is supposed to be one i will have to cut it out from gasketpaper by hand some time if this grose macgyvering that has been made by previous mechanic ever starts to leak.

It's just Instant Gasket goo.. no physical gasket.

Ralf S.

Back