General just bought a Panda to add to the fleet

Currently reading:
General just bought a Panda to add to the fleet

Re: just added a panda to he fleet

Not gonna do the belt and tensioner for at least a couple of years. They are perfectly fine according to my dad (ford technician) . It really is a smasher though. Pinched it at 1500.:D

ask him about the intervals on the TDCI engines (cam and water pumps) works 2008 Ford Mundaino pool car recently shed its water pump and belt at 10,000m under interval on mileage

It should be a simple task for a decent mechanic with a locking kit £50 on parts and peace of mind that it gives for the next few years :)

The cambelt is due for a change according to FIAT, and they will know more than your dad (no disrespect).

Also change the coolant or you risk issues like engine parts corroding away due to rust.

I would also check the condition of the aux belt too and any other rubber parts like suspension bushes (though the noise usually gives worn bushes away).

I am not sure £1500 is a bargain because I don't place any value on low mileage cars with hardly any service history but you've not been ripped off either.

After standing around for that length of time, ALL the fluids should be changed - including the clutch hydraulics & gearbox oil. The fuel system will likely be gummed up too, so wait until the tank is almost empty & add a bottle of fuel/injector cleaner.

If it were my car, I'd also strip down the front brakes & lubricate the sliding surfaces (mine needed doing after 6 months/6000 miles from new!).

But it does sound like something of a find, albeit one with a sad history. Enjoy your new set of wheels.

After standing around for that length of time, ALL the fluids should be changed - including the clutch hydraulics & gearbox oil. The fuel system will likely be gummed up too, so wait until the tank is almost empty & add a bottle of fuel/injector cleaner.

You do like fuel injector cleaner don't you :p

You do like fuel injector cleaner don't you :p

It has its uses, particularly for those folks who frequent supermarket filling stations.

IIRC petrol is only formulated for a 30 day shelf life. On a car that's done just 1000 miles in six years, it'd be reasonable to expect gum & other residues to have deposited throughout the fuel system.

When it comes to my motors I trust my Dad way more than I ever would FIAT. He has kept me on the road for 17 years unlike FIAT. But thats another story. He says it is all good and thats good enough for me. We will change the oil next week though. at minute it is sweet anyway. All polished up now and looking smart for the new year!! All the best for New Years

It has its uses, particularly for those folks who frequent supermarket filling stations.

IIRC petrol is only formulated for a 30 day shelf life. On a car that's done just 1000 miles in six years, it'd be reasonable to expect gum & other residues to have deposited throughout the fuel system.

Its nearer 90 days in the air (a vented container etc) or 180 in a sealed container, such as modern fuel tanks. It doesn't gunk after that, just the burning quality lessens, not by much mind.

When it comes to my motors I trust my Dad way more than I ever would FIAT. He has kept me on the road for 17 years unlike FIAT. But thats another story. He says it is all good and thats good enough for me. We will change the oil next week though. at minute it is sweet anyway. All polished up now and looking smart for the new year!! All the best for New Years

Good luck with it....

just hope the belt holds on.... Probably not the end of the world if it snaps as its a safe engine However i wouldn't fancy it on the motorway at 3am in the pouring rain

Hi,
I myself have just invested in a 1.1 54 plate. You sound like you have had a great deal. Mine has no service history unfortunately so it's in the garage at the moment having oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, cam belt, water pump and coolant along with a full service. It's done 37k and runs really well! Needs a good clean but mechanic hasn't found any nasties. I know I need to change the back box before the next mot though as it looks like its on its way out. I intend to get some injector cleaner to run through the system.

Last edited:
Hi,
I myself have just invested in a 1.1 54 plate. You sound like you have had a great deal. Mine has no service history unfortunately so it's in the garage at the moment having oil and filter, air filter, spark plugs, cam belt, water pump and coolant along with a full service. It's done 37k and runs really well! Needs a good clean but mechanic hasn't found any nasties. I know I need to change the back box before the next mot though as it looks like its on its way out. I intend to get some injector cleaner to run through the system.

Back box will be fine, probably just the box skin (y) leave it until it actually goes ;)

Nice one.
Been for a run today in it and it was averaging 45mpg at a constant 70mph so well happy with that. Its a good 10 mpg up on my stilo 1.8 . Ok it'"s not as quick etc but it is more fun in a way. We love it

Back box will be fine, probably just the box skin (y) leave it until it actually goes ;)

Good stuff! One thing I would like to know is what speed on motorways is best for economy? I've never had such a small engine, I am use to my 2litre diesel! Should I do 70 or would 50-60 give a noticeable increase in mpg?

Good stuff! One thing I would like to know is what speed on motorways is best for economy? I've never had such a small engine, I am use to my 2litre diesel! Should I do 70 or would 50-60 give a noticeable increase in mpg?

Cruising above 55mph in the petrol Panda results in a significant increase in fuel consumption.

Thanks for this, i thought it was the other way! I will give it a go and see what happens.

25 mph will give even more mpg but will drive you crazy. A petrol engine doesn't increase its consumption with speed quite as sharply as a diesel but the Panda's not the most aerodynamic shape; nevertheless, I'd still do 70-75 just to keep myself awake and stop every journey turning into a trudge.

Think I will stick to 50-55 then, hopefully car ready tomorrow! Can't wait!

Back